Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Are O'Hara and Boateng the first choice pair from Pompey this season? What's the point in getting both? They've both just been relegated.

Bassong was relegated two seasons in a row.

You what? :lol: My point is, if they are the first-choice pair at Portmsouth, erm, they're at the crux of the side who've just finished rock bottom in the Premier League. By a long way, too. Are you seriously advocating taking them out and putting them into ours? Aye, i know it's a team effort n all that, but centre-midfield is the very heart of the side.

I'd really prefer us to keep away from the relegated players tbh, certainly in bulk anyway.

Are O'Hara and Boateng the first choice pair from Pompey this season? What's the point in getting both? They've both just been relegated.

Bassong was relegated two seasons in a row.

I know we have a lot of secret Spurs fans on here, so how is Spurs 4th choice doing these days.

You what? :lol: My point is, if they are the first-choice pair at Portmsouth, erm, they're at the crux of the side who've just finished rock bottom in the Premier League. By a long way, too. Are you seriously advocating taking them out and putting them into ours? Aye, i know it's a team effort n all that, but centre-midfield is the very heart of the side.

I'd really prefer us to keep away from the relegated players tbh, certainly in bulk anyway.

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen O'Hara or Boateng play, I just think it's wrong to write players off because they've been relegated.  After all the same central midfield got to an FA Cup final.

I think they normally play a 3 in the middle and the fact their defence has consisted of various player who are totally gash might have more to be with the matter (Hreidersson, Mokoena and Wilson to name but 3)

Reo-Coker, Taarabt & Keane would cost around 12-15m, then add a few players who'd be cheaper like Mendy from Hull and a window like that shouldnt be out of our reach.

Think I would rather go for O'Hara or Boateng for next season, don't think we can take gambles on players like Taarabt unless it was a loan or something, or we had a s*** load to spend (doubtful).

The reason I'd go for Taarabt is because he's more offensive, more direct (running at players) and can play in a lot of positions, just behind the striker for example, giving us more options upfront. He's more skillful, and we'll need someone different. I like O'Hara, but if Barton can get back to somewhere near his best then he could do the same role, and Reo-Coker would possibily compliment Barton better.

I just feel incredibly uneasy going for two centre-midfielders that have just exited the Premier League whilst dropping like an absolute stone. In isolation, maybe aye, cos that O'Hara lad sounds promising - but both of them? Risky busines that like... especially when you consider (from an on-pitch perspective) it was largely our midfield personnel that sent us up shit creek on numerous occassions last season.

Those two would walk into the centre of midfield and would be decent competition for the wing. I know where you are coming from but Pompeys situation this season has played a massive part in their relegation. Their strikers haven't chipped in with too many either have they?

We went down because an immobile midfield, those two look pretty mobile (especially KPB).

back to gojko kacar.....hertha berlin are virtually relegated now. he's a cracking prospect, so i'd expect competition for him, but with us being champions we can get him early before the rush.

Bought him on FM, he's fucking AWESOME.

Just saying, at least somebody rates him.

How about Sejad Salihovic? Excellent set piece taker/creative midfielder. Could be what we need. Hoffenheim have a few good players.

Looking at it objectively, yes we want quality but we can't afford to be too picky. We're at the bottom of the Premier League ladder, we need to get a foot hold before anything and although a midfielder like Reo-Coker wouldn't be my first choice he'd certianly be an improvement with what we've got. If we're planning to play Nolan or Guthrie in the middle next year we're going to need someone with legs to make up for their lack of engine.

Actually anyone who can run faster than an old woman and pass a ball more than five yeards would be ideal.

Disagree. He's held a relatively solid goalscoring record throughout his career, he isn't absolutely prolific but he's always struck me as a smart player who can absolutely still cut it at the top level, and particularly if he's a regular starter. Him and Carroll would have potential IMO (albeit you lot would have better idea) with the way Keane can drop off and link the midfield.

KD would have a good insight, I know he wasn't happy with him in his 2nd stint?

I wouldn't mind him here if it was a reasonable fee and wages. Think he's a pretty good leader and a smarter player than just a goal scorer.  He hasn't scored that many since he's moved to Liverpool though (not including time spent at Celtic as that's a micky mouse league).  But I can see why people see him as a player in decline and with his best years behind him.  If we were to get him and the fee was high and wages were a bit silly then the pressure would be on and the boo's will follow.  Some of my mates who are Spurs fans think that he was only farmed out to Celtic as a means of punishment by Redknapp for the whole secret Christmas party thing.  Others say they know Spurs fans who feel he was a let down since he went back to Spurs. 

Portsmouth have been in a proper shit state this season. The ownership of the club has changed hands countless times, players haven't been paid, law suits hanging over the club etc. It's no bloody wonder they've been relegated.

They are like we were last season x 5.

They have some shite players, like every team that goes down, but they also have some decent young players who have looked the part individually this season. We might as well get them because if we don't, another team will.

I'm fairly certain West Ham went down with a central-midfield of Carrick and Joe Cole. ;)

I'm fairly certain West Ham went down with a central-midfield of Carrick and Joe Cole. ;)

Wasn't Steve Lomas their captain?