Watford 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 27/02/10 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Guest icemanblue

GG doesn't look happy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/Tamwarmasood.jpg/201px-Tamwarmasood.jpg

:lol: Aye, there's Anwar, er... Tamwar.

From the 80 minutes i saw:

Harper 6

Simpson 6

van Aanholt 6

Williamson 6

Colo 8

Guthrie 6

Nolan 6

Smith 5

Guttierez 7

Best 5

Carroll 7

Ranger 6

Hughton's been near-perfect when it comes to identifying the right players to bring in. Even with Pancrate, who's generally turd - ideally brought in as an impact sub and that's what he is...

But Leon Best. That takes some serious, serious explaining. In January; it would only have been worth signing a striker if he was better than what we already had. To sign one that's actually worse than our current bundle. Good God. Just don't understand it.

Hughton's been near-perfect when it comes to identifying the right players to bring in. Even with Pancrate, who's generally turd - ideally brought in as an impact sub and that's what he is...

But Leon Best. That takes some serious, serious explaining. In January; it would only have been worth signing a striker if he was better than what we already had. To sign one that's actually worse than our current bundle. Good God. Just don't understand it.

Sums it up. A truly puzzling signing.

Guest firetotheworks

Stick that in your trash talk GG!

Harper: 6 Fine, hardly had a thing to do

Simpson: 6 Decent, I barely noticed him, but tbf overlapping doesnt really work with Guthrie

Williamson: 8 Solid, no nonsense, unfussy, composed. Impressive

Coloccini: 9.5 Fucking ridiculous. Quieter in the second half, but only because Watford had to change up after he completely took the piss out of them in the first half. He only had one moment in the 2nd where he took it too far and invited pressure, but that aside he was outstanding.

Van Aanholt: 7 Looks a very good prospect, shame we couldn't keep him for a bit longer, because we dont know how Jose will fair coming back from an injury. Good run to get the corner that we scored from. He's put in a good shift for us, and will leave with most of us having fond memories of him.

Guthrie: 6.5 Did ok, got an assist with a lovely corner again, but it's the same story, he's so much better in the middle, and most of his better stuff was when he was drifting inside. Played a Hollywood ball to Carroll in the second half.

Smith: 6 Worked hard, put in a shift, but still isn't at the heights as a DM as he was at the start of the season

Nolan: 6.5 Did ok actually, I still think he doesnt offer a lot, but he was far less invisible today, he basically played in the same role as Smith, but got forward on the odd occassion.

Jonas: 7 In the first half everything of note went through him, absolutely everything. For all his faults, he's the only fucker that gets up, gets at it and scares defences. Second half he quitened down, but in doing so it afforded more space to Carroll and the Midfield

Best: 5 I'm still willing to give him a chance because he just looks scared to make mistakes, and because of that, he is. Call a spade a spade though, he was poor.

Carroll: 8 Very good, good hold up play, nice goal, decent in the air. The type of game that people will rightly hark back to when he's playing badly. He needs more of those performances.

Ranger: 6 Didn't do much wrong, but didn't really go for the jugular.

Pancrate: 6 Didn't have a lot of time

R Taylor: 6 As above.

Hopefully he didn't cost too much. :undecided:

I know. Honestly just can't get me head round it. We didn't need cover for the strikers - we already had plenty of people who could play up top. Like i say - it would only be worth bringing one in if he was a substantial improvement on what we had.

It know it's sorta no-lose, on the face of it. But it kinda isn't really. It's hindering Ranger's promising progress and it'll restrict our business in the summer if we go up. Do you reckon Ashley will sanction another signing if we've already got 6 players who can play up top? Signing the guy in the first place was baffling, but for 3.5 years aswell? Mental.

Canny win that, typical away performance by us.

I thought Colo and Mike were awesome, especially curly tots, he's so far above this league its crazy. Watford had alot of possession but bar a very lucky and perhaps offside goal didnt really look like making the breakthrough. We're slighly static in midfield and it allows teams to have the ball alot but at the end of the day we have the best defence and best keeper in the league (even with,  arguebley  two of our strongest defenders out - Taylor and Jose) and it shows.

Carroll and Colo took thier goals very well, should have killed the game off in the second half but Best's final ball was poor when we had 3 on 2.

Nice result by Leicester, 8 points clear of NF in 3rd with a game in hand.

I think your putting a little bit too much emphasis on the signing tbh. We needed another striker once the other deals went dead and we havent spent loads of money on him. If it doesn't work out for him here, he'll probably get a move in either the summer or next Christmas. It's not like its another Luque signing or that the signing is costing us points at the moment. It was a small gamble that hasn't worked off yet but I'll judge Best at the end of the season.

Guest Heneage

GG turns up 5 minutes late and hears that Watford are 0-1 down:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/Tamwarmasood.jpg/200px-Tamwarmasood.jpg

:lol:

Brilliant.

It seemed a weird one at the time, you would hope that Hughton has seen something that we haven't but no sign of it so far. He certainly doesn't seem to enjoy playing with Carroll.

Guest icemanblue

On another note, since we won, and Forest got thrashed, I think I might wait untill the Football League show tonight, after watching Chelsea get fucked by Man City.

What are you on about, mate?

Honestly don't think we've missed Steven Taylor one bit.

If anything, it might improve him as his place isn't assured anymore. Williamson has really looked the part and Hall has been quietly competent so far too.

I think your putting a little bit too much emphasis on the signing tbh. We needed another striker once the other deals went dead and we havent spent loads of money on him. If it doesn't work out for him here, he'll probably get a move in either the summer or next Christmas. It's not like its another Luque signing or that the signing is costing us points at the moment. It was a small gamble that hasn't worked off yet but I'll judge Best at the end of the season.

That's where i disagree though, Otter. We didn't need another striker, not from a numbers perspective - certainly not. What would have been very nice - to take us over the promotion line (hand in hand with Routledge) - was a striker better than what we had already. Cover was never an issue.

We're not guaranteed to sell him like.