Watford 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 27/02/10 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Honestly don't think we've missed Steven Taylor one bit.

Indeed. I think Williamson has done just as well in the games I've seen and heard about.

Guest Heneage

If anything, it might improve him as his place isn't assured anymore. Williamson has really looked the part and Hall has been quietly competent so far too.

Knowing Hughton his need to keep the big names happy, he may even drop Simpson, to accomodate Taylor.

Had we not raced in and signed Williamson and Hall, we'd have been up shit creek without a paddle. Massive credit for Hughton for this, as you're absolutely right - we haven't missed Taylor.

I think considering that Harewood was heavily involved pre Christmas but then returned to Villa, Ranger is still a bairn and that Shola has a horrific injury record, a striker was required if for no other reason than a back up player.

If anything, it might improve him as his place isn't assured anymore. Williamson has really looked the part and Hall has been quietly competent so far too.

Knowing Hughton his need to keep the big names happy, he may even drop Simpson, to accomodate Taylor.

That would do for me. I like Simpson but he's only so-so, and Taylor's always looked a half-decent full-back.

I don't think I've seen as good a defensive display from any of our players since we had Woodgate, Coloccini gets a 10 from me today as he was worth 12 out of 10 in the first half and 8 in the second.

Guest firetotheworks

I've been impressed with Williamson, but I'm not as sure about us keeping clean sheets as I was when Taylor was playing. Whether those two players are the main reason for that, I dont know.

That would do for me. I like Simpson but he's only so-so, and Taylor's always looked a half-decent full-back.

Aye. Would be quite happy with that, tbh.

Hughton's been near-perfect when it comes to identifying the right players to bring in. Even with Pancrate, who's generally turd - ideally brought in as an impact sub and that's what he is...

But Leon Best. That takes some serious, serious explaining. In January; it would only have been worth signing a striker if he was better than what we already had. To sign one that's actually worse than our current bundle. Good God. Just don't understand it.

I think your putting a little bit too much emphasis on the signing tbh. We needed another striker once the other deals went dead and we havent spent loads of money on him. If it doesn't work out for him here, he'll probably get a move in either the summer or next Christmas. It's not like its another Luque signing or that the signing is costing us points at the moment. It was a small gamble that hasn't worked off yet but I'll judge Best at the end of the season.

That's where i disagree though, Otter. We didn't need another striker, not from a numbers perspective - certainly not. What would have been very nice - to take us over the promotion line (hand in hand with Routledge) - was a striker better than what we had already. Cover was never an issue.

We're not guaranteed to sell him like.

Signing Best does seem to have kicked Carroll into a goal-scoring frenzy though. It might have been a big burden to be the main man, who's to say he would be scoring so freely if there wasn't Best in the squad?

I've been impressed with Williamson, but I'm not as sure about us keeping clean sheets as I was when Taylor was playing. Whether those two players are the main reason for that, I dont know.

Taylor and Colo already had a (vague :lol:) understanding going into this season, though, aswell as a pre-season. Williamson and Colo probably don't compliment each other aswell, but i wouldn't put it down to a difference in ability (between Williamson and Taylor). More just playing time.

Comes down more to the ever-declining legs of our central midfielders, I think. From what I've seen, Williamson looks a better central defender than Taylor and also a better foil for Colo. I'd like to see Taylor at right back.

Hughton's been near-perfect when it comes to identifying the right players to bring in. Even with Pancrate, who's generally turd - ideally brought in as an impact sub and that's what he is...

But Leon Best. That takes some serious, serious explaining. In January; it would only have been worth signing a striker if he was better than what we already had. To sign one that's actually worse than our current bundle. Good God. Just don't understand it.

I think your putting a little bit too much emphasis on the signing tbh. We needed another striker once the other deals went dead and we havent spent loads of money on him. If it doesn't work out for him here, he'll probably get a move in either the summer or next Christmas. It's not like its another Luque signing or that the signing is costing us points at the moment. It was a small gamble that hasn't worked off yet but I'll judge Best at the end of the season.

That's where i disagree though, Otter. We didn't need another striker, not from a numbers perspective - certainly not. What would have been very nice - to take us over the promotion line (hand in hand with Routledge) - was a striker better than what we had already. Cover was never an issue.

We're not guaranteed to sell him like.

Signing Best does seem to have kicked Carroll into a goal-scoring frenzy though. It might have been a big burden to be the main man, who's to say he would be scoring so freely if there wasn't Best in the squad?

Carroll is another who deserves a good deal of credit tbh. A month ago i thought he couldn't give a shit as he was guaranteed games - but he's realised he needs to get his act together, and in fairness to him, he's kicked on and earned the shirt - rather than got it by default. He's in great form at the moment.

Taylor and Colo already had a (vague :lol:) understanding going into this season, though, aswell as a pre-season. Williamson and Colo probably don't compliment each other aswell, but i wouldn't put it down to a difference in ability (between Williamson and Taylor). More just playing time.

I disagree with that like. Colo has looked a better defender alongside Williamson in the games I've seen.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shush man you're not allowed to say that.

Thought Colo played better last season when he was along side anyone other then S.Taylor.

Thought Colo played better last season when he was along side anyone other then S.Taylor.

It isn't even worth discussing Colo last season. Had a little bit of form just before New Year where he looked excellent, but aside from that, he was generally a lost cause whoever he was playing with. Steven Taylor wasn't very good either, like.

He did quite well alongside Bassong so yes you have a point.

Guest firetotheworks

I think, in this league (ugh) there's very little difference between Taylor and Williamson, which is excellent considering they're both very capable being the hammer at the back, while Colo writes poems with his feet. Should we go up, it'll be interesting to see what Williamson is like. I really like how unfussy he is though, he just never seems to mess about. If he and Colo could take something of each others game (in that Colo does mess about, but messes about well) then we could have a decent partnership on our hands.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It isn't even worth discussing Colo last season. Had a little bit of form just before New Year where he looked excellent, but aside from that, he was generally a lost cause whoever he was playing with. Steven Taylor wasn't very good either, like.

I'm not saying Colo was good by any means last season, but always thought his better games happened when he wasn't playing alongside Taylor. Taylor's unpredictable football brain seemed to unsettle Colo at times. I mean, if you were a Defender and your partner kept bombing it up the field or doing silly things I'm sure it'd unnerve you too.