FIFA Ponder Scrapping Offsides

Guest Stephen927

Would be madness to remove the offside rule - people just need to suck it up and accept that sometimes linesmen make mistakes.

We could help them out by simplfying the rule so that a touch on the ball is required for offside, or alternatively that everyone in an offside position counts. It's the 'intefering with play' thing that's got everyone up in arms.

agreed.   do something about the diving before you tamper w/ scrapping the offsides rule.  imo, the modern game of fottball has (d)evolved past the effectiveness of the gentlemen's rules of association football.  now that there's big money at stake, fair play has gone out the window--just ask thierry henry.  something needs done about the yellow/red card system first.

Maybe it is just me, but I would never change the yellow and red card system. Love it or hate it, that is football, imo. Same with offsides.

Doesn't hockey have a rule whereby you can only pass a certain length of the field?

The puck must cross the blue line before any player, basically.

I think they are talking about field hockey.

They're not.

Unless you mean the quoted text in the OP, and not Towelie and the others.

There's off side in hockey ???

EDIT: Suppose they're talking about red line off side. Pretty big f***ing difference.

My first thought was Ice Hockey - and that it does indeed have offside on players entering the offensive zone prior to the puck

So it must mean Field Hockey - and I have no idea on the rules of field hockey - offside or not.

Would be madness to remove the offside rule - people just need to suck it up and accept that sometimes linesmen make mistakes.

We could help them out by simplfying the rule so that a touch on the ball is required for offside, or alternatively that everyone in an offside position counts. It's the 'intefering with play' thing that's got everyone up in arms.

agreed.   do something about the diving before you tamper w/ scrapping the offsides rule.  imo, the modern game of fottball has (d)evolved past the effectiveness of the gentlemen's rules of association football.  now that there's big money at stake, fair play has gone out the window--just ask thierry henry.  something needs done about the yellow/red card system first.

Maybe it is just me, but I would never change the yellow and red card system. Love it or hate it, that is football, imo. Same with offsides.

it'd be fine if refs wouldn't bottle the calls

Guest firetotheworks

Offside is class, its the new version of it that, although good in theory, is almost impossible to get right. Bring back the old version I say, there was little wrong with it, and it was easier to officiate.

As a referee - the Sin Bin concept would be another tool to let the referee manage the game.  Not as severe as a Red or Yellow (which is half way to a dismissal), the sin bin could be used to add discipline and minor penalties. 

It would all depend on the referee and his ability to use this new tool - and any referee who fails to manage a game with the current cards will probably still fail with the Sin Bin option. But for most referees it would be a very usefull tool for game management -  although perhaps difficult to manage without an official scorer when multiple infractions are occuring.

Offside is class, its the new version of it that, although good in theory, is almost impossible to get right. Bring back the old version I say, there was little wrong with it, and it was easier to officiate.

The old version of offside was terrible.  Right winger was a shade offside on the right touchline, but the ball is played up the left side with the left winger onside....PEEEP!!!!  Offside!!

The new version is must better - it just needs the commentators to understand the LOTG and the difference between interfering with play, interferring with a player and being in an offside position but not interfering

Doesn't hockey have a rule whereby you can only pass a certain length of the field?

I don't see how hockey applies in anyway to football though. Hockey is a much faster game played in a much smaller area.

The direction I was heading is that even if hockey doesn't have an offside rule, you still can't just belt the puck from one end of the field to the other.

As a referee - the Sin Bin concept would be another tool to let the referee manage the game.  Not as severe as a Red or Yellow (which is half way to a dismissal), the sin bin could be used to add discipline and minor penalties. 

It would all depend on the referee and his ability to use this new tool - and any referee who fails to manage a game with the current cards will probably still fail with the Sin Bin option. But for most referees it would be a very usefull tool for game management -  although perhaps difficult to manage without an official scorer when multiple infractions are occuring.

One hindrance is that the clock isn't stopped in Football, which could make it difficult to make sure the correct time is spent there and so on. I'm all for it if they find a way to execute it in a good way without making too many changes to the existing game. (i.e. starting to stop the clock to use this rule etc.)

This I am all in favour off. And cameras.

I think the Sin Bin is stupidity of the highest level. Just my opinion, though.

I believe the current offside rule is perfect and ideal. The problem is that it is just very difficult to officiate.

Some reaction:

http://www.nufc.com/images/2001-01-13sa.jpg

:lol: :lol:

One hindrance is that the clock isn't stopped in Football, which could make it difficult to make sure the correct time is spent there and so on. I'm all for it if they find a way to execute it in a good way without making too many changes to the existing game. (i.e. starting to stop the clock to use this rule etc.)

Doesn't matter. Seeing as the clock is supposed to stop when the ball isn't in play, yet the balls only in play for 50 or so minutes of the average 90-minute match, whether a player spends exactly 3 minutes in the sin-bin or not isn't a big deal.

Make sure the clock doesn't start ticking (an official would have to supervise the sin-bin anyway) until the player's in the bin, and there's a good chance they'll be off the pitch a good deal faster than any subbed or red-carded player.

Well there is nothing stopping a 'sin-bin clock' being started/stopped when the ball went out of play.

It would be the worst move in football ever, and to me it all seems to be aimed at attracting the North American countries to the game with more goals involved in the game.

I wish FIFA would stop coming up with these daft new changes to try and get these countries to like the game, fuck them, it's their loss. If the do make that rule change then they may well get more people in North America and such watching, but they will lose every other country.

The Sin Bin is a good idea in theory, but it will be used as an adantage to the big clubs in my honest opinion.

Over all I think the game is spot on (outside of the finacial world), maybe add goal line technolgoy, but thats it, if anyone else doesn't like the game then they can pretty much fuck off. All we really need as it's already been said is referee's who can be in charge of the game and more fairly and for commentators to understand the game more.

As inventors of the game we should be able to call the shots and not some old swiss cockend.

Dang I always though Blatter was German. That's a shame.

We do have a say. Any formal change to the laws of the game has to be agreed to by the IFAB (International Football Association Board). FIFA has 4 votes on the committee, the other 4 are split amongst the home nations - the FA, the Irish FA, the Welsh FA and the Scottish FA. Seeing as you need 6 to carry a motion... it would be easy to block.

As inventors of the game we should be able to call the shots and not some old swiss cockend.

We do have a say. Any formal change to the laws of the game has to be agreed to by the IFAB (International Football Association Board). FIFA has 4 votes on the committee, the other 4 are split amongst the home nations - the FA, the Irish FA, the Welsh FA and the Scottish FA. Seeing as you need 6 to carry a motion... it would be easy to block.

Shouldn't FIFA have only 1 vote?

didn't they try that at the 94 world cup?

I think giving an offside decision simply because a player has his arm ahead of the last defender is kinda daft. I think an experiment is a good thing. And I agree with the opinion that the game would flow more.

Bad news for teams like newcastle that possess not one ounce of creativity in them, though! :nope:

This isn't offside, it's only offside if it's a part of your body with which you can legally score.

Well there is nothing stopping a 'sin-bin clock' being started/stopped when the ball went out of play.

Doesn't seem much point when the ref so rarely stops his. Just make it 5 minutes. That's probably pretty close to 2 minutes in hockey.

Shouldn't FIFA have only 1 vote?

Nope - they originally had 2 (so that the 2/3 majority could work) but back in the ... 50's or sometime a long long time ago they changed it to 4 so that FIFA could block changes to the rules as before then the home nations could change the laws of the game alone if they voted in a block!

Doesn't seem much point when the ref so rarely stops his. Just make it 5 minutes. That's probably pretty close to 2 minutes in hockey.

Since the game of Football is a 3rd longer then Ice Hockey then that would mean 3 minutes would be about the same porpotion of time for a sin bin.

Referees have a wrist watch to manage time - usually with stop watch that has an additional "stopwatch Add time feature". So that way they are tracking the game time, plus stoppage/injury time.  Without a 4th official managing the Sin Bin times, the referees would need to start carrying something beyond a wrist watch to manage game time and sin bin time. Workable for pro-Leagues but tough to bring down to lower level leagues.