Best English Midfielder since Gazza

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scholes. By quite a distance tbh. :)

Could just about do it all and did it so fucking well. His legs have gone now but he was consistently incredible for 10 years (1996-2006ish)

Guest dover

Tough choice between Scholes and Beckham. The frre kick to get qualification for the world cup last time around sealed it for me.

None of the others have brought so much to the fans of the entire country with one goal. Simple really. Dont forget without him we would have missed the euros and the world cup, six years without a competition? Unthinkable.

Tough choice between Scholes and Beckham. The frre kick to get qualification for the world cup last time around sealed it for me.

None of the others have brought so much to the fans of the entire country with one goal. Simple really. Dont forget without him we would have missed the euros and the world cup, six years without a competition? Unthinkable.

Dont forget though that without that 1 single kick, he would also have been a major part of a team that many not have qualified. Its not like he came in at the last minute to save us.

For as fantastic as that goal against Greece was, I shall never forget that when the chips were down against Brazil (in Japan 2002), all he could do was resort to throwing himself to the ground.

I voted for Gerrard. That athleticism of his gives him the edge over Lampard and Scholes.

Beckham isn't in the same league as those three.

:kasper:

He's never really been a big fan of Beckham, or Owen actually. Likes a bit of Shola though. ;)

Guest Roger Kint

I voted for Gerrard. That athleticism of his gives him the edge over Lampard and Scholes.

Last bits fair imo, the rest is not

He's never really been a big fan of Beckham, or Owen actually. Likes a bit of Shola though. ;)

Pretty good record, I'd say.  ;)

Useless in every major tournament he played in for England mind.

What you haven't mentioned is that Beckham had spent the previous 89 minutes of that game, rushing around like a headless chicken, trying to do everybody's job except his own. He rescued the team from a bad overall performance, but he did much to create the poor performance himself.

Getting over-involved and mucking up the formation is a fault that has largely gone from his game, but it nearly cost us dearly on that occasion.

What you haven't mentioned is that Beckham had spent the previous 89 minutes of that game, rushing around like a headless chicken, trying to do everybody's job except his own. He rescued the team from a bad overall performance, but he did much to create the poor performance himself.

Getting over-involved and mucking up the formation is a fault that has largely gone from his game, but it nearly cost us dearly on that occasion.

:lol:

So you would have preferred he stayed in his nice little right midfield box while everyone else fucked up our chances of qualification? Beckham ran the show that day, and rightfully too.

He was excellent that day. Problem is, from then onwards whenever England were struggling he tried to replicate that performance by doing everything himself and was pretty much always shit.

So you would have preferred he stayed in his nice little right midfield box while everyone else fucked up our chances of qualification? Beckham ran the show that day, and rightfully too.

Bit of a cause and effect debate. My point was that his running the show nearly fucked up our chances of qualification. He ended up running into Lampard and Gerrard's space, crowding them out and leaving us with no outlet on the right. I know the general theory is that Beckham was a hero that day, but I'm not the only one who sees it a bit differently.

A similar thing happened in that later qualifying game against Northern Ireland, only in that instance we didn't get away with it and ended up getting beaten 1-0. We had two of the best midfield players in Europe in Gerrard and Lampard, but then employed an idiot to bang the ball over their heads. Thankfully, Eriksson never made the same mistake again.

Bit of a cause and effect debate. My point was that his running the show nearly fucked up our chances of qualification. He ended up running into Lampard and Gerrard's space, crowding them out and leaving us with no outlet on the right. I know the general theory is that Beckham was a hero that day, but I'm not the only one who sees it a bit differently.

Jesus.  We know you have a personal grudge against Beckham but that's just bullshit of the highest order.

Ran into Lampard and Gerrard's space.  :lol:

Beckham played Greece on his own that day because no one else showed up.  He was immense.

Gerrard then Beckham for me, Gerrard has shown he has what it takes to be better than everyone else on the park in the biggest possible stages and Beckham for his consistently excellent play over a long career. I'm not taking england matches into consideration because I don't often watch them.

IMO Gerrard has only been able to show himself in a team of great players for England and he's always been pretty poor.

I used to blame the managers but really I think he just not very good when he's not the main man or can't just play a simple role to great effect.

Also I think his best form has come in a secondary striker role or one of great space. He was getting raped by Kaka in Istanbul for the first half as a CM... Alonso came on - stopped Kaka (which stopped Milan) allowed Gerrard to play.

Scholes has shown he can do it box to box, secondary striker or this old man role he has now.

Also Gerrard's been culpable for some clangers in his time. Noticeably against Arsenal a couple times.

Against France in the world cup. I thought he was the worst player on the park at home to Croatia under McClaren too.

Also Gerrard's been culpable for some clangers in his time. Noticeably against Arsenal a couple times.

Against France in the world cup. I thought he was the worst player on the park at home to Croatia under McClaren too.

Euro's, weren't it?

I guess it depends on what quality you are looking at in a midfielder. Beckham for me. Scholes was great but he is essentially a goal scoring attacking midfielder who can also arrive late in the box. Don't think that sets him apart from Gerrard and Lampard though maybe he was more consistent (Lampard was very consistent too under Mourinho). Beckham on the other hand was unique especially at his days in Man Utd. His crossing was the best probably in all the major leagues nevermind just England and that sets him apart. Yeah you can say that he is one trick pony but that one trick brought Man Utd plenty of goals including probably two of their most important against Bayern.

Besides a midfielder should have minimal competence in all areas of play and Scholes is unbelievably shit at tackling, that alone disqualifies him for the top honour.