Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Just watching Roy's press conference. Haven't seen any of the wank questions yet but Roy's face is just quality in a few shots. He looks like a little kid at times, such a likeable guy

Guest ToonZA

cowell's face :lol:

and that picture of hogdson :scared:

Cowell gets fucking scarier each time I see him.....

Just watching Roy's press conference. Haven't seen any of the w*** questions yet but Roy's face is just quality in a few shots. He looks like a little kid at times, such a likeable guy

Yeah. Remember that game in Rome when Fulham were robbed due to a ludicrous refereeing performance. At one point Roy was literally the personification of anger: face clenched and raised fist shaking. :lol:

I like the man, won't get a fair chance by the media though which has been evident so far.

It is funny seeing the scousers on Facebook though, seem really defensive about their treatment of him and their current manager (Cage meme), so tempted to give them some shit but I really can't be fucked. Especially as one is a really spot on bloke away from football but when it comes to football he is the biggest wanker going.

Guest ToonZA

I'd count Rooney as the only world class player in the squad. Hart still has a way to go before he can be classed in that category. I think Cole is a good defender but thats where it ends. I still have the mental image of Ronaldinho putting him on his backside.

For most posters here England is their national team so I can understand the views they have about their national players but in reality Roy will have to get them playing way above the level they have ever produced for their national team if they want to be a success at the Euros. I cannot see the big guns quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing the likes of Welbeck, Smalling, Carrick, Parker, Crouch, Sturridge, Johnson, Gerrard, Jones, etc. Has any of these players performed consistently at international level or at CL level? Some have not even performed at club level.

I wish England well but the odds are stacked heavily against them.

Hodgson will get the best out of what we've got I'm sure. As long as the players don't start whinging behind the managers back like they were at the world cup, bunch of fairies.

As for world class? Ashley Cole and Rooney. We also have a few decent youngsters. We are lightyears away from the likes of Spain and Germany, absolutely lightyears.

Ashley Cole would make any national team though, cracking player.

arent you scottish? or just moved there...

It's confusing, but I'm actually English. Born in Bristol but lived in this wonderful place for most of my life.

I'd go:

Hart

Richards Terry Cahill Cole

Jones

Parker  Osman

Lennon                      Young   

Holt

These lot in consideration:

Foster

Smalling

Walker

Sturridge

Defoe

Baines

Crouch

Walcott

King (if fit)

Rooney (suspension)

Lampard

Rodwell

Osman starting for England :lol: I do like him, but starting him in the Euros? No chance.

Our big problem has been imo we don't have a 'Tiote-style' defensive-midfielder to play in a 4-4-2. We've always tried Barry (too slow and limited), Parker (ditto) or shoehorned Lampard or Gerrard into uncomfortably filling that sort of role.

Osman starting for England :lol: I do like him, but starting him in the Euros? No chance.

Our big problem has been imo we don't have a 'Tiote-style' defensive-midfielder to play in a 4-4-2. We've always tried Barry (too slow and limited), Parker (ditto) or shoehorned Lampard or Gerrard into uncomfortably filling that sort of role.

It is why I hoyed Phil Jones there, not safe enough for a centre back but easily the best ball winning midfielder England has.

Get what you say about Lennon Ronnie, but I think his experiences put him ahead of Walcott, slightly, especially with Holt upfront. Graham is another shout in that role.

My thinking is defensive unit with 3 players playing for one club, and GK and richards making up the rest (from same club - should give us a bit of understanding at the back) a extra defender in the centre protecting them all, then something different elsewhere. Loads of pace on the wings, Lennon, Walcott, Young & Sturridge, then take a chance on Holt, top English goalscorer (3 behind Ba) behind Rooney until he's back from suspension.

I dare say put Scholes in there, but since its taboo, Osman is the only Englishman capable of any technical ability in the centre of the park, Gerrard is pretty much ruined, Lampard too selfish, so Osman, something different.

Lampard is too selfish?

Why has he got more assists than anyone in Premier League history (apart from Giggs I think) then?

For England he's a different beast. You know that, the battle between him and Gerrard done them both in.

He basically dragged England to WC 2006 and was probably our best player in Euro 2004.

Pick him ahead of Stevie G instead of with him and he'll shine.

That was a long long time ago like, he's not that player any more. I agree about Gerrard mind, he needs to concentrate on getting fit for Liverpool's relegation battle next season.

Guest Craig-NUFC

9g5ru5

I suppose it is the sun.

Isn't that 2 days in a row they have taken the p*ss out of his speech impediment on the front page?

Yeah, but you're forgetting that speech impediments are fucking hilarious. Nothing funnier than picking up on something someone has difficulties with and then ripping the shit out of them with it.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Hart is a world class keeper I say this with confidence. It's no accident that he was able to keep shay given out of a team and we all know how very good he is from his time at nufc. Some of the saves I've seen from hart you'd only see from top class keeper like him and shay. Ashley cole is a top left back too and as mentiod rooney is class. Then there are others up for debate like gerrard who has been top notch for lfc for a long time though marred by injury in this season and last a fair bit too, and you could say others have the potiental to be world class, like wilshere for example. So yeh, as metioned, its up to hodgson to get these good players performing like they can and get some strong group cohesion in the team, then england have a chance of impressing everyone.

Hart is a world class keeper I say this with confidence. It's no accident that he was able to keep shay given out of a team and we all know how very good he is from his time at nufc. Some of the saves I've seen from hart you'd only see from top class keeper like him and shay. Ashley cole is a top left back too and as mentiod rooney is class. Then there are others up for debate like gerrard who has been top notch for lfc for a long time though marred by injury in this season and last a fair bit too, and you could say others have the potiental to be world class, like wilshere for example. So yeh, as metioned, its up to hodgson to get these good players performing like they can and get some strong group cohesion in the team, then england have a chance of impressing everyone.

I'm convinced that Given's the most overrated Toon player ever.

Just a thought. A lot of people dismissed Pardew's chances of the England job based purely on the basis droopy face was a shoo-in to get the gig, I wonder how seriously they actually considered him? The FA were quick to emphasise that there were more than two people on their shortlist.