Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

A bit underwhelm with Hodgson's appointment. Although I thoroughly despise slappy face, can't help but feel he is the better manager. Hodgson's teams have not been terrible but they rarely do anything significant either and their style of play is a hotchpoch of many things without really exploiting the advantages of any particular style. For me, our games against Fulham for example are amongst the least interesting fixtures of the season.

But maybe that is what England need, to go into a tournament with low expectations so that the press are not declaring us favorites even before the first kick off. All this does not change the fact that I'll be supporting Les Bleus though especially if HBA gets selected.

A bit underwhelm with Hodgson's appointment. Although I thoroughly despise slappy face, can't help but feel he is the better manager. Hodgson's teams have not been terrible but they rarely do anything significant either and their style of play is a hotchpoch of many things without really exploiting the advantages of any particular style.

As ignorant a post as you'll find.

A bit underwhelm with Hodgson's appointment. Although I thoroughly despise slappy face, can't help but feel he is the better manager. Hodgson's teams have not been terrible but they rarely do anything significant either and their style of play is a hotchpoch of many things without really exploiting the advantages of any particular style.

As ignorant a post as you'll find.

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment thank you  :lol:

What is wrong with the English press? Why do they always want the national team to fail? It´s just insane. Maybe if they really supported the team instead it would get better.

Greece and Denmark have won it remember. It's not about individual brilliance it's ultimately about preperation and matchday performances with tons of organisation. Roy is the man.  :aww:

I don't think we should have ruled out a foreign candidate. Of the two English managers, Hodgson is probably the better bet, but there were drawbacks with both and the FA should have been more open-minded.

I don't think we should have ruled out a foreign candidate. Of the two English managers, Hodgson is probably the better bet, but there were drawbacks with both and the FA should have been more open-minded.

I agree, the FA have handled this pathetically by sticking to English.  It's been a bit like when we had Shepherd and one type of manager failed so he went for the opposite. 

With England it's been a case of the foreigner has failed so let's go English.

Guest neesy111

I agree, the FA have handled this pathetically by sticking to English.  It's been a bit like when we had Shepherd and one type of manager failed so he went for the opposite. 

With England it's been a case of the foreigner has failed so let's go English.

International Football is totally different than club football.

It would have been asking a bit much for a non-English manager (or, at least, one not currently working in the Premier League) to step in at the last minute, familiarize himself with the available players, and get to grips with the whole England set-up

It would have been asking a bit much for a non-English manager (or, at least, one not currently working in the Premier League) to step in at the last minute, familiarize himself with the available players, and get to grips with the whole England set-up

English football is seen all around the world.  It's possible that somebody who watches from afar could know as much as a manager who predominantly watches 1 team every week and the others 2 or 3 times a season, could know at least as much or even more than one managing in this country.

I'm quite happy to give the guy a chance and see how he does.

This vilification is absolutely criminal when you consider he's spent his life in football and achieved success. He may not be everyone's first choice but there's not a candidate out there who would have met with universal approval.

That said, I'm nowhere near as bothered about England as I used to be so I struggle to get that passionate about the poor sod who's got to 'motivate', 'coach', 'develop systems for' a bunch of tossers who clearly feel they're more important than they actually are.

Don't see how anyone can be disappointed with this appointment really, given the alternatives and the short time until the Euros. We were never going to get Mourinho, and Redknapp is a massive cock. There aren't many suitable managers I can think of that could step in right now, Hodgson is experienced and knows the players inside out.

Guest Roger Kint

Plus they want someone to work with the St Georges Centre in Burton, hard to find a foreign coach with a decent knowledge of Under 18's/21's and is willing to take on such a job.

Don't see how anyone can be disappointed with this appointment really, given the alternatives and the short time until the Euros. We were never going to get Mourinho, and Redknapp is a massive cock. There aren't many suitable managers I can think of that could step in right now, Hodgson is experienced and knows the players inside out.

Even Mourinho would've been met with derision in some quarters. Its the impossible job, especially so when you've got arseholes like Martin Samuels just waiting to shoot you down.

Hodgson should wait until one of them bastards switches newspapers and criticise the move in a different paper, saying what a cunt he is and how a different Chief Sports Editor would've been the better appointment.

Pack of bastards, the lot of them.

Mourinho should have been the manager the FA moved heaven and earth to get if they were serious about England doing well as I think he would have been perfect for the job.  I know he made noises about not wanting the job but most managers were saying that and most would have made an about turn if offered it.

Mourinho should have been the manager the FA moved heaven and earth to get if they were serious about England doing well as I think he would have been perfect for the job.  I know he made noises about not wanting the job but most managers were saying that and most would have made an about turn if offered it.

There's no way he's ready to drop club football to take a part time role in international football.

Maybe in ten years.

There's no way he's ready to drop club football to take a part time role in international football.

Maybe in ten years.

He's got a massive ego so you never know what he would have said if offered the job.

Guest neesy111

Mourinho has said on numerous occasions he doesn't want England job, he still wants the Portugal job which Real Madrid refused for him to do at the same time.

Completely forgetting how he still hasn't finished what he started at Real etc.

Maybe in ten years.

He's got a massive ego so you never know what he would have said if offered the job.

It's a job for someone who is 55+ imho. There's no way a relatively young coach like Mourinho should be doing it.

As much as I'd love a 15 year contract given to someone like with a vision throughout all England age groups, I just don't see it happening.

9g5ru5

I suppose it is the sun.

Just cant get over this front page like, sickening.

It's so insulting to a guy who has been in management for 35 years and probably feels like he's reached the pinnacle of his career.  Wouldn't blame him for looking at that and thinking "ah, so this is what I'm fucking dealing with then" although he knew what he was signing up for.