MLS 2010

Kaizero

http://sportingsmilesblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/roy-lassiter.jpg

Roy Lassiter was the man during the inaugural season. Including my beloved Mutiny's kits.

Good god, they were hideous.   :smitten:  but i don't care.

hah, my roommate has a Mutiny kit, although I think it's a striped one?  Either way, it's a Valderrama kit.

Just looked at it, it looks like this: http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/3374/carlosvalderrama2.jpg

Why are the MLS shirts like $90 ?

They may be the authentic ones?  There are two levels.  The "real" ones are like $100 and the replica kits are like $70.

Cant we (NUFC fans) only get replica's?

And on a side note, last I heard they brought the Rowdies (Sam Allardyce played for them in 83 and now coached by Kenny Daglish's kid) franchise back this season and are playing in the temporary USL/NASL league (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSF_Division_2) for this season.

On a side note, I think that this USSF Division 2 league is the first step in getting some relegation/promotion type system down.  Nothing has really been said about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if something came of it to give the MLS season a "real" feel where something is actually on the line. 

You've seen my pic, non?

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25622_759526341575_61406985_45576349_6436360_n.jpg

Kiss my badge.

How come the Adidas nadge is the wrog way around?

Are you wearing it inside out?

And on a side note, last I heard they brought the Rowdies (Sam Allardyce played for them in 83 and now coached by Kenny Daglish's kid) franchise back this season and are playing in the temporary USL/NASL league for this season.

Our former striker dynamo himself, Paul Dalglish, is the manager too.

I have to get myself up to speed with all the USL/NASL shenanigans. There was a big mess and I don't really know what's the second tier in the US anymore.

Some clubs from the USL announced they were going to start playing in a new NASL league and then the proverbial shit hit the fan so US Soccer stepped in and is making a division that all of the teams can play in for one season to keep soccer going at that level while they figure it all out.  I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome were to merge everything into one huge division ala England/Football League.  There's been a lot of talk about relegation in MLS and I think having all of these other "second rate" leagues (USL/NASL) feuding might be a good opportunity for the MLS to step in and make it all one big league like mentioned above.  It might prove just the distraction/crap shoot needed to get this thing going.

They even call this one-season league "Division 2"

Why are the MLS shirts like $90 ?

They may be the authentic ones?  There are two levels.  The "real" ones are like $100 and the replica kits are like $70.

Cant we (NUFC fans) only get replica's?

As far as I know, unless you go on ebay and get a match worn shirt you're not really getting the real thing.

To be honest though, I think the authentic kits you get from the MLSStore/clubs/etc only really just have the necessary badges and aren't really made of any different material.

Still haven't been to an MLS game yet, it an odd spot as Columbus, Chicago, and Toronto are all about 3 or 4 hours plus from me, too much for a one off MLS game, did go to the Gold Cup Final a few years ago though.

As of now I've adopted Seattle as my team, just because they're the most fun to watch. That is, until a Detroit team arives.

:smitten:

Still haven't been to an MLS game yet, it an odd spot as Columbus, Chicago, and Toronto are all about 3 or 4 hours plus from me, too much for a one off MLS game, did go to the Gold Cup Final a few years ago though.

As of now I've adopted Seattle as my team, just because they're the most fun to watch. That is, until a Detroit team arives.

:smitten:

I've heard that after Vancouver and Portland start their franchises ('11) they are only going to add one/two more teams.  I have a feeling they'll go to Montreal and St. Louis (or may somewhere in the South).  Montreal is almost a shoe-in though - their stadium is great and the city really supports them well.  I've been to a few matches there and while it's kind of small, there is always a great atmosphere.

Montreal's stadium:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8105/stadesaputo01.jpg

http://sportingsmilesblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/roy-lassiter.jpg

Roy Lassiter was the man during the inaugural season. Including my beloved Mutiny's kits.

Good god, they were hideous.   :smitten:  but i don't care.

hah, my roommate has a Mutiny kit, although I think it's a striped one?  Either way, it's a Valderrama kit.

Just looked at it, it looks like this: http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/3374/carlosvalderrama2.jpg

The Seattle Sounders have taken those obnoxious 90s era colours as their own.

They do have a cool sponsor though (XBOX),

Will the MLS owners go for relegation?? I can't see them accepting the idea.

One of the fundamental things of the american sports leagues is that, no matter how badly your team do, you will still be in the top league next season. This is what enables them to pay huge money to the stars (yeah, i know they don't get paid shit loads in MLS compared to NFL, NBA etc but they do when you consider the size of the audience is a lot smaller than the other sports) is the fact that they know the Broadcasting money and sponsorship will still be there next season, unlike here where if you get relegated from the Premier League you know you are gonna take a massive hit financially.

One of the fundamental things of the american sports leagues is that, no matter how badly your team do, you will still be in the top league next season. This is what enables them to pay huge money to the stars (yeah, i know they don't get paid s*** loads in MLS compared to NFL, NBA etc but they do when you consider the size of the audience is a lot smaller than the other sports) is the fact that they know the Broadcasting money and sponsorship will still be there next season, unlike here where if you get relegated from the Premier League you know you are gonna take a massive hit financially.

Don't think it will ever happen. There's no tradition of it in yank sports, and owners would run foul because of the financial insecurity. College sports and minor leagues have filled the hole that lower divisions occupy in Europe. Since your hometown is unlikely to have a top team, you follow your uni's team.

One of the fundamental things of the american sports leagues is that, no matter how badly your team do, you will still be in the top league next season. This is what enables them to pay huge money to the stars (yeah, i know they don't get paid s*** loads in MLS compared to NFL, NBA etc but they do when you consider the size of the audience is a lot smaller than the other sports) is the fact that they know the Broadcasting money and sponsorship will still be there next season, unlike here where if you get relegated from the Premier League you know you are gonna take a massive hit financially.

The alternative is a competing league (or two) which doesn't serve their interest either.  I do think the MLS will go for a European style league structure in 2011.  You won't have a competitive American domestic league until it happens.  It will be better for the MLS clubs in the long run.

I currently live about 10 min away from the Carolina NASL team in the breakaway league.  Last week they hosted New England in a pre-season friendly, they have Montreal this weekend.  Going to both.  They had Sheffield Wednesday over last summer.  The quality isn't anything great at the moment, but when they host the Mexican sides for friendlies it is really worth going.  Place is packed, $2 tacos, Tecate beer.  $1 beer on some of the mid week matches.  :pow:

Don't see how relegation would work in America for the exact reason you mentioned above + the teams in the lower divisions have crap/small stadiums and are in not so large metro-areas.

Back on the original point, I think I might just observe the MLS this season without picking a team and then go with Portland next year. I used to like the Trailblazers in the NBA when I was into basketball back in the mid 90's so it's as good a link as I am likely to get. And I've always thought of Oregon as a nice sort of place, I've never been but it looks nice, if you get what I mean.

They might have crap stadiums in some cases, but these aren't small areas in Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, Montreal etc.

A promotion/relegation structure is going to mean a financial hit for the team that goes down obviously.  But you can work out some sort of revenue sharing for the first three years to keep the bottom clubs afloat.  And in the long run, it brings a much larger market for the league.  The MLS can't remain a closed club.  Not when you have an essentially suburban area like Columbus with a pro team and a massive Hispanic (and football mad) market like Miami or Puerto Rico without one. 

They might have crap stadiums in some cases, but these aren't small areas in Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, Montreal etc.

A promotion/relegation structure is going to mean a financial hit for the team that goes down obviously.  But you can work out some sort of revenue sharing for the first three years to keep the bottom clubs afloat.  And in the long run, it brings a much larger market for the league.  The MLS can't remain a closed club.  Not when you have an essentially suburban area like Columbus with a pro team and a massive Hispanic (and football mad) market like Miami or Puerto Rico without one. 

Sadly, I think in the long run they'll address that in the NFL way. A million teams spread around all the possible markets and an unbalanced schedule.

Incidentally, is it this season the first time that MLS will run a balanced schedule?

I'm not sure that the powers that be would ever do a promotion/relegation system for MLS/soccer in America but there has been a lot of buzz about it over the past few years from purists who are more and more getting involved with soccer in America.  This whole debacle with the USL/NASL might be just the distraction needed to get this kind of system off the ground though, especially if they can work out a way where teams won't be too affected by being relegated (the only one the owners might agree).  Another issue will be that MLS learned from their first go-round and want to expand the newest incarnation very slowly (unlike last time where they didn't and ended up imploding themselves).  Like I said, I don't know if it'll happen I just wouldn't be totally surprised for the whole situation right now with competing brands to MLS to turn into some form of a new MLS structure.

You've seen my pic, non?

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25622_759526341575_61406985_45576349_6436360_n.jpg

Kiss my badge.

I like that kit a lot. Nicer than Addidas ever put together for NUFC. The pose is quite ridiculous, though.

I have one of these type MetroStars shirts with Diallo on the back.

http://www.byronalvarez.com/chivas_alvarez_08142002v111.JPG

Or at least I used to have one.