Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Howaythetoon

Lets be honest, O'Niell is a better manager than our own Alan Pardew and would respresent a good appointment for the mackems regardless of his short comings. The man delivers and that is what football is really about. Yes he spent a shit load at Villa but how muich say did he have on what to pay for players and what to pay them in wages? That said, when we were linked with him under FS I didn't want him here because deep down he's just another ordinary manager and by all accounts, he bottled it at the lost minute. He'll do well for them if appointed.

I'd rather have Pardew by the way, simply because I think he is better suited to us. O'Neill would probably be shit here how we are ran under Ashley. He'll need a lot of money at the mackems. Anyway, it doesn't matter who they appoint, they will forever live in our shadow because quite simply their 'city' is an absolute shit hole, their folk racist, scummy, chav fuckwits and their club... well just look through the annals of history. :lol:

On the face of it things seem a lot brighter for them since sacking Bruce. There are pretty good managers wanting the job. When we are in this situation it seems like a parade of managers ruling themselves out of the opportunity to work with our board.  I think the vast majority of us would have been happier with oneil than pardew.

Sunderland are already losing 30m a year and Short has put in over £100 million already. It will only get worse with a Manager like O'Neill.

Yes he spent a shit load at Villa but how muich say did he have on what to pay for players and what to pay them in wages?

He did.

Lerner took over the club, found MON the manager in waiting, and appointed him, leaving him in total control - and Lerner's biggest failing so far was to trust MON so utterly and totally.

As soon as that stopped - the minute he was asked to work on the wage bill - he was out of here like a rat up a drainpipe.

He'll do better at Sunderland than Bruce did, but if there's not big - really big - money available, it will end in tears.

Incidentally, this isn't just a Villa thing, he left Celtic with an English Premier League wage bill in the SPL. Even the most pro MON Celtic fans would raise an eyebrow at paying Bobo Balde 40k a week.

There are lots of good things about O'Neill, too, to be entirely honest, but his legacy for us has been walking out on us five days before the start of the season, and leaving us with a crippling wage bill.

I thought O'Neill was non-existent at training sessions and stuff? Rather have Pardew now, seems more involved.

O'Neill's input at training was next to zero.

He'd turn up on Tuesday and occasionally Thursday and leave training to Walford and Robertson, or "Bibs and Cones" as the players nicknamed them.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

"What an absolutely bitter cunt you are" :lol:

The guy was being pretty friendly too, bizarre.  :lol:

so it looks like MON is the front runner for #safc ... how are you red&white's feeling about that? Hughes a better appointment perhaps??

:lol:

That's fantastic! :lol:

On the face of it things seem a lot brighter for them since sacking Bruce. There are pretty good managers wanting the job. When we are in this situation it seems like a parade of managers ruling themselves out of the opportunity to work with our board.  I think the vast majority of us would have been happier with oneil than pardew.

A year ago? Certainly, but back then, most of us would have had pretty much anyone but Pardew. Today, you'd be mental if you think we'd be better off with O'Neil, short, medium and long term.

I think it'll be a decent appointment short and medium term for the mackems, but hopefully he'll cripple them longterm and leave them with more old, has been high earners on their books.

Guest Howaythetoon

Certainly not sure if he's a better coach, as OCK pointed out, which is fundamentally what we need right now.

Like you say though HTT, O'Neill would be an unmitigated disaster under our current set up.

I don't think he's even a coach so there is no argument there, Pardew is a better coach, but overall, O'Neill is a better manager you have to say based on his CV if anything. Pardew has the potential to go onto better things mind. I get the impression O'Niell needs the right set up and right people around him to succeed whereas Pardew could probably succeed or rather do a decent enough job off his own steam based on his hard work, willingness to learn and of course his tactical ability which has probably impressed me most since he become our manager. I also get the impression with Pardew that he is willing to throw whatever he knows or has learned out of the window for something else if it made him a better manager or brought him better results, the likes of O'Niell are too stubborn, too set in their ways. Pardew is a new breed of manager or coach, O'Neill is old school if you like.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yes he spent a s*** load at Villa but how muich say did he have on what to pay for players and what to pay them in wages?

He did.

Lerner took over the club, found MON the manager in waiting, and appointed him, leaving him in total control - and Lerner's biggest failing so far was to trust MON so utterly and totally.

As soon as that stopped - the minute he was asked to work on the wage bill - he was out of here like a rat up a drainpipe.

He'll do better at Sunderland than Bruce did, but if there's not big - really big - money available, it will end in tears.

Incidentally, this isn't just a Villa thing, he left Celtic with an English Premier League wage bill in the SPL. Even the most pro MON Celtic fans would raise an eyebrow at paying Bobo Balde 40k a week.

There are lots of good things about O'Neill, too, to be entirely honest, but his legacy for us has been walking out on us five days before the start of the season, and leaving us with a crippling wage bill.

That's scary then if its true as you say.

I could never ever see MON managing at our club. Everything about his style is contrary to what we are doing at present. Bruce was no different, look at the signings Bruce made (Wes Brown etc) we just aren't going to go into that sort of crap again. Allardyce killed that off. You got decently paid off - but thanks Sam.

Certainly not sure if he's a better coach, as OCK pointed out, which is fundamentally what we need right now.

Like you say though HTT, O'Neill would be an unmitigated disaster under our current set up.

I don't think he's even a coach so there is no argument there, Pardew is a better coach, but overall, O'Neill is a better manager you have to say based on his CV if anything. Pardew has the potential to go onto better things mind. I get the impression O'Niell needs the right set up and right people around him to succeed whereas Pardew could probably succeed or rather do a decent enough job off his own steam based on his hard work, willingness to learn and of course his tactical ability which has probably impressed me most since he become our manager. I also get the impression with Pardew that he is willing to throw whatever he knows or has learned out of the window for something else if it made him a better manager or brought him better results, the likes of O'Niell are too stubborn, too set in their ways. Pardew is a new breed of manager or coach, O'Neill is old school if you like.

Personally I'm no fan of stubborn, old school managers and prefer the European style set-up where the staff and infrastructure stays the same and the coach is just that - a coach. I think there is a stigma around that kind of set-up in this country but I honestly think for mid-range clubs (ourselves, Everton, Villa, mackems etc) it is the best way forward.

As much as I can highlight O'Neill's faults it's true that you really can't argue with his record on paper, I just don't think he's the right option for a club trying to close the gap with the top 6.

Personally I'm no fan of stubborn, old school managers and prefer the European style set-up where the staff and infrastructure stays the same and the coach is just that - a coach. I think there is a stigma around that kind of set-up in this country but I honestly think for mid-range clubs (ourselves, Everton, Villa, mackems etc) it is the best way forward.

As much as I can highlight O'Neill's faults it's true that you really can't argue with his record on paper, I just don't think he's the right option for a club trying to close the gap with the top 6.

You can't argue with it on paper, that's true, but if you look at his managerial record, it in no way tallies with his reputation.

All he's won in England are two league cups 15 years ago.

He did well in Scotland, but McLeish did as well, in a two horse race.

Three sixth place finishes for a club which has for a long while been more or less a 6th-8th place club, after spending a fortune, is good, but not amazing.

Like I say, he's a good manager in many ways, but football is changing, and the main reason Villa never pushed on from sixth is because the areas where you really need nous to make up the gap - tactics and transfers - are his two gigantic weak points.

For me one of the most disappointing things when we appointed McLeish (and there were a few, in fairness) was that he's a real old school British manager. That's not forward thinking whatsoever, and I don't really see how appointing MON, who is the very same, is going to help Sunderland to any massive degree.

He'll get them top half, but no further.

Guest Heneage

Can't say I've heard many Geordies using marra. Seems exclusively a smoggie/mackem type thing.

A lot of older generation Geordies that I know often use the term marra. I hear it mostly in and around Durham myself mind.

:thup:

Must be very much a generational thing. Just a bairn ya see.

Further proof you aren't from Chester-Le-Street as that's where I hear it most. :lol: