Sunderland...

Heron

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Leicester FM Researcher on discussing attribute distributions for manager. Talks about MON:

Hey, I've wanted to bring this up for a while and now he actually has a researcher to rate him, something needs to be made of MON's profile.

I know he managed us over 11 years ago now, but I'm sure Andy, the Villa researcher will attest to all this, because one thing you will soon find out about MON is that he manages exactly like Clough, who he played under, did and never changes his ways.

But MON, imo, is a good example of one of the problems with the current CA system with coaches/managers, because his coaching and tactical side of the game are virtually non-existent and so I think he needs discussing.

He doesn't even turn up for training and leaves all his coaching to Steve Walford, just like Clough used to and he doesn't bother with tactics whatsoever. Doesn't bother with any of the modern tactical or statistical analysis programmes etc. and we've had players under him come out and say his entire tactical analysis of the game basically consisted of something along the lines of "stop the big man and you'll stop them scoring."

What he is is a great man manager and motivator and a great spotter of players too. So, imo he should have very high ratings in man management, motivation, jpa, jpp and level of discipline. However, he should have very low ratings, well into the single digits for everything related to coaching and tactical knowledge (and that includes mental coaching which he currently has a very high rating in).

However, the problem with this is his CA is going to be distorted because less than half of the attributes which are covered by the CA really matter to him. For example, in game he has a tactical knowledge of 16, but when I look in the editor he has a rating of 13 (which is still ridiculously overrated imo and should be more around a 3 or a 4. I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but he really doesn't bother with tactics at all, he has said in the past he doesn't believe they matter, just like Clough didn't and yes, on a worldwide scale I imagine that's fair, as most non-league and semi-pro managers will at least try and learn the basic ways one formation can possibly nullify another or have some basic knowledge and use of statistical analysis) and this is the problem with the weighting system for managers.

Because so few of the attributes actually apply to his style of management and the coaching and tactical ones really don't at all, if you are going to give him a CA which properly weights this, he is going to be having a CA which is worse than a lot of Championship managers, which again is silly, but if you give him the CA of a good PL manager, similar to say, Redknapp, Hodgson or Moyes then his ratings in game are going to end up being weighted way higher than what they are rated as, because so many of them will be so low as he doesn't bother with them as manager, but this is why the CA weighting system, with regards to managers, falls down.

Guest Heneage

They have to pay up his entire contract don't they? I can see more clubs making a move towards Pardew style contracts, with bonuses being the incentive.

They can never bring themselves to do something that we haven't done before can they? :lol:

"The Mags were seemingly set to appoint O'Neill in 2006 - why don't we do the same?!""

Bet Roeder ends up their new manager :laugh:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

£7m to sack someone? How the f*** can that be allowed? :jesuswept:

Bruce must have had some great lawyers when discussing that contract.

Mr Llambias :troll:

£7m is a disaster, £7m for failure, it's totally wrong like, but they gave him the contract and they had to see the payment through.

Sometimes really love the way we do business under ashley, no more paying for epic failures, no more paying for anything really  :lol:

Guest Chubby Jason

They can never bring themselves to do something that we haven't done before can they? :lol:

"The Mags were seemingly set to appoint O'Neill in 2006 - why don't we do the same?!""

Bet Roeder ends up their new manager :laugh:

What a moronic appointment that was. Did O'Neill reject us or did Freddie want to go for Glen cos "big name managers had not worked in the past"?

Leicester FM Researcher on discussing attribute distributions for manager. Talks about MON:

Hey, I've wanted to bring this up for a while and now he actually has a researcher to rate him, something needs to be made of MON's profile.

I know he managed us over 11 years ago now, but I'm sure Andy, the Villa researcher will attest to all this, because one thing you will soon find out about MON is that he manages exactly like Clough, who he played under, did and never changes his ways.

But MON, imo, is a good example of one of the problems with the current CA system with coaches/managers, because his coaching and tactical side of the game are virtually non-existent and so I think he needs discussing.

He doesn't even turn up for training and leaves all his coaching to Steve Walford, just like Clough used to and he doesn't bother with tactics whatsoever. Doesn't bother with any of the modern tactical or statistical analysis programmes etc. and we've had players under him come out and say his entire tactical analysis of the game basically consisted of something along the lines of "stop the big man and you'll stop them scoring."

What he is is a great man manager and motivator and a great spotter of players too. So, imo he should have very high ratings in man management, motivation, jpa, jpp and level of discipline. However, he should have very low ratings, well into the single digits for everything related to coaching and tactical knowledge (and that includes mental coaching which he currently has a very high rating in).

However, the problem with this is his CA is going to be distorted because less than half of the attributes which are covered by the CA really matter to him. For example, in game he has a tactical knowledge of 16, but when I look in the editor he has a rating of 13 (which is still ridiculously overrated imo and should be more around a 3 or a 4. I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but he really doesn't bother with tactics at all, he has said in the past he doesn't believe they matter, just like Clough didn't and yes, on a worldwide scale I imagine that's fair, as most non-league and semi-pro managers will at least try and learn the basic ways one formation can possibly nullify another or have some basic knowledge and use of statistical analysis) and this is the problem with the weighting system for managers.

Because so few of the attributes actually apply to his style of management and the coaching and tactical ones really don't at all, if you are going to give him a CA which properly weights this, he is going to be having a CA which is worse than a lot of Championship managers, which again is silly, but if you give him the CA of a good PL manager, similar to say, Redknapp, Hodgson or Moyes then his ratings in game are going to end up being weighted way higher than what they are rated as, because so many of them will be so low as he doesn't bother with them as manager, but this is why the CA weighting system, with regards to managers, falls down.

''Great spotter of players''. :lol: So FM actually have specific researchers for clubs and they still manage to get the ratings so badly each year, wow.

''Great spotter of players''. :lol: So FM actually have specific researchers for clubs and they still manage to get the ratings so badly each year, wow.

Pretty sure 2 of our recent researchers were active members of this forum, check the FM thread

They are acting as if we are quaking in our boots right now. Biggest thing about O'Neill for me is his knowledge of overseas players appears very limited and therefore they will end up paying fortunes for British players. I don't personally think he is a great manager just middle of the road. Yes he did well at first for Villa but then he was given a pretty decent amount of money and he spunked a lot of it on shit players with Milner, Downing and Young the exception.

Mackems I know keep saying Short is loaded and will give him 70 million and stuff, what a load of bollocks. Didn't they fund the summer from henderson and bent money and let Gyan go because of 6mil loan fee. If he has to sell their players I don't think they have a single player worth more than 5 million that they own, wheras we arguably have 3 or 4 worth in excess of 10 in Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa