Kevin "CCC Lampard" Nolan: 'Toon are out to silence the critics'

Thespence

15 goals in the Championship from midfield means at least 4-5 in the Prem. He's done it before and his confidence will be higher than usual.

They're not midfielders, but anyone forced to watch Dave Nugent and Ebanks-Blake would probably disagree with that.

15 goals in the Championship from midfield means at least 4-5 in the Prem. He's done it before and his confidence will be higher than usual.

They're not midfielders, but anyone forced to watch Dave Nugent and Ebanks-Blake would probably disagree with that.

difference is nolan has proved he can score at prem level before on a reasonable basis for a midfielder previously

difference is nolan has proved he can score at prem level before on a reasonable basis for a midfielder previously

But for us, he has shown that he just does the disappearing part, minus the goals.

There was a game, not long after his debut, where I was watching it on the telly and did not hear of or see him for about 70 minutes. Crazy.

But for us, he has shown that he just does the disappearing part, minus the goals.

There was a game, not long after his debut, where I was watching it on the telly and did not hear of or see him for about 70 minutes. Crazy.

tbh last season he wasnt in good form with bolton and we were in bad form when he arrived plus bad morale, this season hopefully will have restored his confidence so he can get back some of his old form (and if he could drop a few pounds all the better)

The Championship looks to be his level. I still hope we sell him, as bar a miracle of Biblical proportions, there's no way Ashley is going to sanction signing a first team central midfielder to go directly into the first team on first team wages whilst Nolan sits on the bench with even bigger first team wages.

At this point in time, because he's pretty much a cast iron certainty to be a starter next season, I'm anticipating us playing with 10 men every week against the decent Premiership sides, with gaping holes in midfield being exposed by their players running freely at our defence. Whilst Nolan jogs back casually of course from striking positions, prior to giving up the chase of his gazelle-like midfield opposite number (ala our relegation season when him and Butt often just stood near the centre circle watching opposition midfielders pass the lube around before doubling up and molesting our centrebacks). And all we get in return are a few Nolan goals agaisnt the s*** teams that we're favourites to beat anyway, courtesy of him spending most of the match in the penalty box. Plus the odd assist, accompanied by the trademark vociferous Nolan-fist-pumping-on-his-own-and-aimed-at-crowd-to-make-sure-we-all-know-he-got-the-assist™ (Stuart Pearce ought to sue him). Plus the constant sound bites in the press about how the team must do better, a great tactic for masking an individual's own ineptness.

I hope I'm really wrong on this and he does make the grade next year.

Deserves a chance to start for the club next season, outstanding goal haul, worrying lack of performance for 2/3 months but come good again in the last few games i've seen him in (and scored in a few i havent seen).

Will be the club captain next season imo.

Agree with this. Rate him or not he's our best finisher. We should definately keep him as we may need a player who is capable of sticking the ball in the back of the net next year. He does seem to play better in a 451 and next year just as this year there may be games where we need to play 451 (i.e. Chelski away) and games we need to play 442 (i.e. west brom at home). Either way his scoring ability could prove handy.

He is a bit on the slow side and has debateable fitness compared to other premiership midfielders its true. However in the past few games his confidence has risen again and he's looked a good player. He seems to have a positive effect on other players too, very good for morale and the team.

His finishing has been excellent this season.  18 goals from midfield is superb.  That's double what Lee 'the jigsaw' Clark got in our last promotion season.  Fair enough he is no world beater but we would not have as many points right now if it wasn't for his goals. 

0 goals in four months for us last season. Face it, Ronaldo's right.

Nolan HAS been great this year, the problem for us will be that next season we won't be able to afford any passengers. We're going to need 11 players working their bollocks off for 90 minutes if we are going to survive. The top teams can cope with having a player who is in and out of games as the rest of the team are good enough.

If Nolan wants to play a part next season, even as a second striker, he will need to do more than stand around up the pitch waiting for either a team-mate to find him with a killer pass or the defenders to make a mistake that he can capitalise on, because with the massive rise in the ability of oppo these will happen less. In the PL you get out what you put in, the teams that press harder and force mistakes are more successful than those who sit back and wait for it to happen. I'm talking about the teams we'll be scrapping against next year btw, not the current top 7 or 8 who will no doubt be up there again next season.

He needs to buckle down over the summer, lose a considerable amount of weight and work on his overall fitness. If he plays like he has this season he'll get 1 or 2 goals in the prem and we'll have 9 outfield players working over time to cover him.

The Championship looks to be his level. I still hope we sell him, as bar a miracle of Biblical proportions, there's no way Ashley is going to sanction signing a first team central midfielder to go directly into the first team on first team wages whilst Nolan sits on the bench with even bigger first team wages.

At this point in time, because he's pretty much a cast iron certainty to be a starter next season, I'm anticipating us playing with 10 men every week against the decent Premiership sides, with gaping holes in midfield being exposed by their players running freely at our defence. Whilst Nolan jogs back casually of course from striking positions, prior to giving up the chase of his gazelle-like midfield opposite number (ala our relegation season when him and Butt often just stood near the centre circle watching opposition midfielders pass the lube around before doubling up and molesting our centrebacks). And all we get in return are a few Nolan goals agaisnt the s*** teams that we're favourites to beat anyway, courtesy of him spending most of the match in the penalty box. Plus the odd assist, accompanied by the trademark vociferous Nolan-fist-pumping-on-his-own-and-aimed-at-crowd-to-make-sure-we-all-know-he-got-the-assist™ (Stuart Pearce ought to sue him). Plus the constant sound bites in the press about how the team must do better, a great tactic for masking an individual's own ineptness.

I hope I'm really wrong on this and he does make the grade next year.

I hope you're wrong as well, but unfortunately I can see this happening.

If Ashley needs to sign one player, it's a mobile central midfielder. Hughton just needs to show him last season's DVD to get him to sign the cheque... the abusing the centrebacks got was embarrassing.

Guest Roger Kint

Good post.

About as good as yours to me about fighting for your country. Which war was that, Ronny? Primary school under 12s?

Always some pillock jumping in to drag a thread off topic simply at the sight of Ronaldo posting, grow up for gods sake. He is agreeing with a KEVIN NOLAN post and i agree with it also for the record, we will struggle with him in CM for any game Hughton chooses 4-4-2.

Guest Roger Kint

It amuses me how people can say that Lampard goes missing for Chelsea :lol:

I know hes fucking huge, how can you miss him ;D

Seriously though in a midfield carrying Ballack and Mikel its harsh to say anything about the constant bit of quality in there.

We absolutely cannot repeat the mistakes of the relegation season and carry anyone in midfield or we we will struggle again.

We will see in the close season if Hughton can be as ruthless as Keegan.

Keegan despite his nice guy image would absolutely show no sentiment in jettisoning an unfit player like Nolan as he would know the shortcomings of a player good in the championship but not good enough for the premiership.

Nolan will need to do some serious pre season work to impress the manager with his fitness IMO.

I hope he does because he is not too old yet to get back to his peak.

Nolan will need to do some serious pre season work to impress the manager with his fitness IMO.

I hope he does because he is not too old yet to get back to his peak.

This is one of the things that surprises me most about him, but also gives me hope that he can get properly fit. He's not that old and with some serious training he could get himself ready for a season in the premiership.

Even the likes of David Dunn and Andy Reid have put in some serious work and look fitter and stronger. Although they're always injured, but that's a different issue.