NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Lets just see what happens, we might get a suprise.

Go on...

Go on, what?  :lol:

With the secret info you seem to have.

I dont have any, i'm just saying "wait and see".

I only had one ITK and he was at reading many moons ago now  :lol:

An no, it wasnt the mascot.

You have to laugh at people turning their nose up at SWP. Especially when the same people were up in arms at releasing Routledge. SWP might not have covered himself in glory recently but it wasn't that long ago he was England's right winger.

You have to laugh at people turning their nose up at SWP. Especially when the same people were up in arms at releasing Routledge. SWP might not have covered himself in glory recently but it wasn't that long ago he was England's right winger.

if citeh are giving him away, literally, and he dropped his wages to something high but manageable i'd take him on a 1-2 year deal like

if, IF, he still has his pace

we wont be able to sign any body half decent from the prem league

we will have to import talent or get it from the lower leagues.

we simply will not pay the wage demands of most prem league players.

its both a good thing and a bad thing. good becuase it means we only really sign players that want to play for us and not the money. and bad because we cant get anybody of real proven premiership quality

AfroP you should post more. Especially after the forum mods banned avatar changes  >:D

SWP seems likely to move later rather than sooner, because no-one seems keen on matching his wages. At the same time, City look keen to offload him.

In the end, I don't think it'll be us. We seem to be stricter on our salary policy than many other clubs, and we're not in the kind of desperate position where we'd be forced to make an exception.

PS - I can understand people not rating SWP, but I don't understand the hostility.

don't think we'd get him and he certainly wouldn't be ideal but i wouldn't be up in arms if we brought him in on loan. he's been out of form for a while but he has got talent. much the same could be said of colo,nolan and barton for a while but it seems like the camaraderie/atmosphere at the club helps to get the best out of them. right now i wouldn't be against bringing in on loan players who have shown they've got talent and seeing if we can help them recapture it.

Hmmm... Not sure I follow that logic. Bothroyd was recently an England centre forward, are you keen for us to sign him up? At least he's shown some form in the last half a decade whereas SWP has been dreadful every time I have seen him without fail. My issue with replacing Routledge with SWP would be that they are essentially the same player, except one is older and would cost a lot more than the other. I've seen absolutely nothing from SWP to suggest his dip in form is temporary. He'd be another Damien Duff. We've got rid of so many of the highly paid mercenaries, adding another to the squad will hinder rather than help. If I was Carroll and he came in on double my wages, I'd be pretty hacked off. Same for Barton, Enrique and the likes who are near the end of their contracts - why should they take a wage cut if some underperforming has been is coming in on more salary. It's not just a player for player comparison, it's the effect on the squad. Taking out someone who is obviously not one of the high earners who didn't seem to expect to start and replacing them with someone who more than likely would (and with the wages he'd expect, I'd imagine Pardew would feel he'd have to play him as Ashley would want to know what the fuck was going on otherwise).

I'm not against getting rid of Routledge, but to replace him with SWP would be a pretty huge error in my view, whether loan or permanent.

Hmmm... Not sure I follow that logic. Bothroyd was recently an England centre forward, are you keen for us to sign him up? At least he's shown some form in the last half a decade whereas SWP has been dreadful every time I have seen him without fail. My issue with replacing Routledge with SWP would be that they are essentially the same player, except one is older and would cost a lot more than the other. I've seen absolutely nothing from SWP to suggest his dip in form is temporary. He'd be another Damien Duff. We've got rid of so many of the highly paid mercenaries, adding another to the squad will hinder rather than help. If I was Carroll and he came in on double my wages, I'd be pretty hacked off. Same for Barton, Enrique and the likes who are near the end of their contracts - why should they take a wage cut if some underperforming has been is coming in on more salary. It's not just a player for player comparison, it's the effect on the squad. Taking out someone who is obviously not one of the high earners who didn't seem to expect to start and replacing them with someone who more than likely would (and with the wages he'd expect, I'd imagine Pardew would feel he'd have to play him as Ashley would want to know what the fuck was going on otherwise).

I'm not against getting rid of Routledge, but to replace him with SWP would be a pretty huge error in my view, whether loan or permanent.

I'm assuming SWP would be prepared to take a significant wage cut which is what is suggested in the Journal. I haven't followed SWP's career lately so if he's lost all his ability for some reason then we should stay away. He's scored some pretty good goals in his time so I think that alone makes him an upgrade on Routledge. Isn't it possible that his acreer stagnated because he went to Chelsea and then City where the managers prefer a more hard working style? Not to mention they can afford the best players?

I'm assuming SWP would be prepared to take a significant wage cut which is what is suggested in the Journal. I haven't followed SWP's career lately so if he's lost all his ability for some reason then we should stay away. He's scored some pretty good goals in his time so I think that alone makes him an upgrade on Routledge. Isn't it possible that his acreer stagnated because he went to Chelsea and then City where the managers prefer a more hard working style? Not to mention they can afford the best players?

Ah, hadn't seen anything indicating he'd actually be willing to take a significant wage drop, if that's the case a lot of my argument is rendered useless...  Certainly could be the case regarding his form as you say, but that does stink of Duff, and he was certainly in better form (or, had spent less time out of form and out the team) at the time we signed him. My gut feeling is just that the one thing I've really liked about the Ashley reign is the move away from players living on past glories who the big clubs wanted rid of and started trying to bring in younger, hungrier players. I fear Pardew's main flaw might be his inability to work with this model / his desire to bring in 'names'. We'll see in time if that's unfounded or not, but the names he seems to mention in the press (Bentley, Roque Santa Cruz, Beckham) don't instill me with particular confidence in his skills in the transfer market. Funnily enough, I'd be quite happy to move to a director of football model as tried under Keegan at this point in time. Pardew seems to be doing alright with the players, just worried about ins / outs.

(Would definitely prefer to take a punt on Legear, looking at the newest posts)