NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Steinsson is decent enough, I'd take Elmander and Larsson as squad players as well.

Elmander isn't going to join us to be a squad player.

Pards has said he wants the lone striker leading our line next season to be 'young and fast'. Elmander is neither.

Some Premiership frees:

Johan Elmander, Sebastian Larsson, Nigel Reo-Coker, John Paintsil, Zoltan Gera, Gretar Steinsson, Abdoulaye Faye, Michael Kightly, Ricardo Fuller.

Inspiring.

out of that i'd take elmander larsson and reo coker for squad depth

Its a very smart (and obvious) strategy. Spend the money on quality and enlargen the squad with freebies. Going for Larsson, Wendt, Elmander etc is a no brainer.

Whether that calibre of player joins us to sit on the bench, however.

NoTW:

# Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is set to make an £11.5m double swoop for Lorient striker Kevin Gameiro and Toulouse left back Cheikh M'Bengue.

What is actually happening:

# Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is set to make a £20m double swoop for Birmingham striker Kevin Phillips and Liverpool left back Paul Konchesky.

So they rate Gameiro at £6.5m? Doubt it!

Isn't there a problem with his contract, as in he can leave for £3m to a foreign club in 6-12 months time? I'm sure something like that was mentioned in the jan window on here.

Its a very smart (and obvious) strategy. Spend the money on quality and enlargen the squad with freebies. Going for Larsson, Wendt, Elmander etc is a no brainer.

To an extent, but I'd imagine most of those would ask for fairly substantial signing-on fees too.