NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Borriello and Gameiro for £10m less than Carroll? :lol:

Sounds good in theory. The reality is it probably won't happen. In which case Bothroyd and Best doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

The source of the Borriello rumor is a German site, 4-4-2.com, don't know much about it. Here's a translated link from an Italian market watch site: http://bit.ly/kMdHsu . Until I see this in the regular Italian media I doubt there's much to it. Also I agree he doesn't seem a fit; he's not the kind of player who has a chance of turning into way more than we pay for him, which is what Newcastle should be shopping for. Especially at the quoted price of €14M. Full disclosure: I'm a Roma fan - my mother is from the neighborhood.

At home vs the newly promoted lol

---------------ii-Harper

---Taylor--------Colo----------Jose

-------------------Tiote

-Zoggy-----------Bart-------------Jonas

-------------------HBA

----------Gam-------------Ron

Boyd found some form when he moved to Notts Forest. Let's be honest, Boro were fucking dire this season bar the last 2 and a bit months.

The trouble is that Ronaldo thinks that just about anybody is better than Shola and Lovenkrands and seems to have completely blanked from his mind the entire season that the three of them spent in the same division where Lovenkrands got 13 in 19 starts (+10 sub), Shola got 10 in 11 starts (+7 sub) and Bothroyd managed 11 in a massive 43 starts (+0 sub). Fair enough if he's young but he'll be 30 by the end of next season and those are typical stats for him in the second tier.

Bothroyd reverting to his typical career form and being unable to hit a barn door since Christmas has been one of the main reasons that they've failed to be promoted. To say that he's "far better" than those two, for all their faults in the Premier League, is a complete distortion of the facts.

FWIW I very much doubt we're interested anyway.

Guest Heneage

Didn't think Borriello was 29 for some reason. I'd avoid personally, stick to the likes of Gamiero, younger players tend to adapt better.

Boyd found some form when he moved to Notts Forest. Let's be honest, Boro were fucking dire this season bar the last 2 and a bit months.

The trouble is that Ronaldo thinks that just about anybody is better than Shola and Lovenkrands and seems to have completely blanked from his mind the entire season that the three of them spent in the same division where Lovenkrands got 13 in 19 starts (+10 sub), Shola got 10 in 11 starts (+7 sub) and Bothroyd managed 11 in a massive 43 starts (+0 sub). Fair enough if he's young but he'll be 30 by the end of next season and those are typical stats for him in the second tier.

Bothroyd reverting to his typical career form and being unable to hit a barn door since Christmas has been one of the main reasons that they've failed to be promoted. That he's "far better" than those two, for all their faults in the Premier League, is a complete distortion of the facts.

I agree with you on that like, just the Boyd point I thought was a bit off.

Bothroyd reverting to his typical career form and being unable to hit a barn door since Christmas has been one of the main reasons that they've failed to be promoted. To say that he's "far better" than those two, for all their faults in the Premier League, is a complete distortion of the facts.

Spot on  :thup:

If our transfer policy is to bring in players that may be slightly better than Shola and Lovenkrands, the future is not bright. Thankfully, it doesn't seem this is the case.

Bothroyd reverting to his typical career form and being unable to hit a barn door since Christmas has been one of the main reasons that they've failed to be promoted. That he's "far better" than those two, for all their faults in the Premier League, is a complete distortion of the facts.

I agree with you on that like, just the Boyd point I thought was a bit off.

Fair enough. :thup: Did think it was quite funny that he knocked a few in after Boro couldn't wait to see the back of him.

Lets be realistic, if we do intend on bringing in a striker like Gameiro and we're going to play up one up front with Ben Arfa in behind then what level of striker do people think we're capable of bringing in if they're going to sit on the bench? Or are people happy with Ameobi and Lovenkrands as back up?

Lets be realistic, if we do intend on bringing in a striker like Gameiro and we're going to play up one up front with Ben Arfa in behind then what level of striker do people think we're capable of bringing in if they're going to sit on the bench? Or are people happy with Ameobi and Lovenkrands as back up?

Your solution is to bring in somebody with an inferior record to the pair of them?

Loven and Shola have had their chance in division. We need to look elsewhere.

I agree but we must be careful not to get any knacker in on the "can't be any worse" basis because if you buy players based on that, they usually are worse.

Until we know what system Pardew is planning to use it is hard to know what sort of striker would work best. If he plans to play three attacking players who are all capable of scoring around the new striker it may be that a big, strong Target man who can bring other players into the game and contribute 10 or so goals a season might well be more effective than an put and out goal scorer

Your solution is to bring in somebody with an inferior record to the pair of them?

Bellamy has an inferior record to those in the championship too but I'd fancy him to grab us a goal from the bench over either of them.

The difference for me is that we know at this level that Ameobi and Lovenkrands are terrible, I see Bothroyd along the lines of Beckford in that he's got something about him but we don't know if he can make the step up to this level, he could turn out to be terrible too but even then I'd think he'd still be on par with those two.

I agree but we must be careful not to get any knacker in on the nullcan't be any worsenull basis because if you buy players based on that, they usually are worse.

Quite agree.

If we didn't already have Best I'd have taken him. Realistically I think we're looking at two first-team strikers coming in, Best 3rd choice, Shola/Lovenkrands 4th choice depending on what style of striker is injured/suspended, with Ranger out on loan.

I agree but we must be careful not to get any knacker in on the "can't be any worse" basis because if you buy players based on that, they usually are worse.

That comes back to the point about how good a player do you think we could get that would accept being on the bench?

I do agree in some ways with the point you're making but I just think I'd rather try with someone like Bothroyd who I think could challenge best for 2nd choice striker than Lovenkrands and Ameobi who won't challenge him.