NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

The big Sunday Sun exclusive? Ranger up for sale. Meh.

Mark Douglas rallying everyone on twitter up for this?

Not really.  He said it would be a shock - but not a 'pitchforks out' type departure.  This qualifies as that I think.  You seen it nut?

I don't feel shocked nor have a feeling it will be 'a split verdict amongst nufc faithful'. More so for Smith.

Ok, 'shocked' to hear that Smith is actually wanted. That's about it though. Don't think he will split opinions among the fans.

So we want to ship Ranger out was the big "shocking" transfer news. Ok, I can live with that. But a little bit unnecessary to hype it this much...

Now, bring in Gervinho.

I wouldn't value him at anything until I know how good he actually is, I'm not in the 'he's had enough chances now' mindset because I don't think he has (1 start is it?).

Get him out on loan for a season or two then we will have a better idea. He has 5 years left on his contract so it's not like we don't have the time.

Just reminds me of when some would have bitten Stokes hand of when it was rumoured they wanted Carroll for £4m.

I think he could develop into a really good front man.  He has all the physical attributes and has shown instinct for goals at various levels. He has obviously had his problems adjusting to first team level - but so has many a young striker.  His attitude is the obvious problem with him.  The fear is that it will stop him from ever fulfilling his potential.

Guest guinness_fiend

I wouldn't value him at anything until I know how good he actually is, I'm not in the 'he's had enough chances now' mindset because I don't think he has (1 start is it?).

Get him out on loan for a season or two then we will have a better idea. He has 5 years left on his contract so it's not like we don't have the time.

Just reminds me of when some would have bitten Stokes hand of when it was rumoured they wanted Carroll for £4m.

This.  People are too quick to write-off young players nowadays if they don't develop into Messi overnight.  He's certainly worth retaining but loaning out for a season or two to see how/if he develops.

Guest BooBoo

The vast majority of players who make it are showing promise at a young age. The likes of Carroll whose game massively improved in twelve months are pretty much the exception rather than the rule. My gripe with Ranger, other than the faux gangster bullshit, is that he hasn't improved one jot in two years. He still looks unlikely to score and only rarely finds himself in space. He did have an impact on a handful of times last season by simply putting himself about, but there's very little finesse to his play.

£1m is bigger all these days though so it's worth the risk imo to loan him and see what he does. O still think he hasn't had nearly enough chances, that's not saying he has particularly deserved them here just I wouldn't judge him on the odd chance he has had.

Not expecting similar progress but it took Carroll half a season of regular first choice football to look better than an average championship forward.

I doubt we would do Rangers value (if it is currently £1m) any harm by letting him get a proper run.

Would just hate to see him getting ridden on the cheap for these off field problems which to be honest pale in comparison to a lot of players out there we would walk over broken glass for, then he turns out to be a good premiership forward.

I may be reading wayyy too much into it, but what if the possible sale of Ranger, means we could be getting both Gervinho and Gameiro?

IIRC We were getting either/or, not both, what if Pards has somehow persuaded Ash to part with cash to get both, but as a consequence we have to get rid of a striker we already have?

I hadn't given up hope for Ranger, so I'm disappointed if this is true. Obviously we don't know everything that's gone on behind the scenes with the player.

Still not convinced about this story, because if it's only about his attitude in training, we could loan him out in the hope that he might mature that way.