NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I have a feeling this could be yet another very frustrating summer for us. I don't think frustration is starting to find its way to us because we're not signing players every second day, but moreso because our squad- especially up front, as well all know- is so threadbare and desperately needs investment if we are to progress and not have a dismal season.

In saying that, signings such as Cabaye we're done under wraps and we're hardly picked up on until late on, so you never know.

But still, I am getting concerned such is our desperation to add to our squad and until we do that it won't get any better.

There's no reason to be frustrated though, that's the thing I don't understand. We've made some good moves and are obviously working on others.

There's no way our squad could be described as threadbare at the moment IMO. We obviously lack quality up front, but not numbers.

I don't know what kind of summer people were expecting, if what has happened so far seems negative to them. It just baffles me.

Couldn't agree more. The only minor frustration for me has been that we were clearly in for Gamiero, and missed out. Other than that it's the Enrique issue, but then that is completely out of our hands.

Oh, and regarding Long, I might be way off, but get a Bellamy vibe from the few games I've seen him play (and yeah, youtube too :lol:). Fast, hard working, calm and intelligent - seems decent. :thup:

Get a fucking grip man :lol:

The noises coming out of the club are of massive concern imo and you can only hope it's a load of rubbish to ensure that we don't pay over the odds for players.  The idea that the vast majority of of our transfer business is already done isn't just hard to swallow but totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Call me barmy, but if Enrique & Barton aren't fucked off we only really need a striker.

Ideally I'd like a more mobile player/better goalscorer than Barton/Jonas

It would be nice, but Barton and/or Jonas will do for now. In a perfect world we'd plug every gap and replace every player of questionable ability in one summer but that's never going to happen. There are a few key areas where we need to improve and if we manage that I'll be relatively happy.

I have a feeling this could be yet another very frustrating summer for us. I don't think frustration is starting to find its way to us because we're not signing players every second day, but moreso because our squad- especially up front, as well all know- is so threadbare and desperately needs investment if we are to progress and not have a dismal season.

In saying that, signings such as Cabaye we're done under wraps and we're hardly picked up on until late on, so you never know.

But still, I am getting concerned such is our desperation to add to our squad and until we do that it won't get any better.

There's no reason to be frustrated though, that's the thing I don't understand. We've made some good moves and are obviously working on others.

There's no way our squad could be described as threadbare at the moment IMO. We obviously lack quality up front, but not numbers.

I don't know what kind of summer people were expecting, if what has happened so far seems negative to them. It just baffles me.

It happens at every club during every transfer window. We're never totally happy :lol:

It happens at every club during every transfer window. We're never totally happy :lol:

Yeah of course, that's fine. And I know Ashley has earned his fair share of doubt/negativity. Just seems like we've done well so far from any objective point of view.

I for one are hoping we are strengthened during this window. Mostly because we got players we can trust doing a job out there instead of the kuqis and campbells. Hopefully the young uns will have a breaktrough aswell. Like ferguson, tavernier and kaz. Kadar might play a role aswell as vuckic. Right there we got a few backups with potential. And Gosling, Ben arfa like new signings we'll add Demba Ba, marveux and cabaye it all looks quite bright to me. Definitly better then we started off last season.

Hopefully N'zog will come in closer to deadline day. But what I really want is the club to make its own money and beeing selfsufficient. We are allready having far to many expenssive players not playing their part in the squad. When we do get rid we will be in a far better position in the marked.

Guest Antec

Get a fucking grip man :lol:

The noises coming out of the club are of massive concern imo and you can only hope it's a load of rubbish to ensure that we don't pay over the odds for players.  The idea that the vast majority of of our transfer business is already done isn't just hard to swallow but totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Call me barmy, but if Enrique & Barton aren't fucked off we only really need a striker.

Ideally I'd like a more mobile player/better goalscorer than Barton/Jonas

It would be nice, but Barton and/or Jonas will do for now. In a perfect world we'd plug every gap and replace every player of questionable ability in one summer but that's never going to happen. There are a few key areas where we need to improve and if we manage that I'll be relatively happy.

Long 6m (low wages) N'Zogbia 9m (wages covered by Barton sale), that would be both realistic and entirely affordable assuming Joey goes and we've still got 15m left in the kitty

Long would be a very disappointing signing.

We all saw first hand just how shite the standard in the Championship is last year, even Ranger managed a couple down there.

And Long has only looked good there for one year there on top of that.

Keep the money and put it towards getting N'Zogbia or another player who would really improve us would be my advice, add Long to our squad as it stands right now and he wouldn't even be in the starting 11 IMO.

Long isn't a big name but neither were Carroll or Charlie Adam a year ago and now Liverpool have spent nearly £50m on the pair. Sometimes it's a case of good scouting and judgement early on getting the players before their value rockets. Long has pace and skill, the question mark would be his finishing at the top level. I haven't seen him enough to make a call on that but you would imagine others have.

The club must be pretty certain Ben Arfa and Maraveux are fully fit if we won't be signing another striker before the season.

Where have we said we weren't signing another striker? I thought that was still a priority?

NEWCASTLE United have set aside some of the remaining £35m cash pot picked up from Andy Carroll’s sale to Liverpool to cover all eventualities surrounding unsettled Spaniard Jose Enrique.

The former La Liga star was back on Tyneside but, with 56 days to go until the transfer window’s closure, it is far from certain whether he will still be a Newcastle player on September 1.

The Chronicle understands part of United’s summer kitty has been put to one side to cover Enrique’s lucrative contract should he decide to stay at St James’ Park.

The huge offer is still waiting on the table for Enrique, who is yet to make a decision.

Should he go it will then be used to find a suitable replacement – along with the proceeds from his sale – with all incoming transfer cash set to be reinvested back into the club.

United – like most clubs – are not prepared to unveil any financial figures or a breakdown of where the money will be spent.

Yet it is understood spending from the Carroll cash pot so far has included:

:: The £4.8million signing of Yohan Cabaye

:: The salaries, signing-on fees and agent fees of Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid and Demba Ba.

:: Improvements at the training ground including new pitches, undersoil heating and the installation of a water bore.

:: A slice of the money has been put to one side for new contracts for players still at the club such as Jose Enrique.

:: The salary of Cheick Tiote, who signed a lucrative deal in February.

United boss Alan Pardew has also asked not to be fully judged on finances until the window has closed on August 31.

Some of the remaining £35m is set to cover transfer fees and salaries of Pardew’s other summer signings – with at least two other arrivals at Newcastle expected.

United also say they will make sure they have money to spend in the January transfer window if they are hit by injuries and need to bolster the squad.

Toon fans have been divided in their opinion over how the club’s summer has panned out, with some satisfied by the arrivals at the club so far, but others questioning where the money has gone.

This is largely due to the fact they feel Cabaye’s signing is offset by the sale of Kevin Nolan.

While salaries account for some of the club’s revenue, the wage bill was also reduced when Nolan, Sol Campbell and Shefki Kuqi left the club at the end of the season.

Yet in light of the game’s current financial climate, where agents take huge fees from the game, was it ever going to be realistic for ALL of the £35m to be reinvested?

Even then fans will wonder about other cash injections such as the £47.2m TV revenue and Premier League prize money, while sponsorship and season ticket sales also come into the equation.

United do not want to discuss figures via an in-depth interview with the Chronicle at this stage, but a senior source at the club did say: “The most simplistic way of saying it is that the money will not be taken out of the club. It will go on the squad.

“Mike has no plan to withdraw any money from the club.

“What Mike and Derek have done is be prudent about what we spend.

“We have great deals which allows us to sign good players and give them big wages.

“We are not being frivolous like previous regimes in terms of getting trophy signings which will fail to deliver – like Michael Owen.

“We are aiming for a top-10 finish next season, and Alan Pardew, Graham Carr and the rest of the staff will get the squad together they believe will get us there.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/07/07/focus-on-where-35m-carroll-cash-has-gone-72703-29010924/2/#ixzz1RQ8PbqZy

i'd like to know what percentage of players wages ie tiotes new deal,cabaye's and the others listed there, are being paid for out if the clubs current funds ?

been trying to work out the implications are of setting aside 100% of their pay and what it would mean in the future, ie if they are still here in say 2years time we wouldn't be having to find salaries for them.

i'd like to know what percentage of players wages ie tiotes new deal,cabaye's and the others listed there, are being paid for out if the clubs current funds ?

This is starting to get silly. These are things you will never find out.

What we need to find out is how many years of the new players' contracts are coming out of the Carroll money...

No. No we really don't.

If we have a better team next season. :thup:

If not. :thdn:

Simples!

What we need to find out is how many years of the new players' contracts are coming out of the Carroll money...

No. No we really don't.

Simples!

:clap:

Fuck me, finally.

No. No we really don't.

Simples!

f*** me, finally.

yes and no. if we were to marginally improve but have kept money back would you not ask why we didn't use it ?

fwiw i don't think they'll take money out but if they are setting aside 5yrs worth of wages now for the new signings i'm not sure if that is the best use of the money.

Guest Antec

No. No we really don't.

Simples!

f*** me, finally.

yes and no. if we were to marginally improve but have kept money back would you not ask why we didn't use it ?

fwiw i don't think they'll take money out but if they are setting aside 5yrs worth of wages now for the new signings i'm not sure if that is the best use of the money.

My feelings exactly.

No. No we really don't.

Simples!

f*** me, finally.

That's the caveat for me. I don't have any problem with the players we have brought in or the ones we have shipped out. I'm just disappointed we have been ultra cautious and not really gone for it when we have the funds to do so. Add Matuidi, N'Zogbia and a striker to this squad and you would feel we would take on most teams. Given the tv revenues and gate money we generate I don't think it was unreasonable to expect such an outlay, although I can't say I ever really believed we would do it.

So how many years of the new players' contracts are we going for? 1 year, 2 years, 5 years?

Of course it is relevant, BottledDog - surely you'd like to know how much of the £35m is being spent on new players, this summer?

i don't think they are setting aside the full contracts length of the wage mind (if cabaye is on 50kpw that comes to 13mill in total and i doubt merveaux would be far off either, then ba's wages for 3 years i think would see the lot just about gone already)...but i'd like to know much they are working on, out of curiosity that is, i'm not demanding it.

I think everyone's concern is what if we don't sell players for big money in the future and the players we've bought are injured or don't work out. Where are we paying their wages from?

I understand their want to reduce the outgoings as much as possible to improve the books, but if we can't build a sustainable wage structure without one of the biggest ever transfer's we're going to struggle.

Guest Antec

No. No we really don't.

Simples!

f*** me, finally.

That's the caveat for me. I don't have any problem with the players we have brought in or the ones we have shipped out. I'm just disappointed we have been ultra cautious and not really gone for it when we have the funds to do so. Add Matuidi, N'Zogbia and a striker to this squad and you would feel we would take on most teams. Given the tv revenues and gate money we generate I don't think it was unreasonable to expect such an outlay, although I can't say I ever really believed we would do it.

Unless we're holding money back for next years 'free' transfers