NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest sicko2ndbest

I dont think we need another defensive CM. Smith, Perch and even Colo (i know their not ideal) can play that position if need be. A creative midfielder if far more important.

In order of importance we need:

1) A first choice striker with pace

2) A creative CM

3) A left back

I dont think we need another defensive CM. Smith, Perch and even Colo (i know their not ideal) can play that position if need be. A creative midfielder if far more important.

In order of importance we need:

1) A first choice striker with pace

2) A creative CM

3) A left back

I agree with this. A water carrier type of player would be nice but a striker and attacking CM are much more important. Guthrie is capable of creating stuff but he sits too far back to be a real playmaker, Barton hasn't done it for us so far so I'm not willing to rely on him and wecan't rely on Gosling because of his injury.

Sicko is pretty close.

We do desperately need decent wing cover too.

We will be getting a LB, if hughton didn't rate kadar there in the championship and got cover in, we will be doing the same now.

I think we are still after a striker, surely one of best or xisco have to be moved on if we do, I think the options are still open on that one with ranger and best looking ok and xisco looking determined to stay. Let's hope not.

An attacking cm would be nice, might well get someone that can play both in the centre or out wide like cleverley. Or a pacey striker that could also play AM.

A good DM would be great but I think the other positions are more pressing and hughton is happy with either barton/guthrie deep or smith.

I think we are still after those three but time will tell.

I guess Colocinni is definitely physical enough for the Prem then?

No, not defintely. Guthrie on the other hand defintely isn't. He's a much better bet than Smith, but I don't want to see him starting regularly.

Guest Heneage

No, not defintely. Guthrie on the other hand defintely isn't.

I'd be interested to see how you would use Guthrie, and would you adapt his training at all?

No, not defintely. Guthrie on the other hand defintely isn't. He's a much better bet than Smith, but I don't want to see him starting regularly.

He's a better bet than Nolan aswell.

I'd be interested to see how you would use Guthrie, and would you adapt his training at all?

He needs to be put on a weight-training program designed for strength and hypertrophy. His natural fitness is also poor so he needs to be working a tad harder than the average footballer on his cardiovascular endurance. Interval training such as sprints would probably be most appropriate.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He needs to be put on a weight-training program designed for strength and hypertrophy. His natural fitness is also poor so he needs to be working a tad harder than the average footballer on his cardiovascular endurance. Interval training such as sprints would probably be most appropriate.

Colo has a number of physical deficiencies which will be highlighted next season as it is a step up in power and pace. I really feel Campbell and Taylor will be our first choice when both fit as i can see Colo being roasted on a number of occasions, not only by the usual suspects of Drogba, Adebayor and Van Persie, but more importantly by the likes of K.Davies, Fuller, Zamora, Saha, Bent etc.

He is not quick, strong or particularly good in the air, what he is, is a good footballer nothing more nothing less. In this league that counts for less than the aforementioned three qualities! See Samba, Faye, Hangeland as examples

Guest Heneage

Very interesting.

My next question which sadly can't be answered, is why does our club never do this. It's almost Sunday league in approach, the players keep themselves fit, with no apparent work on developing the physical weaknesses of certain players. Guthrie is a good technical player, with the occasional spark of creativity, but he is chronically held back by his lack of, pace, stamina or strength. Why the club isn't looking to work on that is beyond me. 

I read an interview with Colo a few months back in which he said he was using the gym after training to lift weights and had gained 5 kilos or so because of it. Perhaps the club have implemented personally-tailored training, or he could he have just decided himself that he needed to do it.

Either way, Guthrie (and a few others) should be involved in the same thing. A 'one size' approach suits nobody.

It's ashame that naturally talented centre backs can't flourish in the Premiership and instead are forced to bulk up.

That's what makes the PL great, though, a combination of ability and athleticism. But it's certainly gone too far in the last few years, thanks in no small part to a certain couple of managers.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I thought this thread was called Transfer rumours in the press? not my rumours as that's another thread.

Guest MrBrown

Very interesting.

My next question which sadly can't be answered, is why does our club never do this. It's almost Sunday league in approach, the players keep themselves fit, with no apparent work on developing the physical weaknesses of certain players. Guthrie is a good technical player, with the occasional spark of creativity, but he is chronically held back by his lack of, pace, stamina or strength. Why the club isn't looking to work on that is beyond me. 

How do you have any idea what the club does or doesn't do?

Very interesting.

How do you have any idea what the club does or doesn't do?

oooooooooooooh!

http://intheircloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rebecca-minkoff-supernova-stud-devote-handbag-ebony-black.jpg

I read an interview with Colo a few months back in which he said he was using the gym after training to lift weights and had gained 5 kilos or so because of it. Perhaps the club have implemented personally-tailored training, or he could he have just decided himself that he needed to do it.

Either way, Guthrie (and a few others) should be involved in the same thing. A 'one size' approach suits nobody.

Training people for something they are not naturally built for and neglecting their strengths is asking to be raped! Fucking going on about Guthries weaknesses for months man. All this we must bulk up, you work for  Holland & Barrett or something?

You sound very impssive going on about hypertrophy etc but its all bollocks like