NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Boyd is better than all of our strikers as things stand.

If you say so - in my mind he'd be fourth choice behind Carroll, Lovenkrands and Ameobi.

I guess we'll see, if it comes to pass

Agreed. Boyd is second rate and not fit enough to lace Shola's boots. I have watched Boyd regularly and whilst his scoring record is good in a piss poor league, 90% of his goals are scored against bottom half teams. Check his record of goals against Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd. Also, when it comes to playing in Europe, his record is virtually non existent. He doesnt even play for Scotland either.

Besy striker at NUFC if he signs???????????????  Dont make me laugh. Give me Shola and Bigger Lad every time.

Macca just likes to disagreee with me.

So, if Boyd is so good, why isnt he being pursued by the top teams in the PL (excluding the top 4)?

It is not a case of just disagreeing with you. IN MY OPINION, Boyd is unproven at top level, as his stats show when playing against reasonable quality opposition. I get to watch him play most weekends on TV over here over the past few years and he has consistently failed to deliver against better opposition.

Oh yes, he has the capabil;ity of scoring hat tricks against the likes of Hamil;ton Academicals, St. Mirren or Inverness Caley Thistle who are less highly rated than some of the english league one teams and you portray Beckford to be of little quality. So, judging by your assessment, Beckford would be no better than Boyd and you wouldnt have him at NUFC?

For the estimated 30K a week Boyd is demanding, I would want a whole lot better than him.

Boyd's not exactly Pele but to call him worse than Shola is frankly ludicrous.

I have been off work for a few days recently with the flu so I decided to have a look at my NUFC season DVDs going back to 2002.

Some of these included interviews with Shola and he even admits that his style would appear to be languid and disinterested at times but the quality of many of the goals he scored for the club whilst not being first choice forward the majority of the time were extroadinary. What is also noticeable is his ability on the floor, mostly facing play. I would say that even he would admit that he needs to work on his general back to goal ability but what struck me most is that the constant criticism of the lad is totally out of order. T

He is still at the club, displaying his loyalty whilst rebels like Martins and Owen have been and gone. Shola is no world beater, but he will be a decent alternative up front next season and already has a proven record of scoring goals at the top level which is something Boyd has not done.

It might also be interesting to note that Shola also has a proven record of scoring goals in europe, something Boyd has failed to do consistently as well.

It is also interesting to note that Shola has consistently scored goals in the PL against quality opposition such as Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Villa, Everton and Spurs.

I am probably one of the few on here who rates the lad and even looking at his injury problems last season, his goals record per game was better than any other striker in the CCC.

If we were to sign Boyd, then IMO, it would be as an alternative to Best and not Carroll, Shola or Lovenkrands.

I have been off work for a few days recently with the flu so I decided to have a look at my NUFC season DVDs going back to 2002.

Some of these included interviews with Shola and he even admits that his style would appear to be languid and disinterested at times but the quality of many of the goals he scored for the club whilst not being first choice forward the majority of the time were extroadinary. What is also noticeable is his ability on the floor, mostly facing play. I would say that even he would admit that he needs to work on his general back to goal ability but what struck me most is that the constant criticism of the lad is totally out of order. T

He is still at the club, displaying his loyalty whilst rebels like Martins and Owen have been and gone. Shola is no world beater, but he will be a decent alternative up front next season and already has a proven record of scoring goals at the top level which is something Boyd has not done.

It might also be interesting to note that Shola also has a proven record of scoring goals in europe, something Boyd has failed to do consistently as well.

It is also interesting to note that Shola has consistently scored goals in the PL against quality opposition such as Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Villa, Everton and Spurs.

I am probably one of the few on here who rates the lad and even looking at his injury problems last season, his goals record per game was better than any other striker in the CCC.

If we were to sign Boyd, then IMO, it would be as an alternative to Best and not Carroll, Shola or Lovenkrands.

One final point about Shola.

I have just checked wiki and his career record shows 63 goals in 279 appearances which is something like just over 1 in 4. I would estimate that out those appearances , close to 100 would have been only substittute appearances, possibly most of them lasting no more than 20 minutes at a time so this would make his stats look a bit more impressive.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Boyd is better than all of our strikers as things stand.

Almost summed up Boyd's style of play too!

Can't deny that he's a natural finisher, and could possibly work well off of Carroll. However, he is shy of work rate, not that any of this matters since he's apparently off to Birmingham.

not so much boyd V shola but just about shola. it doesn't really matter who you score against (i watched andreas anderssoon score against both man utd and liverpool) as you can score goals whilst playing crap. equally you can play fantastically and not score. the only way to tell is by watching the player over time and i have to say i wouldn't mind if shola moved on.

also though it's bloody annoying when people get straight on his back when he plays, as if that will help !

Madras

In order for him to move on, we need to replace him and to replace him, we need to spend significant money. He has the premiership experience already and like him or loath him, his record of goals in the PL is there to be seen, unlike someone like Boyd or Beckford who are both heading towards their l;ate 20s having played at lower level leagues.

I would certainly keep him because he has the ability.

Boyd may be unproven in the prem, but at least there's hope for him. We all know Shola won't cut it.

At his age, not a chance. He is lazy, lacks pace and has little concept of movement.

You might want to cast your mind back to a couple of other so called highly rated strikers from the dutch league, a league infinitely more competitive than the SPL. These guys were also heavy scorers in their leagues and highly rated, reasonably skillful and excellent finishers but they failed dismally when they `came to the PL. One was Kezman at Chelsea and the other was that Alphonso bloke at Middlesbrough. Boyd reminds me somewhat of both of them and I just do not see him cutting the mustard in the PL.

The general feeling from Rangers fan who are ITK is that we are Boyd's first choice club to join this summer.

When he was "one to watch" in 442 years ago & still at Killie he said he wanted to play for Newcastle.The reality is we could not play AC & Boyd together. AC is our main striker & Boyd will want to be a starter. I think he will go to Brum in the end & Big Eck will play Jerome & Boyd up front.

Madras

In order for him to move on, we need to replace him and to replace him, we need to spend significant money. He has the premiership experience already and like him or loath him, his record of goals in the PL is there to be seen, unlike someone like Boyd or Beckford who are both heading towards their l;ate 20s having played at lower level leagues.

his last 3 seasons in the prem and last season tell me he hasn't the ability.

Guest toonlass

Madras

his last 3 seasons in the prem and last season tell me he hasn't the ability.

We are talking about Shola, aye? In which case I agree with Madras. Shola is not PL quality.

Boyd may be unproven in the prem, but at least there's hope for him. We all know Shola won't cut it.

At his age, not a chance. He is lazy, lacks pace and has little concept of movement.

You might want to cast your mind back to a couple of other so called highly rated strikers from the dutch league, a league infinitely more competitive than the SPL. These guys were also heavy scorers in their leagues and highly rated, reasonably skillful and excellent finishers but they failed dismally when they `came to the PL. One was Kezman at Chelsea and the other was that Alphonso bloke at Middlesbrough. Boyd reminds me somewhat of both of them and I just do not see him cutting the mustard in the PL.

But Bergkamp, Van Persie, RVN, JFH & Van Hooijdonk were all decent players.