NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

By his own admission, his career was slow to take off due to a lack of self-discipline. He's a decent target man, and a lot better than Leon Best.

You're right. His stunning goal ration for WH, 30 goals on 130 matches, proves that he's pure quality  :2funny:

Guest bimpy474

It took Carlton Cole nearly ten years to score twice in a Premier League game, it took Leon Best all of an hour, with Cole stood up the other end looking very much like the utter donkey he is.

Best actually played in premiership in 2004/05 season, it took him 6 years to get his 2 goals, if your judging it the same way as your judging Cole, he even made premiership debut against us, tbh i think their both not top draw, its just Best is better than Cole for me on current form.

“Look at my time at West Ham and the players I bought in – I like to think I did well on that side at Crystal Palace and Reading too.”

:lol: Can't imagine Palace were too happy at him buying players for them when he wasn't even manager.

It took Carlton Cole nearly ten years to score twice in a Premier League game, it took Leon Best all of an hour, with Cole stood up the other end looking very much like the utter donkey he is.

Best actually played in premiership in 2004/05 season, it took him 6 years to get his 2 goals, if your judging it the same way as your judging Cole, he even made premiership debut against us, tbh i think their both not top draw, its just Best is better than Cole for me on current form.

Fair enough, hadn't realised that, he was very young though and he didn't really take six years because you can probably still count his Premier League appearances on two hands.

Not saying Best is any good mind, but I think Carlton Cole is dross, and yet would still cost something knocking on £8-10m.

Guest bimpy474

Fair enough, hadn't realised that, he was very young though and he didn't really take six years because you can probably still count his Premier League appearances on two hands.

Not saying Best is any good mind, but I think Carlton Cole is dross, and yet would still cost something knocking on £8-10m.

Dross suited to him perfectly  :snod: well said  :clap2:

Pardew's words in the Geordie Beano don't exactly fill me full of confidence that the Carroll cash is going to be spent wisely, if it all. Reckon it's going to be a summer of bargain basement signings. That's gonna get the punters in to get their s/t's now isn't it?

Pardew's words in the Geordie Beano don't exactly fill me full of confidence that the Carroll cash is going to be spent wisely, if it all. Reckon it's going to be a summer of bargain basement signings.

That's precisely spending the money wisely. Tiote and HBA both represent that category:  well negotiated buys that was done after proper research. Spending big is often an unwise strategy, which we all know: Smith, Viduka, Butt, Duff, Martins, Owen (c***), Boumsong etc. Bargain basement doesn't necessarily mean that the player is crap. He may come cheap because he's troubled (HBA), that his style of play make him ideal for PL and not the Dutch league (Tiote), because he doesn't fit the system the team is playing or he refuses to sign a new contract.....All those factors and more, can be discovered if the club does proper research. Which we know do through the likes of Carr.

Ben Arfa cost about £7 million in total he is not a bargain ffs!!!

He cost us around £6 and that's a bargain when you compare with potential value and talent. There's plenty of movies of him on the tube, and if you bother to watch them, you can see that some of the things he does, is reserved for the very gifted. All he needs is some honing of his skills (when to pass and when to dribble) and he's a world class player.

Whether he's a bargain will be decided over the next few years.  If he leaves for £25m then he will have been a bargain.  It's all relative.

If he realizes his potential, he will be one of the most expensive players ever sold..

Whether he's a bargain will be decided over the next few years.  If he leaves for £25m then he will have been a bargain.  It's all relative.

If he realizes his potential, he will be one of the most expensive players ever sold..

Good news for us then. :rolleyes:

Good news for us then. :rolleyes:

If he's sold then :blush:  I imagine him as the new Shearer with the captains armband, refusing to be sold despite interest from Barca and Real  :smitten: 

Pardew's words in the Geordie Beano don't exactly fill me full of confidence that the Carroll cash is going to be spent wisely, if it all. Reckon it's going to be a summer of bargain basement signings.

That's precisely spending the money wisely. Tiote and HBA both represent that category:  well negotiated buys that was done after proper research. Spending big is often an unwise strategy, which we all know: Smith, Viduka, Butt, Duff, Martins, Owen (c***), Boumsong etc. Bargain basement doesn't necessarily mean that the player is crap. He may come cheap because he's troubled (HBA), that his style of play make him ideal for PL and not the Dutch league (Tiote), because he doesn't fit the system the team is playing or he refuses to sign a new contract.....All those factors and more, can be discovered if the club does proper research. Which we know do through the likes of Carr.

That's all very well, but whist unearthing a Tiote is commendable, you are more than likely to end up with average players (at best) like James Perch. Scouring in the bargain basement is what this club did in the mid 70's and mid 80's - can you tell me what happened each time?

Ben Arfa cost about £7 million in total he is not a bargain ffs!!!

I think it is personally.

Nick Shorey for £25K is a bargain. HBA for loan fee + transfer fee is no a bargain it may turn out a good deal but for me it will never be a bargain.