NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8728910.stm

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton is keen to fend off interest from rival clubs for striker Andy Carroll.

Premier League champions Chelsea have been linked with the 21-year-old, whose 17 league goals last season were key to Newcastle's top-flight return.

Hughton insists he has had no contact from the west London club

£7m was the rumorued amount Chelsea are looking to bid

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/06/1961642/chelsea-to-bid-7m-for-andy-carroll-of-newcastle-united

I'd take 12 million, 20% sell on profit and they can loan him back to us for this year

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton is keen to fend off interest from rival clubs for striker Andy Carroll.

Premier League champions Chelsea have been linked with the 21-year-old, whose 17 league goals last season were key to Newcastle's top-flight return.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/06/1961642/chelsea-to-bid-7m-for-andy-carroll-of-newcastle-united

I'd take 12 million, 20% sell on profit and they can loan him back to us for this year

Wouldn't even take 20 million tbh. We won't buy a new striker from that money because we couldn't (wouldn't want to) afford the wages. We really should keep Carroll and see how he develops.

Wouldn't even take 20 million tbh. We won't buy a new striker from that money because we couldn't (wouldn't want to) afford the wages. We really should keep Carroll and see how he develops.

disagree, because he won't develop with us, no-one ever does

we'd be best taking whatever money we can get for him now before he takes the inevitable personal slide, assuming the end game is to sell him that is - if the end game is to keep him and improve the team on the pitch then that's different

if we want money we should sell him now while the irons hot

Guest palnese

we'd be best taking whatever money we can get for him now before he takes the inevitable personal slide, assuming the end game is to sell him that is - if the end game is to keep him and improve the team on the pitch then that's different

There is a few like Given, Bassong, Enrique and Taylor. I still believe Taylor is a decent CB by PL standards, although he is better at RB.

There is a few like Given, Bassong, Enrique and Taylor. I still believe Taylor is a decent CB by PL standards, although he is better at RB.

Not to forget Carroll himself who has become a better player over the last two years. Ranger is another example.

well given yes, but he was very much the exception imo

bassong: had one season with us - does anyone know how he played for Metz before coming to us to judge that we improved him?

enrique: despite being a spanish u21 int wasn't up to much (although not shit) in the PL and while that's perhaps harsh he only really found his feet last season in the championship

taylor: has never fulfilled the promise he has when he first broke into the team, not even close

carroll: has had a decent season in the championship

hardly overwhelming evidence for our player development - what i'm saying here is not that the players don't have quality, i'm saying that the ones who do are generally sabotaged by the perpetual turmoil and upheaval at the club that shows few signs of getting better

thus if we want to cash in on carroll then i'd suggest we do it now, next season i don't predict such an impact

Guest palnese

I wouldn't sell Carroll now as it is impossible to predict any potential replacement at this stage.

N'Zogbia developed quite a lot at our place, as did Bellamy, Nobby and others.

It's all about the manager and the staff around him, and most of all, the footballer's will and determination to improve.

It's hardly easy for any player to develop when you get a new manager  every year. I think if Hughton can keep us up, and we get the so-called stability we've been so desperate to achieve for a decade or so, players will improve, wheter they are 18 or 28.

I see that as the main reason for our lack of producing first-teamers at the club, because we have always had 15-16-17- years old with bags of potential.

Carroll would actually be a useful addition to the squad of one of the bigger clubs like Chelsea. He wouldn't be a starter, but his power in the air would be a useful option if they were chasing a game and the usual strategy was failing.

Guest BooBoo

Selling Carroll would be an absolute disaster for the simple reason that a replacement would not be signed.

Carroll would actually be a useful addition to the squad of one of the bigger clubs like Chelsea. He wouldn't be a starter, but his power in the air would be a useful option if they were chasing a game and the usual strategy was failing.

Plus he's English which will be important for their CL squad.  Surprised Chelsea haven't made more of an effort to keep Joe Cole tbh.

Plus he's English which will be important for their CL squad.  Surprised Chelsea haven't made more of an effort to keep Joe Cole tbh.

Asking for £110,000 a week apparently.

Guest palnese

I like Joe Cole but fair play to Chelsea for refusing those stupid demands.

With Cole, Belletti and Ballack gone they'll annually save £14m just in wages.

Guest Roger Kint

I like Joe Cole but fair play to Chelsea for refusing those stupid demands.

With Cole, Belletti and Ballack gone they'll annually save £14m just in wages.

And some people call them realistic on here lol

bassong: had one season with us - does anyone know how he played for Metz before coming to us to judge that we improved him?

enrique: despite being a spanish u21 int wasn't up to much (although not shit) in the PL and while that's perhaps harsh he only really found his feet last season in the championship

taylor: has never fulfilled the promise he has when he first broke into the team, not even close

hardly overwhelming evidence for our player development - what i'm saying here is not that the players don't have quality, i'm saying that the ones who do are generally sabotaged by the perpetual turmoil and upheaval at the club that shows few signs of getting better

thus if we want to cash in on carroll then i'd suggest we do it now, next season i don't predict such an impact

Or Alan Kennedy, Irving Nattrass, Paul Gascoigne, Neil McDonald, Lee Clark, Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Aaron Hughes etc

Or Alan Kennedy, Irving Nattrass, Paul Gascoigne, Neil McDonald, Lee Clark, Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Aaron Hughes etc

well a few of them are before my time, but from Clark onwards we have a different understanding of the word develop i'd suggest

And the alternative is to let a £15m+ player walk out the door and spend a similar amount to replace him.  £110,000 pw is a ridiculous amount of money but still a cheaper alternative to Cole going on a Bosman.