NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Unless you've got genuine quality that you need to cover for, for example Enrique or Tiote who it is neither necessary nor feasible to replace, it's not a good idea to buy 'back up'. Ideally your first team should become back up over time as better players come in.

Buying bench players inevitably leaves you with a large squad with no real depth because they're generally shite and aging - Campbell, Ryan Taylor, Kuqi, Perch.

If you are going to buy back up, it must be in the form of young players with the potential to step up later and become first teamers.

Unless you've got genuine quality that you need to cover for, for example Enrique or Tiote who it is neither necessary nor feasible to replace, it's not a good idea to buy 'back up'. Ideally your first team should become back up over time as better players come in.

Buying bench players inevitably leaves you with a large squad with no real depth because they're generally shite and aging - Campbell, Ryan Taylor, Kuqi, Perch.

If you are going to buy back up, it must be in the form of young players with the potential to step up later and become first teamers.

:thup:

Guest Heneage

I wouldn't buy a back up player outside of goalkeeper. You should want good players who are willing to challenge others for their position.

I wouldn't buy a back up player outside of goalkeeper. You should want good players who are willing to challenge others for their position.

or, my preffered model is a backup player who is youth and has potential

Very true, but if we're going to sign two quality strikers, it'd cost upwards of £20m in today's market. That position is obviously priority, but we need to reserve funds to strengthen other areas of the first team. So i wouldn't be against getting a striker in on a free. I don't know a great deal about Bothroyd but he's had a decent season; it doesn't sound like the worst deal in the world.

Buying bench players inevitably leaves you with a large squad with no real depth because they're generally s**** and aging - Campbell, Ryan Taylor, Kuqi, Perch.

Spot on.

In an ideal world aye.

We've got young backup right now for the strikers in the form of Ranger who can't score for shit, when he's brought on looks decent but no threat, when he starts we all think we need a new striker and he needs loaning out.

Nothing wrong with having Best & Bothroyd as backup to our two new strikers, he may even surprise a few like Best has this season and if we had him this season we'd have been much better off for it.

Guest taps01

CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

Lots of tweets on the subject, but - as things stand - told there's no interest from #Nufc in Jay Bothroyd.

He is an option then, just someway down the list! 

That's great in theory but at the moment our first team strikers like Lovenkrands and Ameobi I'd not even want to use as back up.

I'd much rather see Bothroyd coming off the bench next season than Lovenkrands or Shola.

scored only 3 goals in 20 games in the latter part of the season, but was in amazing goalscoring form earlier. if you look at his overall career that first half of the season is the only real purple patch he's ever had in his career.

Can do a lot worse than Bothroyd on a 1 or 2 year deal for free. We're going to get rid of Kuqi, Ranger will go out on loan and we will probably sell Lovenkrands as well. I wouldnt give him more than 20k a week though, so if he wants more then he can go else ware. Pardew will no doubt be trying hard over the summer to get a couple of good quality forwards anyway, so it doesnt hurt to get someone for free who can come in a few times during the season if we're stuck.