NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I don't think our forwards are that bad if we keep Best.

Ba, Best, Ben Arfa..

We obviously need one more who is a significant upgrade on Shola and Loven and from what has been said numerous times that is our priority

No panic :)

Guest Antec

I have a feeling this could be yet another very frustrating summer for us. I don't think frustration is starting to find its way to us because we're not signing players every second day, but moreso because our squad- especially up front, as well all know- is so threadbare and desperately needs investment if we are to progress and not have a dismal season.

In saying that, signings such as Cabaye we're done under wraps and we're hardly picked up on until late on, so you never know.

But still, I am getting concerned such is our desperation to add to our squad and until we do that it won't get any better.

As it stands an injury to Ba and we're on to the Stroller/Loven/Best/Ranger back-up plan

He'll be off to the ACN in January anyway

Still desperate for a decent striker, fingers crossed

I don't think our forwards are that bad if we keep Best.

Ba, Best, Ben Arfa..

We obviously need one more who is a significant upgrade on Shola and Loven and from what has been said numerous times that is our priority

No panic :)

Exactly.

Thinking about it, it's very obvious that Ashley is incredibly reluctant to pay a penny over the odds for players. But he must know that in modern times sometimes the only way to get good players in is to pay over the odds- you've got to pay to get the best. However, this isn't easy to tell someone who's desperate to sell the club and is trying to run it on a shoestring until such an opportunity arises.

I don't think he is desperate to sell the club, personally think that he is here for the long-haul.

I have a feeling this could be yet another very frustrating summer for us. I don't think frustration is starting to find its way to us because we're not signing players every second day, but moreso because our squad- especially up front, as well all know- is so threadbare and desperately needs investment if we are to progress and not have a dismal season.

In saying that, signings such as Cabaye we're done under wraps and we're hardly picked up on until late on, so you never know.

But still, I am getting concerned such is our desperation to add to our squad and until we do that it won't get any better.

There's no reason to be frustrated though, that's the thing I don't understand. We've made some good moves and are obviously working on others.

There's no way our squad could be described as threadbare at the moment IMO. We obviously lack quality up front, but not numbers.

I don't know what kind of summer people were expecting, if what has happened so far seems negative to them. It just baffles me.

Perhaps 'threadbare' was a bit of an exaggeration, but we should be making the most of this £35m in the coffers of NUFC. Forget the bullshit we're being told about it going towards wages, agent fees and new facilities- we have enough income from obscene TV income, season tickets, sponsors and merchandise etc. This is our first chance in a long time to really excel in adding to our squad. We can't have any excuses.

Of course everyone's opinion is different, fair enough, but I just don't see a team with only two proven full backs and and three 'proven' strikers as good enough to match these supposed ambitions the club are coming out with ie top 8 finish.

I don't understand what people see in Long, 7 million pounds is laughable. If we're going to spend that much money surely we can get someone better.

Can you though? Who? And what don't you see in Long?

Not saying he's world class, but he has the attributes and the potential to do very well for us. Whether £7m is fair or not is a bit hard to say.

I haven't seen a huge number of games in the championship but when I watched Reading last season he's never stood out. If you look at the caliber of players we've got in for less, 7 million seems like a huge amount. I'd rather have DJ Campbell here for example. He's proved himself to be a decent option at this level and would complement Ba well as a poacher.

EDIT: Also I think Campbell is out of contract?

Thinking about it, it's very obvious that Ashley is incredibly reluctant to pay a penny over the odds for players. But he must know that in modern times sometimes the only way to get good players in is to pay over the odds- you've got to pay to get the best. However, this isn't easy to tell someone who's desperate to sell the club and is trying to run it on a shoestring until such an opportunity arises.

I don't think he is desperate to sell the club, personally think that he is here for the long-haul.

Same, it's extremely unlikely that he'll get a buyer at a price he'd be happy with. I think he's just trying to make the club self-sustaining so he doesn't have to subsidise it, I don't think it's much to do with selling.

I don't understand what people see in Long, 7 million pounds is laughable. If we're going to spend that much money surely we can get someone better.

Not saying he's world class, but he has the attributes and the potential to do very well for us. Whether £7m is fair or not is a bit hard to say.

I haven't seen a huge number of games in the championship but when I watched Reading last season he's never stood out. If you look at the caliber of players we've got in for less, 7 million seems like a huge amount. I'd rather have DJ Campbell here for example. He's proved himself to be a decent option at this level and would complement Ba well as a poacher.

Not a bad shout  :thup:

IMO Long is far superior to DJ Campbell, although more expensive. I can imagine the reaction on here if the next striker we sign is Campbell, it would be meltdown.

It's going to be difficult for the club to win here isn't it? If they sign someone decent for a low fee they'll be slammed for penny pinching, if they pay any money for someone who's not world class they'll be criticised for that as well. Narrows down the list of acceptable targets quite a lot.

Long would be a very disappointing signing.

We all saw first hand just how shite the standard in the Championship is last year, even Ranger managed a couple down there.

And Long has only looked good there for one year there on top of that.

Keep the money and put it towards getting N'Zogbia or another player who would really improve us would be my advice, add Long to our squad as it stands right now and he wouldn't even be in the starting 11 IMO.

IMO Long is far superior to DJ Campbell, although more expensive. I can imagine the reaction on here if the next striker we sign is Campbell, it would be meltdown.

It's going to be difficult for the club to win here isn't it? If they sign someone decent for a low fee they'll be slammed for penny pinching, if they pay any money for someone who's not world class they'll be criticised for that as well. Narrows down the list of acceptable targets quite a lot.

I'm ignoring net spend and focusing on the players brought in. We need a striker, a fast one at that. Shane long doesn't have that sort of pace from what I've seen. If we are unwilling to spend in the region of 10-15 million to get a bit of a marquee singing in this position, then I would be happier singing Campbell from what I've seen of the two players.

Long would be a very disappointing signing.

We all saw first hand just how shite the standard in the Championship is last year, even Ranger managed a couple down there.

And Long has only looked good there for one year there on top of that.

Keep the money and put it towards getting N'Zogbia or another player who would really improve us would be my advice, add Long to our squad as it stands right now and he wouldn't even be in the starting 11 IMO.

going to disagree, where I've seen Long is playing for Ireland and the one game that really convinced me was against Uruguay where he played the lone striker really well working channels winning the ball for himself and all in all played the role brilliantly

Not sure why I'm so sure that Long would be a good signing, it just seems obvious that he has all the abilities to complement the players we already have.

If we're playing one up front we'll probabaly be starting Ba anyway, and if we play two then a nippy player like Long is a good match for our existing forwards.

I'm ignoring net spend and focusing on the players brought in. We need a striker, a fast one at that. Shane long doesn't have that sort of pace from what I've seen. If we are unwilling to spend in the region of 10-15 million to get a bit of a marquee singing in this position, then I would be happier singing Campbell from what I've seen of the two players.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree. FWIW one of Long's biggest strengths is his pace... that's exactly why I think he would be good.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree. FWIW one of Long's biggest strengths is his pace... that's exactly why I think he would be good.

I've just realised that Campbell is 28 :undecided:. I don't know, just think we should either go for it and get a someone of higher quality for more or get someone more proven at this level.

Guest Antec

If we're playing with one up front and I'm certain we will be then any new striker will initially have to start from the bench or be a striker cum attacking midfielder assuming Ba is the main man. Would Erding/Long fit this system? That's why the likes of Sturridge are un-realistic

If we're playing with one up front and I'm certain we will be then any new striker will initially have to start from the bench or be a striker cum attacking midfielder assuming Ba is the main man. Would Erding/Long fit this system?

not sure on Erding but I believe Long could

Think the good think about Long is that he could play up front on his own, off another striker or even potentially in a wide position. Anyway, I've sucked him off enough in this thread, suffice to say I think he would be a good signing!

Guest Antec

If we're playing with one up front and I'm certain we will be then any new striker will initially have to start from the bench or be a striker cum attacking midfielder assuming Ba is the main man. Would Erding/Long fit this system?

not sure on Erding but I believe Long could

Ba

Marveaux   Ben Arfa  A N Other

Tiote      Cabaye

I can't see any other way to play Tiote AND Cabaye, anyone suggest anything?

Get a fucking grip man :lol:

The noises coming out of the club are of massive concern imo and you can only hope it's a load of rubbish to ensure that we don't pay over the odds for players.  The idea that the vast majority of of our transfer business is already done isn't just hard to swallow but totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

The noises coming out of the club are of massive concern imo and you can only hope it's a load of rubbish to ensure that we don't pay over the odds for players.  The idea that the vast majority of of our transfer business is already done isn't just hard to swallow but totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Call me barmy, but if Enrique & Barton aren't fucked off we only really need a striker.

Guest Antec

Call me barmy, but if Enrique & Barton aren't fucked off we only really need a striker.

Ideally I'd like a more mobile player/better goalscorer than Barton/Jonas