NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest ItalianMagpie

Didn't expect this thread to be really active this summer :lol:

I don't know how much we paid for Perch, but I assume it means that it was not true Ashley wouldn't spend a penny of his own to improve the team, was it? Do we know anything more about this?

Sorry if this is already been widely discussed but I missed it and can't read millions of pages to find out  :colo:

Can't imagine anyone choosing us over Sunderland right now for any reason other than maybe being a Geordie.

In fact, we're probably 18th or 19th in terms of attractiveness in the league

:dowie:

Stoke, Wolves, West Brom, West Ham, Bolton, Blackpool & Blackburn are all better propositions than us are they?  That was just skimming.

Howay man, we're not that f***ing bad a prospect for a professional footballer.

We're not an attractive choice for any player who wants a long-term club, as our owner has basically just stated that our goal is to achieve f*** all for the next five years minimum.

We're not an attractive choice for any player looking for a shop-window club because of the inherent instability associated with the name "Newcastle" and the possibility that you could get sucked down with the club's bad luck.

I'd much rather play for Fulham, Blackburn, or even Sunderland if I wasn't good enough to play for a top-half team but wanted to go to some place that could luck out and find itself in Europe in the foreseeable future.

I'd much rather play for Wigan, Stoke, or Bolton if I wasn't good enough to play for a top-half team yet but wanted to go to some place where I could at least be assured playing time in a club that will probably drag itself through at least a couple more seasons in the Premiership without drama and the possibility for implosion.

We're probably a tossup as a proposition with the likes of West Brom and Wolves. The only club I could see us clearly ahead of is Blackpool.

I love Newcastle United, but unfortunately, you have to admit that the size of the stadium and the quality of the fans mean very little to most professional footballers.

Oldtype, that's massively pessimistic!

If "our goal is basically to achieve f*** all" means to just stay in the Premiership, then surely that applies to everyone outside of the top 8 or 10 teams?

That's true, but the owners of those teams haven't actually come out and declared it.

I liked Gosling when he featured for Everton, but doubt it will have much impact in your campaign with his injury. Wasn't he out until January at the least?

For this reason I'm surprised he weasled his way out of Everton like he did. He could have easily signed a fairly lucrative contract while injured then engineered himself a move in Jan or next summer.

One thing that's particularly disappointing for me:

As a relatively unattractive Premiership team, surely the best way out of our predicament is to expand our scouting network and sign players from lesser-known leagues across Europe and even the world who would jump at the chance to play for ANY Premiership club. (AKA "the Wigan model")

We've seen absolutely none of that under Ashley. When is the last time we made a single signing from outside the six major European leagues? Despite all the song and dance about expanding our scouting network, we remain terribly myopic as far as finding hidden talent goes.

I know this is easier said than done, but you have to be disappointed that we're not even trying. (At least at the senior level)

Am I the only one who hasn't got a clue about Gosling's actual ability as a footballer?

Nope. I have no idea what type of player he is other than from comments on here.

Gosling would be a good signing although we can do without him.. Still, I think we're getting him. The way he forced his way out of Everton is similar to how we acquired Jonas.. we've tapped him up.

Gosling would be a good signing although we can do without him.. Still, I think we're getting him. The way he forced his way out of Everton is similar to how we acquired Jonas.. we've tapped him up.

It looks to me more like taking advantage of a situation than an actual tapping up.

Am I the only one who hasn't got a clue about Gosling's actual ability as a footballer?

Nope. I have no idea what type of player he is other than from comments on here.

From what I've seen he's nothing special, I reckon Barton and Guthrie are better

Guest BooBoo

I've asked the opinions of Scousers about Gosling and tbh he sounds very very similar to Guthrie.