NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest magpie99

Heard from a good source (London Barrister who is friends with DL) that we are getting both De Jong and Maiga as well as two defenders. Noone of senior quality is leaving either.

Heard from a good source (London Barrister who is friends with DL) that we are getting both De Jong and Maiga as well as two defenders. Noone of senior quality is leaving either.

liam ridgewell has been mooted recently.

(get in, i've used the term mooted which only ever gets an airing in football transfer situations, like "ace", "starlet")

Over a certain period, maybe. Not in January.

Guest pont-toon

as a top legal eagle i would expect that he would have "suggested" rather than confirmed that nufc "may" be signing De Jong & Maiga as well as 2 defenders "subject to contract" etc etc etc

If I could guarantee how thirsty I would be at the end of January there would be a bet about myself drinking my own urine if this came off.

Guest magpie99

as a top legal eagle i would expect that he would have "suggested" rather than confirmed that nufc "may" be signing De Jong & Maiga as well as 2 defenders "subject to contract" etc etc etc

Yeah, you might be right there. TBH, I was sceptical when told but I am sure that Ridgewell is not one of the defenders we are looking to bring in as I think he is older than the policy set down by management. It also might be probable that defenders will come in after todays news about Danny Simpson, who is like ly to be sold in the summer.

Guest magpie99

If I could guarantee how thirsty I would be at the end of January there would be a bet about myself drinking my own urine if this came off.

I would probably have agreed with you on this if it were not for several facts. There is a clear precedent set by management regarding spending in january. During the championship year, Ashley funded the signings of Simpson, Best, Williamson and Routledge as well as a couple of loanees to boost the squad in a push for promotion. Lllambiarse has already stated that this seasons transfer budget wasnt allocated for just the summer push but also for the january window.

If, by Christmas, we are still in a position (top6) to push for a european place, then it could well be management is now prepared to shell out to maintain that push.

I am also referring to statements from Pardew recently stating that our younger players like Ferguson, Vuckic and Abeid will probably be loaned out soon to gain experience. Even Smith is being mooted to go out on loan. This will leave us incredibly short on numbers and could see us fall down the table if more injuries set in. We should take notice of other comments from Pardew recently regarding last season where in the final few games, we had to blood several of our kids as well as fill the bench with them. We dont want to be in that position again as it could be detrimental to our final position.

With Ranger and Lovenkrands appearing to be surplus to requirements and our already under strength defence, I can see why they may spend in january on a couple of strikers and a couple of defenders especially when you also factor in the loss of two of our better players (Tiote & Ba) to the ANC for anything up to a month.

I hope I am not clutching at straws here but it makes good business sense to spend in january to allay any fears of falling out of the top 7 for the remainder of the season.

Guest magpie99

The thing with player loans is that we can easily recall them if need be.

Of course though, we'll have to actually specify the recall option in the loan contract.

If we are loaning out of youngsters to gain experience, it would be counter productive to recall them to sit on the bench due to injuries plus I have a feeling that having spent a net half a million pounds in the summer and not getting the striker we craved, Derek and his "dominoes" have a few irons in the fire here. It should also be evident thatg an injury to Saylor or Colo could have serious consequences for us. That is why I think someone like Peeters rather than a Ridgewell is targeted in january as well as forwards.

Furthermore, with the club refusing to meet Danny Simpson's contract demands, I can see us selling him in January to someone like QPR or Villa or someone of that ilk and replacing him with a better option.

Not slating you as a messenger boy, Magpie99, but i really don't see us making four major signings in January. We struggled to get five in three months, and that's before you consider fee inflation that January exacerbates.

Guest magpie99

Not slating you as a messenger boy, Magpie99, but i really don't see us making four major signings in January. We struggled to get five in three months, and that's before you consider fee inflation that January exacerbates.

Yes, I know, Yorkie. I find it hard to believe myself but we already know a striker is coming in and if you take into account all other things said recently, it might be an interesting ahead.

I also recall reading an article from Pardew about a month ago stating Mike Ashley had got his enthusiasm back for the club and that he was working hard to convince him to strengthen the squad. I dont think anyone, including MA, could have expected us to be where we are now in November and it would be a shame to see all the hard work put in so far tail off due to lack of numbers and experience.

I am probably clutching at straws here but I forever live in hope.

Of course though, we'll have to actually specify the recall option in the loan contract.

If we are loaning out of youngsters to gain experience, it would be counter productive to recall them to sit on the bench due to injuries plus I have a feeling that having spent a net half a million pounds in the summer and not getting the striker we craved, Derek and his "dominoes" have a few irons in the fire here. It should also be evident thatg an injury to Saylor or Colo could have serious consequences for us. That is why I think someone like Peeters rather than a Ridgewell is targeted in january as well as forwards.

Furthermore, with the club refusing to meet Danny Simpson's contract demands, I can see us selling him in January to someone like QPR or Villa or someone of that ilk and replacing him with a better option.

Indeed it could be counter-productive to recall the youngsters but if the injury list happens to grow, we won't have much choice but to recall them. Plus they'll certainly have more a chance of playing in the first team if injuries/suspensions do indeed hit us hard.

Regarding the Simpson situation, I wouldn't believe what the Sun has written a couple of hours ago. Of course, Simpson's contract issue isn't really news but things could very well change in the next few months.

Guest magpie99

Indeed it could be counter-productive to recall the youngsters but if the injury list happens to grow, we won't have much choice but to recall them. Plus they'll certainly have more a chance of playing in the first team if injuries/suspensions do indeed hit us hard.

Regarding the Simpson situation, I wouldn't believe what the Sun has written a couple of hours ago. Of course, Simpson's contract issue isn't really news but things could very well change in the next few months.

Agreed, it is all ifs and buts, isnt it?

However, if we maintained our league position and got over our recednt injury problems, gave the kids a chance for experience and picked up just a couple of players in january, then the summer market will be very interesting too.

If MAs aim is to finish top 10 this season, which now seems certainly achievable and if we can actually do better (top6) and gain europe, I wonder what his aim would be for the following season and what level of investment he would go to further improve. 

Yep, it is all ifs and buts.

What I envisage in January is that we'll probably sign 2/3 players. So, I reckon Maiga is pretty much a done deal; I think we'll get Ridgewell in the end (he has been mentioned recently in the press) - will be a decent signing as he'll be able to cover both CB and LB. Don't think we'll sign Pieters though unless we really want to sign a LB. The third player could very well be further defensive cover, not sure really!

We'll see.

My brother who goes to the games has told me he has been talking to some gadge who claims to be Adam Llambias, son of. He said that the young french guy we have nailed on to sign is Nolan Roux.  Even my Brother doesn't believe this guy is Llambias son so probably bollox. But maybe Maiga is not the one all set to join us in January.