World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Guest Stephen927

Capello went with form in the case of some players though, Ashley Young being a prime example. I do agree that I would prefer a left footed winger but Gerrard hasn't looked too bad out there and Joe Cole pretty much had that spot sewn before his injury. It becomes a problem when neither are confident running to the byline and putting in a cross with their left, but hopefully Lennon will be doing that all tournament long on the right side.

None of the ones who got the elbow were going to be starters so I dont really care.

I'd have had Johnson wide left in the absence of anybody else.

Stevie G has played a stack of  games over there & done well. JC has played there & done well. Barry can play out there. Would not want to see Jimmy Milner or Warnock out there like. Also Johnson not going just adds more to Mackem misey of Bent not going.

After Johnson kissed his Man City badge having just scored the winner at the SOS, I don't suppose that'll bother that mob too much.

I don't really want players who "can play out there" as part of an England first XI at a World Cup yet again, I'd have preferred a natural left footer/left winger - preferably one who's on form and not in the doldrums like Gerrard and Cole. Personally I'd have taken Ashley Young (not a left footer but certainly a left winger), even though he's not had a fantastic season like the year before, but Capello just plain doesn't fancy him.

We will get more out of Steven Gerrard & Joe Cole on the left as we have seen during the qualifying campaign than we would have from A.Johnson imo. Also worth remembering most of Johnsons games for Man City have been on the right as Bellamy tends to play on the left. Barry was a left footer was the only player I can play out there for & that was meant as my 3rd choice out of the current squad.

Guest VegasToon

Just for laughs.  My MANUSA mate keeps telling me that the US will beat England.  I have no fucking clue why?   :idiot2:

Guest Stephen927

King can only play one game per week, hopefully he'll be decent back-up to come in and do a job but obviously it becomes a problem with him if Terry or Ferdinand are out for 2 or more games. He didn't have a good game for Mexico but he is still a quality centre half to have as back-up.

Capello went with form in the case of some players though, Ashley Young being a prime example. I do agree that I would prefer a left footed winger but Gerrard hasn't looked too bad out there and Joe Cole pretty much had that spot sewn before his injury. It becomes a problem when neither are confident running to the byline and putting in a cross with their left, but hopefully Lennon will be doing that all tournament long on the right side.

I don't have a problem with Joe Cole playing on the left simply because Ashley Cole is a terrific full back and he'll gladly bomb down that left flank and give his winger the support he needs.

Guest Stephen927

I don't have a problem with Joe Cole playing on the left simply because Ashley Cole is a terrific full back and he'll gladly bomb down that left flank and give his winger the support he needs.

Aye, definitely.

I hope only taking 4 strikers doesn't bite Capello on the bum

I know what you mean, but realistically who would he take? Bent and Carlton Cole aren't going to provide anything that isn't already there in the squad. Perhaps Cole has the ability but has only woken up too late in his career.

It would have been nice to have included another creative, withdrawn striker but no-one particularly springs to mind, and Capello would have been aware that Joe Cole and Gerrard can fill in there.

pointless NUFC/England world cup trivia.  All players to have been playing for NUFC while in an England WC squad...

Brazil 1950

Jackie Milburn

Switzerland 1954

Ivor Broadis

Mexico 1986

Peter Beardsley

France 1998

Alan Shearer

David Batty

Robert Lee

Japan/South Korea 2002

Kieron Dyer

Germany 2006

Michael Owen

WBCP how many non-English have we sent to the WC

I will start the ball rolling:

Iain Stewart - NI

Davie Mac - NI

Shay - Eire

Give me 10 and I'll draw up a list (I'm bored as hell)

Nice one  :thup:

Brazil 1950

George Robledo  -  Chile  (only player at that WC not playing club football in his own country)

Sweden 1958

Alf McMichael, Dick Keith & Tommy Casey  -  all Northern Ireland

Mexico 1986

David McCreery & Ian Stewart  -  both Northern Ireland

Japan/South Korea 2002

Andy O'Brien & Shay Given  -  both Republic of Ireland

Germany 2006

Craig Moore  -  Australia

Jean-Alain Boumsong  -  France

South Africa 2010

Jonas Gutierrez  -  Argentina