World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

You're suggesting we should therefore not take him and take someone else who has only made fleeting appearances from the bench? Who?

No, I'm suggesting that we take a player who will have more of an impact of the bench than someone who has never been able to have any impact of the bench.

Obviously Defoe has more impact than him off the bench, I'd imagine Agbonlahor would if we choose to take another but probably not, Crouch, Heskey, Rooney and Defoe along with the likes of Walcott and Gerrard who could play upfront.

Where is this "Bent not good off the bench" information coming from?

Never did anything off the bench for Spurs, not to mention he can't handle pressure, and would never make it at a big club.

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent and Walcott (who can obviously play wide as well) for me.

In that case it would be completely pointless taking Bent, he's not going to play, takes up a useful place for someone like Adam Johnson.

Never did anything off the bench for Spurs, not to mention he can't handle pressure, and would never make it at a big club.

???

He's handling the pressure of being Sunderland's only consistent goalscoring threat rather well this season, wouldn't you say?

Agbonlahor ahead of Bent?  :lol:

Bent has to go.

Why? He has no chance of starting and has never been an impact player so there is no point in taking him.

What? :lol:

You heard me, if you think I'm incorrect then make a point.

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent and Walcott (who can obviously play wide as well) for me.

In that case it would be completely pointless taking Bent, he's not going to play, takes up a useful place for someone like Adam Johnson.

When have I said I wouldn't take Johnson!?

Bloody hell man.

So, you've got no information then? Do you have any stats to pack this up?

???

He's handling the pressure of being Sunderland's only consistent goalscoring threat rather well this season, wouldn't you say?

Agbonlahor ahead of Bent?  :lol:

Hardly pressure for a team that has little danger of getting relegated in this Premiership season.

3 penalties missed against Spurs this season says a lot.

Agbonlahor would probably be a better option if we choose to take 5 out and out strikers because he's quicker and arguably a better player playing in a better team...

You only needed to watch his performances for Spurs coming off the bench and his performances for England for my point to be proven.

You only needed to watch his performances for Spurs coming off the bench and his performances for England for my point to be proven.

I did. He was bad for both of them, whether he was starting or coming off the bench.

I did. He was bad for both of them, whether he was starting or coming off the bench.

Then it backs up my point about playing under pressure, a lot more pressure playing for Spurs and England than Sunderland FFS. :lol:

He's a natural goalscorer, we have very few.

I disagree with that, but even so, surely Defoe is more of a natural goalscorer than him and has done it for England before, therefore rendering picking Bent completely pointless.

Bent can't handle pressure? Because he missed some penalties this season?

Why would he never make it at a big club?

If you think Agbonlahor is a better player than Bent, it's personal opinion, but if we're using Bent's England career as a guideline, are you going to ignore Agbonlahor's equally short England career? And we should take him over Bent because Aston Villa > Sunderland?!  :lol:

Bent's record this season is all the more remarkable because of the very fact he's in a mediocre team, and not being presented with that many chances!

What exactly is an impact player? Surely every good pass, corner, shot etc. is 'making an impact'.......

It is making a sufficient impact off the bench in this circumstance, is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest he can do as well as Crouch or Defoe coming off the bench for England? No known evidence of this so he would get nowhere near my squad.

Then it backs up my point about playing under pressure, a lot more pressure playing for Spurs and England than Sunderland FFS. :lol:

Everyone on Spurs sucked nuts during his time there, they must all be bad playing under pressure. Not sure how you can be labeled as thatif you're playing poorly for one club, and scoring goals for another, worse team, with worse players to give him the ball.

5 England caps is definitely not enough to judge him on.

He's a natural goalscorer, we have very few.

I disagree with that, but even so, surely Defoe is more of a natural goalscorer than him and has done it for England before, therefore rendering picking Bent completely pointless.

Based on what? Bent has far more goals this season in a far inferior team.

What exactly is an impact player? Surely every good pass, corner, shot etc. is 'making an impact'.......

It is making a sufficient impact off the bench in this circumstance, is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest he can do as well as Crouch or Defoe coming off the bench for England? No known evidence of this so he would get nowhere near my squad.

He's only ever come off the bench 3 times for England - you're therefore saying on that basis, this 24 goal striker would come nowhere near your squad.

Bent can't handle pressure? Because he missed some penalties this season?

Why would he never make it at a big club?

If you think Agbonlahor is a better player than Bent, it's personal opinion, but if we're using Bent's England career as a guideline, are you going to ignore Agbonlahor's equally short England career? And we should take him over Bent because Aston Villa > Sunderland?  :lol:

Bent's record this season is all the more remarkable because of the very fact he's in a mediocre team, and not being presented with that many chances!

Bent can't handle pressure because he had his chances at a big club and failed, had his chances for England and failed, and he's missed out on the chance of defying some of his critics this season by missing those penalties when he was under pressure (against his former club, the club who had written him off).