World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

He's a natural goalscorer, we have very few.

I disagree with that, but even so, surely Defoe is more of a natural goalscorer than him and has done it for England before, therefore rendering picking Bent completely pointless.

Even if you think Defoe is more of a natural goalscorer, how on earth does that mean we shouldn't pick Bent?

My word.

Bent can't handle pressure? Because he missed some penalties this season?

Why would he never make it at a big club?

If you think Agbonlahor is a better player than Bent, it's personal opinion, but if we're using Bent's England career as a guideline, are you going to ignore Agbonlahor's equally short England career? And we should take him over Bent because Aston Villa > Sunderland?  :lol:

Bent's record this season is all the more remarkable because of the very fact he's in a mediocre team, and not being presented with that many chances!

Bent can't handle pressure because he had his chances at a big club and failed, had his chances for England and failed, and he's missed out on the chance of defying some of his critics this season by missing those penalties when he was under pressure (against his former club, the club who had written him off).

His full 202 minutes for England, I guess you're basing that on?

Is this the same Darren Bent who was Tottenham's top scorer last year?  :facepalm:

I disagree with that, but even so, surely Defoe is more of a natural goalscorer than him and has done it for England before, therefore rendering picking Bent completely pointless.

Even if you think Defoe is more of a natural goalscorer, how on earth does that mean we shouldn't pick Bent?

My word.

When is Bent going to play if we have Rooney, Heskey, Crouch and Defoe? Who are all better players/more effective/have better England records?

My word, that is my point.

My word.

When is Bent going to play if we have Rooney, Heskey, Crouch and Defoe? Who are all better players/more effective/have better England records?

My word, that is my point.

So he hasn't been given a real chance at England level and therefore shouldn't be allowed in the squad? There's easily enough room for Bent. He'd comfortably go ahead of Heskey for me, if not both Heskey and Crouch.

If you think Agbonlahor is a better player than Bent, it's personal opinion, but if we're using Bent's England career as a guideline, are you going to ignore Agbonlahor's equally short England career? And we should take him over Bent because Aston Villa > Sunderland?  :lol:

Bent's record this season is all the more remarkable because of the very fact he's in a mediocre team, and not being presented with that many chances!

Bent can't handle pressure because he had his chances at a big club and failed, had his chances for England and failed, and he's missed out on the chance of defying some of his critics this season by missing those penalties when he was under pressure (against his former club, the club who had written him off).

Is this the same Darren Bent who was Tottenham's top scorer last year?  :facepalm:

I'm basing it on his whole career.

Considering his only rival was Pavlyuchenko then that's not saying much, and they still felt the need to sign Defoe and Keane, I'd be interested to see how many he actually got last season compared to the 4 months or so of Defoe...

Heskey and Crouch are better than Bent? I'm going to bed.

Check the record England have with Heskey in the team, he may not be easy on the eye but he's been a regular England starter for 2 years and England have done excellently with him in the team...

Crouch gives something different to Defoe, Heskey and Rooney, something that Bent doesn't.

Considering his only rival was Pavlyuchenko then that's not saying much, and they still felt the need to sign Defoe and Keane, I'd be interested to see how many he actually got last season compared to the 4 months or so of Defoe...

Eh? What are you basing on his whole career? He's had one poor season by his standards, 07-08 at Spurs. 142 goals in 337 appearances, is that a poor record in your eyes?

Eh? What are you basing on his whole career? He's had one poor season by his standards, 07-08 at Spurs. 142 goals in 337 appearances, is that a poor record in your eyes?

It's not poor, it's pretty much exactly the same as Defoe's overall career record, I think anyone with half a brain would take Defoe over Bent (if it was a straight choice), so I'm not sure why anyone would take Bent, as Defoe is that type of player who will be going.

My point is that you can't take Defoe and Bent, one or the other, and 100% of the time it's Defoe, for me and Fabio Capello.

It's not poor, it's pretty much exactly the same as Defoe's overall career record, I think anyone with half a brain would take Defoe over Bent (if it was a straight choice), so I'm not sure why anyone would take Bent, as Defoe is that type of player who will be going.

My point is that you can't take Defoe and Bent, one or the other, and 100% of the time it's Defoe, for me and Fabio Capello.

Right! Now we're getting to the crux of it.

I disagree, we can easily take both. Where we differ is on the matter of Crouch and Heskey. I wouldn't take both, because I would much, MUCH rather have Bent, a player who has been absolutely prolific and brimming with confidence, in the squad, rather than Heskey, with 5 in 41. Goals aren't the be-all-and-end-all but they're pretty damn important for a striker and I can't see how we can have space for someone who has been utterly impotent for Villa this year. I don't think Crouch is a world beater but I'd take him ahead of Heskey. As such, Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent and Walcott would be my forward line.

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent and Walcott (who can obviously play wide as well) for me.

In that case it would be completely pointless taking Bent, he's not going to play, takes up a useful place for someone like Adam Johnson.

When have I said I wouldn't take Johnson!?

Bloody hell man.

I missed this at the time, I never said you did, but if we took 5 strikers a long with players like Milner, Walcott, Joe Cole, Lennon and the like then we possibly couldn't take Johnson, yet if we only took 4 strikers in Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Heskey then we could probably take Johnson, or some other fringe player who will prove a lot more useful than Bent.

Right! Now we're getting to the crux of it.

I disagree, we can easily take both. Where we differ is on the matter of Crouch and Heskey. I wouldn't take both, because I would much, MUCH rather have Bent, a player who has been absolutely prolific and brimming with confidence, in the squad, rather than Heskey, with 5 in 41. Goals aren't the be-all-and-end-all but they're pretty damn important for a striker and I can't see how we can have space for someone who has been utterly impotent for Villa this year. I don't think Crouch is a world beater but I'd take him ahead of Heskey. As such, Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent and Walcott would be my forward line.

As I said before, Heskey brings an awful lot to the team, and that has been proven once again in the qualification campaign this year, Rooney has been prolific alongside him and Lampard and Gerrard have also scored plenty of goals with him in the team, it doesn't matter how many goals an individual scores for a team, it matters how many goals/how the team performs/what the results are with that player in the team, and England have played better in recent memory with Heskey in the team than without.

I just can't see in what circumstance Bent would play, we need a goal we bring in Defoe and/or Crouch, we've got the pace with Walcott/Lennon and other players in the team, that's why I couldn't take both.

Guest je85

Gareth Barry's having his ankle assesed on friday and is likely to be out of this weekends game, if it's anything substantial it'll give Fab something to think about.

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent and Walcott (who can obviously play wide as well) for me.

Need an alternative to Crouch. Would take C Cole in place of Walcott or Bent.

Alternative? Someone who can hold up the ball? Along with his 25 goals this season, Bent's pretty handy at that too.

Surely there is no way Heskey will go? He's barely played for Villa (at least from what I've seen) this spring, and when he has, he's hardly been prolific. Can't really argue with Rooney, Crouch, Defoe and Bent, with Walcott going as winger/final back up striker.

Surely there is no way Heskey will go? He's barely played for Villa (at least from what I've seen) this spring, and when he has, he's hardly been prolific. Can't really argue with Rooney, Crouch, Defoe and Bent, with Walcott going as winger/final back up striker.

I reckon Heskey is nailed on to be in the squad personally. He's been a stalwart in the qualification team, not sure I see that changing.

I reckon Heskey is nailed on to be in the squad personally. He's been a stalwart in the qualification team, not sure I see that changing.

Aye, that what's in his favour like.

I was impressed with Adam Johnson again last night. Unlike the alternatives (Lennon, SWP, Walcott), his decision-making and composure are good. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the squad now.

I like Mancini but he made a blundering error in not switching Johnson onto the other wing last night.

Agree, Assou-Ekotto was terrific and there wasn't much play going on on the right wing. Bellamy should have come off for SWP, with Johnson being the better player of the two, should have switched flank to come up against Kaboul, and then tried attacking down that flank a lot more often.

Aye, that what's in his favour like.

That and the fact he's blatantly the best partner for Rooney. :thup: