World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

..............Green

G.Johnson Terry Ferdinand A.Cole

A.Johnson Barry Lampard

Rooney    Gerrard

Heskey

That final midfield position alongside Barry and Lampard is a bit of a problem. I'd like to pick Joe Cole, but he's not played much. SWP has the talent but might not be much help to Glen Johnson. Lennon - again, not played much. Walcott - still raw, and relies too much on pace.

So in the friendly matches, I'd give Johnson a go. He seems to have the brains and the temperament to step up.

Has Gary Neville retired from England?

Don't even think about it  :icon_puke_r:

Why not. He could be a better defensive option than Johnson.

I'd still go for Johnson mind, shame he's been injured most of this season, a quality player imo.

Who else is there? Brown? No. Richards hasn't played that much either. Johnson is very weak defensively, if we were leading in a game and under a bit of pressure bringing Neville on would be my first sub in place of Johnson.

If we wanted to play 1 up top, how about:

GK: Green

DR: Johnson

DL: Cole

DC: Terry

DC: Ferdinand

MC: Barry (slightly more defensively-minded)

MC : Gerrard

AML: Milner/Johnson

AMR: Lennon

AMC: Lampard

FC: Rooney

1. I'm not Barry's biggest fan, but Carrick is not in good form.

2. Left-wing would be a dilemma: I'm not sure what Milner's like from the left, nor do I think Gerrard really flourishes from there. I'd entertain him from the right-wing though in a 4-4-2.

3. Lampard is our best midfielder at the moment quite easily. As such, play him in his best position.

4. I have reservations over Rooney as a lone striker, even if we did have Lampard and co supporting.

If we went for a 4-4-2, I'd currently probably go for something like what Rich has posted. Lennon however is looking doubtful, so I'd consider Gerrard on the right, Barry/Lampard central and Johnson on the left. Actually, maybe Milner.

Heskey can fuck off. He can barely manage Premiership football these days, let alone International. And don't give me the usual 'what he provides is vital to the team' bollocks.

It has to be Defoe/Crouch/etc alongside or Rooney alone for me.

Who else is there? Brown? No. Richards hasn't played that much either. Johnson is very weak defensively, if we were leading in a game and under a bit of pressure bringing Neville on would be my first sub in place of Johnson.

I actually think I'd rather play Capello there.

Neville is terrible, man. And one of the hardest players on earth to look at, he'd ruin the entire tournament.

He's done alright this season. Experianced and can still whip in a decent cross. Who else goes with Johnson for you?

Would much rather just stick Richards in the squad for cover. Neville has been past it for a long time. Obviously I just hope Johnson will remain fit throughout the tournament, although even he is a liabilty when defending.

It is rather strange that we have a couple of decent backups for the left-back position.

Neville is terrible, man. And one of the hardest players on earth to look at, he'd ruin the entire tournament.

He's done alright this season. Experianced and can still whip in a decent cross. Who else goes with Johnson for you?

Richards or Brown.

If we went for a 4-4-2, I'd currently probably go for something like what Rich has posted. Lennon however is looking doubtful, so I'd consider Gerrard on the right, Barry/Lampard central and Johnson on the left. Actually, maybe Milner.

So basically, you have no idea either :lol:

there's more than just the right back to worry about,  i've doubts and worries over whichever keeper gets picked, Green or James.  As everyone knows RB is a problem but you've also got Terry coming into the tournament on the back of a poor season and hasn't played well for ages,  Rio has barely played and Cole who is a quality player is returnin from injury and will hopefully be able to rediscover is form from early in the season.

So basically, you have no idea either :lol:

:lol:

there's more than just the right back to worry about,  i've doubts and worries over whichever keeper gets picked, Green or James.   As everyone knows RB is a problem but you've also got Terry coming into the tournament on the back of a poor season and hasn't played well for ages,  Rio has barely played and Cole who is a quality player is returnin from injury and will hopefully be able to rediscover is form from early in the season.

Aye, apart from Cole, the defence is worrying when/if get to latter stages. Also, if James is 1st choice, we may aswell withdraw now.

England have no real stand out goalkeeper, no centre halves in form/fit, a first choice right back who can't defend and a left back who hasn't played (& no cover for him either).

Baines is probably in the top five back up left backs in the tournament, I rate him very highly tbh.