World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

USA as the "surprise package".

England semi finals.

Argies v Brazil final.

That would be tasty.

IMO the US of A will go out in the 1st round. My tip for surprise package would be Paraguay, they seem to have a decent group.

Guest MrSundlofer

I will support Chile this World Cup. I like Bielsa and his formation and the players. Very attacking style of football.

I will support Chile this World Cup. I like Bielsa and his formation and the players. Very attacking style of football.

I fancy them to get to the knock-out rounds.

Bielsa's Chile with their very attacking style against Hitzfeld's well drilled and organized Swiss team for second spot will be an interesting match up. Two very contrasting teams.

There must be something wrong with people who don't like the World Cup.

They could be from an insignificant country....... 

Or pretend that they are even though they're English any way....  O0

I'm going for Germany for the win. 'Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles' (even though they don't sing that any more.  A bit like us smiting the rebellious filthy Jocks in the later verses of The Queen's theme) and all that.

hope the argies do well. jonas + maradona = :smitten: would be great if colo made it, but looks too late for him

To be honest I hope The Argie scum get bum raped in all of thier group games and Maradona engorges himself and bursts his gastric band, suffering a long painful death.  The cheating fucking cunt.

hope the argies do well. jonas + maradona = :smitten: would be great if colo made it, but looks too late for him

Looks like Maradona will be starting with 4 CBs in his starting line-up for the World Cup, so Colo has a chance. Unfortunately his 4 CBs that brought him the success in recent friendlies look like certs for the plane, injuries however could let him into the picture.

I was really considering the sticker book but assumed no-one was that sad.

I may have to invest.

I've got one, but then I have kids so can get away with it. Went mental at my step-son earlier when he stuck down Steven Pienaar all wonky. Do it fucking properly boy!

Also, scandalous that niether Colo or Jonas are in the album. Just. Plain. Wrong.

I may have to invest.

I've got one, but then I have kids so can get away with it. Went mental at my step-son earlier when he stuck down Steven Pienaar all wonky. Do it fucking properly boy!

Also, scandalous that niether Colo or Jonas are in the album. Just. Plain. Wrong.

Jonas is in the team sticker. :jonas:

England's stickers are all shite; their team sticker is just the heads from the individual stickers pasted into a collage.

Ronaldo looks photoshopped to hell.

I may have to invest.

Jonas is in the team sticker. :jonas:

England's stickers are all shite; their team sticker is just the heads from the individual stickers pasted into a collage.

Ronaldo looks photoshopped to hell.

Yeah, I saw him in that one as we got it the other day. Still, gutting that there is no Newcastle player with their own sticker in the book though.

It is our turn to experience glory. We are going to paint the world green-white-green. The trophy will not leave Africa!! :snod: I am quietly confident we can get out of our group. We've always given Argentina a game when we've played them, and we have no reason to be scared of Greece or South Korea. (No disrepect, I imagine they feel the same about us) If we manage that we would play France/Uruguay/Mexico/SA in the second round. Not scared of any of these teams. From that point anything can happen. People are writing us off, but I like this. Underestimate Naija and our Super Eagles at your own peril.

As for US-England, I am going for US, tbh. I like it when the colony punishes the master. I hope we can do the same to them one day.

Adebayor as a pundit? :lol:

:lol: He's incomprehensible. Anytime I see him interviewed I'm just baffled.

Tokenism because it's being held in South Africa tbh, they could have got an actual pundit though instead of just a random player. What's happened to Desailly? He's not the best but surely would do a far better job than Adebayor. Or did him playing for France mean he didn't fit the criteria?

Oh, and blatantly a Brazil/Spain final.

Desailly is ITV non?

Chi - Chi - Chi; Lay - Lay - Lay!

I'm supporting Uruguay as my second team. Was over there when they went got past Costa Rica and was joining in the celebrations so i feel obliged. Vamos La Celeste!

Honourable mentions to Chile though they do play some good football.

There must be something wrong with people who don't like the World Cup.

It's like watching an exhibition match. I just feel kind of "meh" about it.

This is flabbergasting to me. My entire country literally goes insane. For an entire month. (Well, okay admittedly we're rarely still in contention for the whole month, so probably more like two weeks)

http://photo.gm.go.kr/down/%EA%B9%80%EC%9C%A0%EC%A2%85(%EC%9B%94%EB%93%9C%EC%BB%B5)5.jpg

I am looking forward to some more of this in two month's time.

Wasn't that a pic from when you hosted it?  Surely it won't be as mad as that?

Fancy your chances past the group stage?

We had similar crowds for 2006 as well (when the matches were on after midnight.) 2002 was such a profound shared cultural experience for us... It's basically imprinted into our DNA to flock to the streets when world cup footy is on now.

I personally think we have a very good chance of making the second round. We've got our best team ever and Greece and Nigeria(sorry babatunde :razz:) both look very beatable to me. Of course, it'll still require some good form and plenty of luck on our part.