World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Not a lot of potential darkhorses because a lot of good teams didn't qualify, but Serbia is definitely one. Only problem is that they've got a nasty group, possibly followed by England.

Serbia, Chile, Cameroon

Think he's going to take the Joe Cole role of someone with a bit of technical ability and magic about him who could pull something from nothing. You would expect him to get a bit of time on the pitch initially, but I can't see him starting.

What would peoples England starting XI look like now then?

Green

Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole

Lennon Carrick Milner Johnson

Lampard

Rooney

Something like that for me. Not sure on the wings though. If Lennon can find his form from earlier this season, he'll be a great asset. Players like him and Walcott usually cause a lot of trouble with their pace, usually even more so at International level than in the Premier League.

What would peoples England starting XI look like now then?

Green

Lennon Carrick Milner Johnson

Lampard

Rooney

Something like that for me. Not sure on the wings though. If Lennon can find his form from earlier this season, he'll be a great asset. Players like him and Walcott usually cause a lot of trouble with their pace, usually even more so at International level than in the Premier League.

Carrick has barely played all season for Man Utd on the basis that he's been utter fucking gash.

Guest je85

I would like to see a 4-5-1, at least tried in a friendly anyway, with Gerrard sitting behind Rooney like he does for Liverpool when Torres is fit.

Green

Lampard Barry

Lennon                             Milner

Gerrard

Rooney

Green

Johnson     Ferdinand      Terry       Cole

Lennon      Lampard      Barry      Gerrard

Rooney      Heskey

Seems to be the most probable starting XI, the only debate really comes on the right wing (Walcott/SWP) and if any of those other players are injured.

I would like to see a 4-5-1 with Gerrard sitting behind Rooney like he does for Liverpool when Torres is fit.

Green

Lampard Barry

Gerrard

Rooney

Aye, this would be my preferred team, perhaps with Johnson/Downing instead of Milner.

Neither of our target men, Heskey/Crouch, are anyway near world class and would hamper our chances.

I would like to see a 4-5-1 with Gerrard sitting behind Rooney like he does for Liverpool when Torres is fit.

Green

Lampard Barry

Gerrard

Rooney

Aye, this would be my preferred team, perhaps with Johnson/Downing instead of Milner.

Neither of our target men, Heskey/Crouch, are anyway near world class and would hamper our chances.

We need the big AC!

Green

Johnson     Ferdinand      Terry       Cole

Lennon      Lampard      Barry      Gerrard

Rooney      Heskey

Seems to be the most probable starting XI, the only debate really comes on the right wing (Walcott/SWP) and if any of those other players are injured.

I'd go with that but with maybe Milner in for Barry.

Every time I see the right hand side of our team I dread us coming up against anyone with decent attackers on their left hand side.

Yup. Glen Johnson is appalling at defending and he's going to have a shortarse infront of him n all. RB really our weak link.