World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Guest BooBoo

I wonder what's the odds of all the African sides being eliminated in the Group stage? Ivory Coast are meant to be one of the strongest sides and they have a nightmare group.

I wonder what's the odds of all the African sides being eliminated in the Group stage? Ivory Coast are meant to be one of the strongest sides and they have a nightmare group.

Think Cameroon or Nigeria stand the best chance but I'd not be shocked if they all failed to make it through.

I think Netherlands should be able to go very far in this World Cup. They have a good team and both Robben and Sneijder are probably in the form of their lives.

Don't think Germany will come really far this time tbh. 2002 they had Kahn who seemed to be able to save everything until the final and 2006 it was in Germany. Now we don't have a "world class" goalkeeper and the likes of Ballack and Klose who always did well at those tournaments are getting old and/or aren't in great form. And the fact that uncertainty is surrounding the future of Jogi Löw isn't great either.

Think England will be better this time than in the last World Cups. Always good players - but I think this season the difference will be made by Cappello. And if Rooney will get into his great form again I think England could into the final.

I bet on the Dutch every f***ing two years and they screw it up.

They're like Spurs - full of promise, but never acheive anything.

England will get put out at the semis to Brazil - you heard it here first!

Holland and Argentina suffer from having absolutely woeful defences/keepers compared to Spain & Brasil.

Holland could have a great keeper - Tim Krul  O0

Is Van Der Sar still their number 1?

Stekelenberg I think plays. Thought VDS had retired?

According to wiki, came back out of retirement when the team had GK injury problems during qualification.  Dunno if he's still playing tho.

I bet on the Dutch every f***ing two years and they screw it up.

They're like Spurs - full of promise, but never acheive anything.

England will get put out at the semis to Brazil - you heard it here first!

Actually they heard it here second. Check my last post

Wasn't that a pic from when you hosted it? Surely it won't be as mad as that?

Fancy your chances past the group stage?

We had similar crowds for 2006 as well (when the matches were on after midnight.) 2002 was such a profound shared cultural experience for us... It's basically imprinted into our DNA to flock to the streets when world cup footy is on now.

I personally think we have a very good chance of making the second round. We've got our best team ever and Greece and Nigeria(sorry babatunde :razz:) both look very beatable to me. Of course, it'll still require some good form and plenty of luck on our part.

I definitely feel the same emotions about the World Cup, man. In a country with so many divisions and problems, supporting the Super Eagles is one thing every can agree about. I feel the same about our group as well. I'm not scared of Greece, and Togo gave you lot fits last time before the red card, so I'm confident that we can finish the job that our little brothers started. :razz: We have a score to settle with Argentina after all that we've gone through against them. I hope our boys can go win that one on the bask of supporters from Nigerians all over the world and all on the continent of Africa.

I go back to 1966, and this is the best England squad I've seen. It will take a very good side to beat us.

Having said that, there are two very good sides around, unfortunately. The obvious ones - Spain and Brazil. However, the World Cup is mostly a knock-out tournament, and the odds are that all the top teams, at one stage, will have to survive a penalty shoot out. So it could happen.

I go back to 1966, and this is the best England squad I've seen. It will take a very good side to beat us.

Having said that, there are two very good sides around, unfortunately. The obvious ones - Spain and Brazil. However, the World Cup is mostly a knock-out tournament, and the odds are that all the top teams, at one stage, will have to survive a penalty shoot out. So it could happen.

Mean the same squad that didn't qualify for the Euro 08?

From a neutral point of view I reckon people are getting way ahead of themselves cause of some wins against Ukraine, Belaraus, Kazakhstan, Croatia and Andorra.

Just look at the last 3 times you've played against a decent side since 08

Spain played you of the park in that 2-0 friendly, you drew against the Netherlands 2-2 and lost 1-0 to Brazil, I certainly don't see anything that warrants calling this the best team since 1966.

I might have to eat my words after the tournament but I don't think you'll do nearly as well you lot and the bookies think.

still..your group is quite easy and you'll most likley face Ghana/Serbia (giving you and Germany win your groups) in the round of 16, so you do have a relatively easy ride to the quarter finals.

Without Rooney England is nothing special. Rooney has been getting injured a lot lately...

Guest Roland

According to wiki Piet Velthuizen has the number 1. So I suppose if he has the shirt he'll be their nr.1 keeper at the World Cup.

Stekelenburg will be our number 1 at he World Cup. Michel Vorn (FC Utrecht) will be number 2 and most likely Velthuizen will be our number 3.

Our central defence is the main problem, only Heitinga and Mathijssen are regulary playing in a strong league. Boulahrouz and Braafheid never play, Ooijer is become very weak and Vlaar has no international experience.

So we will follow a old advise of Cruyff: the attack is the best way of defending. ;)

Without Rooney England is nothing special. Rooney has been getting injured a lot lately...

Agreed. We're dependent on Rooney staying fit, and it looks like he's been over-played. Man U are equally dependent on him and that was always the danger.

He could be in for a useful little rest now though.

Guest je85

With some of the defenders Serbia have they could do well, these tournaments often reward good defensive football, Greece in 2004 and Italy last time round.