Crouch in january

Guest toonarmy1810

Guest MrBrightside18

I think that Crouch would help us play the big man small man partnership, as in Martins and Owen we have two of the fastest strikers in the premiership and would thrive on Crouch's knockdowns.  It would be difficult for Roeder to choose his starting eleven though, but to be honest that is a problem I would much rather have than the injury hit squad we have at the minute.

I find roeder's 'denial' hardly convincing.  I certainly think he's enquiring.

but again, crouch will end up unhappy here.

Owen has to start and martins needs to be in the team to improve, plus he's roeder's signing.  Martins + Owen upfront FTW.

Aye, but in the second half of the season what happens if Martins and  Sibierski are injured for a lengthy period?

We would clearly be in trouble. However, I don't think we're at the stage where we can afford to spend upwards of £8m on someone who would be third choice striker when everyone is fit, as much as I'd like us to. (Obviously this is making assumptions about how much we will have available to spend, but I think they're reasonable enough).

Given the other areas of the squad that also need reinforcing (LB, CB) I think we would be better off looking for a cheaper option a la Beattie/Viduka who will be able to do a good job for us, and will not be looking for first team football the way Crouch is. If Crouch is unhappy with being on the bench at the moment how will he feel when Owen and Oba are fit?

I agree, but that's assuming the club has a choice. This is the balancing act and why it's not easy to conduct transfers and get the players a club wants. The way people go on ( not you ) anyone would think it was simple. The club may want to go for a cheaper option but what if that cheaper option has other opportunities, or his agent wants him to hang on right to the last day? Then what?

You're right, we could well end up in trouble if we don't sign a striker - one injury to Martins and we're struggling. As admirably as he's performed for us I can't see the Sib doing too well week in week out up top on his own.

In my opinion I'd rather we went for cheaper options from day one, and run the risk of getting Crouch for £10m on the last day of the window, when all other possibilities have been exhausted. It won't be that easy to bring in a decent striker, but I'd rather the most expensive option was our lowest priority at the moment, hopefully giving us a chance to bring in a few more bodies.

Having said that, if there are no defenders to be had, we may as well spend the extra (e.g.) £4m we would have on them on a striker. We'd be better off signing just Crouch than just Beattie.

Pretty much the way I'm thinking of it as well, in terms of trying the cheaper options first, but it's a gamble and it's obvious how fickle some people are just by reading the posts on this forum.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has vowed he has no plans to sell Peter Crouch in the January transfer window.

Crouch has been linked with a possible switch to Newcastle, but Magpies boss Glenn Roeder played down the suggestions.

It was claimed Liverpool could be willing to offload Crouch to fund a move for Valencia star David Villa.

However, Benitez insists he has no intention of letting Crouch leave and bringing in Spanish international Villa.

"I can be very clear - we do not want to buy Villa and we do not want to sell Peter Crouch," said Benitez.

"Villa is a fantastic player but we are not interested in buying him now."

Crouch has struggled to hold down a place in Benitez's starting XI in recent weeks, but the Spaniard has backed the England international to bounce back to form.

"He is working hard and the only thing you can do with a striker in this situation is continue to support him," added Benitez. "If he continues to work as he has been doing, I will be happy.

"You can never say you are really pleased with the strikers because it is important to take your chances. But the important thing to say to all of your strikers is just to keep going."

Benitez also hinted that he could make a foray into the transfer market next month with Blackburn's Lucas Neill continually linked with a switch to Anfield.

"If you are top side and you can do something you must always look for improvement but at the moment we are happy with the squad we have got and they are all playing well," concluded Benitez.

"Secondly, I really hate managers talking about other managers' players.

"Peter Crouch is a Liverpool player and I do not think Rafael Benitez would appreciate me talking about Peter Crouch when he is not a Newcastle player.

erm, didn't GR mention publicly that he wanted to sign Gile Barnes and Gareth Bale? Talk about hypocrocy

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/23122006/1/roeder-fan-bale-barnes.html

"Peter Crouch is a Liverpool player and I do not think Rafael Benitez would appreciate me talking about Peter Crouch when he is not a Newcastle player.

erm, didn't GR mention publicly that he wanted to sign Gile Barnes and Gareth Bale? Talk about hypocrocy

Not really. According to some, the comments about Barnes and Bale are actually the club seriously negotiating to sign those players.

Anybody who thinks we can more afford another injury in defence is round the bend, just look what we put out against Bolton.  An injury in defence at this time will probably cost us more than an injury to Sibierski who I think is on the same number of league goals as Dyer and Parker(guess).

We've raped the reserves for defenders, where do we go after that?

I dont think we need big man/ small man.  All out pace could work very well i think, and it's what caused us to rip spurs apart at the start.

Martins---------Owen

----------Dyer

B)

I agree that Owen and Martins could work well.  I'd prefer 4-4-2 though, rather than Dyer in what appears to be a floating role there.

Which midfield players would you see (and formation) behind those 3 as you've shown above? I won't bang on about it too much if you suggest Parker,  :winking:  but just in case I'll have to say immediately that his slow passing ability would be really exposed by those 3 pacey players ahead of him. They'd be offside 9 times out of 10 as Parker begins his second twirl. 

Not really. According to some, the comments about Barnes and Bale are actually the club seriously negotiating to sign those players.

The conversation was about who we might sign, you said you didn't have a clue as the club where keeping everything a secret and I pointed out Roeder had admitted having an interest in Bale and Barnes so maybe we werent being THAT secret, I didnt say we were in negotiations or anything of the sort.

But as usual twist everything to suit your argument when you clearly didnt understand something and had to have it explained again and again until it sunk in (which apparently it still might not have  bluebigeek.gif )

The conversation was about who we might sign, you said you didn't have a clue as the club where keeping everything a secret and I pointed out Roeder had admitted having an interest in Bale and Barnes so maybe we werent being THAT secret, I didnt say we were in negotiations or anything of the sort.

But as usual twist everything to suit your argument when you clearly didnt understand something and had to have it explained again and again until it sunk in (which apparently it still might not have  bluebigeek.gif )

As usual?

I understand very well what you're posting. It's not difficult to follow the simplistic nature of your comment.

Cheers

I dont think we need big man/ small man. All out pace could work very well i think, and it's what caused us to rip spurs apart at the start.

Martins---------Owen

----------Dyer

B)

I agree that Owen and Martins could work well. I'd prefer 4-4-2 though, rather than Dyer in what appears to be a floating role there.

Which midfield players would you see (and formation) behind those 3 as you've shown above? I won't bang on about it too much if you suggest Parker, :winking: but just in case I'll have to say immediately that his slow passing ability would be really exposed by those 3 pacey players ahead of him. They'd be offside 9 times out of 10 as Parker begins his second twirl.

tbh i really cant decide, that was just a proposal.  I'm a fan of parker and would always have him as a starter.  However butt has been fantastic recently and when emre's good, he can be a match winner.

Crouch is worth £9-10m and is an important player for Liverpool and England, so there is no reason for Liverpool to let him go for cheaper.

Can I remind people that he was one of the best Premiership and England players last season.

£5m-£6m would not buy us a player as good as Crouch in January, it would take at least £10m hence the valuation placed on him by Liverpool.

I would pay the £12m for Crouch - IF and only IF we then spent more money on other departments at the same time.

Quite probably correct what you're saying there, January is a difficult time to buy players because clubs don't generally want to sell, prices will go up in many cases so if people want the club to buy in January they should expect ( and accept ) this kind of thing.

A couple of people have already said they'd be happy if the club was to pay over the odds to bring in the right players, to get them sooner rather than later.  Well I wouldn't normally want the club to pay over the odds for players, but we still desperately need at least one striker (2 really) so if the MANAGER ASKS THE BOARD to try to bring in a player valued by the seller at ~£12m, and the Board is able and prepared TO BACK THE MANAGER's judgement to that extent, then so be it. Injuries to Martins and Sibierski anytime soon and we're in the relegation mire again. Relegation would ruin the club and is obviously worse than paying an extra couple of million for a player like Crouch, who is a decent player really, although I'd rather we looked elsewhere.

Some people are already winding up for a Board slagfest no matter what happens, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

We make no signings and the Board is slagged.

We sign players certain people don't want and the Board is slagged. Even if people do want new signings the Board is slagged for agreeing to pay a fee that is too high.

It should be an interesting month as this irrational hatred begins to unfold once again........

theres that thing you didn't say HTL  bluewink.gif

Crouch is worth £9-10m and is an important player for Liverpool and England, so there is no reason for Liverpool to let him go for cheaper.

Can I remind people that he was one of the best Premiership and England players last season.

£5m-£6m would not buy us a player as good as Crouch in January, it would take at least £10m hence the valuation placed on him by Liverpool.

I would pay the £12m for Crouch - IF and only IF we then spent more money on other departments at the same time.

Quite probably correct what you're saying there, January is a difficult time to buy players because clubs don't generally want to sell, prices will go up in many cases so if people want the club to buy in January they should expect ( and accept ) this kind of thing.

A couple of people have already said they'd be happy if the club was to pay over the odds to bring in the right players, to get them sooner rather than later.  Well I wouldn't normally want the club to pay over the odds for players, but we still desperately need at least one striker (2 really) so if the MANAGER ASKS THE BOARD to try to bring in a player valued by the seller at ~£12m, and the Board is able and prepared TO BACK THE MANAGER's judgement to that extent, then so be it. Injuries to Martins and Sibierski anytime soon and we're in the relegation mire again. Relegation would ruin the club and is obviously worse than paying an extra couple of million for a player like Crouch, who is a decent player really, although I'd rather we looked elsewhere.

Some people are already winding up for a Board slagfest no matter what happens, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

We sign players certain people don't want and the Board is slagged. Even if people do want new signings the Board is slagged for agreeing to pay a fee that is too high.

It should be an interesting month as this irrational hatred begins to unfold once again........

Fell straight into that one, didn't you? Think about it.

You're the one who babbles on about people twisting what you say (when they aren't) and putting words in your mouth (which they aren't).

Anybody who thinks we can more afford another injury in defence is round the bend, just look what we put out against Bolton.  An injury in defence at this time will probably cost us more than an injury to Sibierski who I think is on the same number of league goals as Dyer and Parker(guess).

According to you, nobody, as you think we can't afford it. But I'm sure you will criticise if they buy, and criticise if they don't.

:lol: :lol:

According to you, nobody, as you think we can't afford it. But I'm sure you will criticise if they buy, and criticise if they don't.

Question:

NE5's answer:

blueconfused.gif :confused:blueconfused.gif :confused:

Question:

NE5's answer:

Statement from you on numerous occasions "We are in a financial hole" [words to that effect]. Therefore pointing out the hypocrisy - as usual - stance ie when your sister comes on you take the view we should not spend yet when people say spend money you jump on the bandwagon....but then again that comes naturally to you doesn't it  :lol: :lol:

And my supposition that you will criticise whatever action they take is spot on and you know it.

Question:

NE5's answer:

Statement from you on numerous occasions "We are in a financial hole" [words to that effect]. Therefore pointing out the hypocrisy - as usual - stance ie when your sister comes on you take the view we should not spend yet when people say spend money you jump on the bandwagon....but then again that comes naturally to you doesn't it  :lol: :lol:

And my supposition that you will criticise whatever action they take is spot on and you know it.

So you quote me then say "words to that effect."  bluelaugh.gif

In other words the quotes are your usual rubbish, funny you use words like "hypocrisy," that fits in with most of your posts.

Just because one of the only people who agree with you is your brother doesn't mean everybody else is related just because they agree on a few issues.

Question:

NE5's answer:

So you quote me then say "words to that effect."  bluelaugh.gif

In other words the quotes are your usual rubbish, funny you use words like "hypocrisy," that fits in with most of your posts.

Just because one of the only people who agree with you is your brother doesn't mean everybody else is related just because they agree on a few issues.

:lol: you keep spouting the same rubbish  ..... but you don't give an answers to what I ask you.

As you constantly fail to answer the questions and hypocrisies that I highlight that you say, I will ask you directly. Do you think the club should buy a player like Crouch for the fee involved or not ? This is because a post was made a while ago that asked the same question, and predictably you didn't give an answer.

You back up your sister when she comes on spouting his financial doomsday prophecies then make numerous posts agreeing with loads of people that the shite board that you think is the same as the one who spent 30 years selling its best players, should go out and spend yet more money.

So, what is it ? Should they or shouldn't they ?

:lol: you keep spouting the same rubbish  ..... but you don't give an answers to what I ask you.

As you constantly fail to answer the questions and hypocrisies that I highlight that you say, I will ask you directly. Do you think the club should buy a player like Crouch for the fee involved or not ? This is because a post was made a while ago that asked the same question, and predictably you didn't give an answer.

You back up your sister when she comes on spouting his financial doomsday prophecies then make numerous posts agreeing with loads of people that the shite board that you think is the same as the one who spent 30 years selling its best players, should go out and spend yet more money.

Where's this post that was made a while ago asking if we should buy Crouch for the fee involved?  The one where I didn't give an answer.  Provide a link and I'll answer it.

I always say the "shit board" should spend within it's means and will not change my mind on that one.  I've said that we should expect and get value for money.

Here's a few you fail to answer, have a go at them.

I do highlight that this shite chairman has taken us backwards, do you agree?

Do you also agree that Doug Ellis is shite and he's guided Villa to finish higher up the league more times than Shepherd has guided us to finish higher than Villa?

You're the one who babbles on about people twisting what you say (when they aren't) and putting words in your mouth (which they aren't).

I wasn't twisting what you said though was I? I didn't say "well some people seem to think (add made up bollocks here)" I copied something you said and changed a word to have a bit of a laugh. Thats a bit different to claiming you said something else when you didn't, isnt it?

I wasn't twisting what you said though was I? I didn't say "well some people seem to think (add made up bollocks here)" I copied something you said and changed a word to have a bit of a laugh. Thats a bit different to claiming you said something else when you didn't, isnt it?

Jesus wept!

You STILL don't get it!!!

Where's this post that was made a while ago asking if we should buy Crouch for the fee involved?  The one where I didn't give an answer.  Provide a link and I'll answer it.

I always say the "shit board" should spend within it's means and will not change my mind on that one.  I've said that we should expect and get value for money.

Here's a few you fail to answer, have a go at them.

I do highlight that this shite chairman has taken us backwards, do you agree?

Do you also agree that Doug Ellis is shite and he's guided Villa to finish higher up the league more times than Shepherd has guided us to finish higher than Villa?

In other words, you think the club should spend nothing in january as you constantly harp on about the financial situation ? Yes or now ? Answer the question.

We have not had as good a manager as keegan since he left so we haven't matched 2nd place, I believe I have said this numerous times. The Bobby Robson era came close which was most definitely a step in the right direction, achieving 3 consecutive top 5 positions for the first time in over 50 years. Do you think we have a divine right to finish in the top 2, or we are "going backwards" if we finish lower - by the same criteria do you think Arsenal have gone backwards as they haven't won the league in the last 2 years, and manu are going backwards since they won the European Cup in 1999 ?? Aston Villa have certainly gone massively backwards since Ellis took over in 1980 and they were currently European Champions, wouldn't you agree with these facts ? ...and when exactly under the NUFC board pre-1992 that you think is the same as this one even finish in the top 5 never mind get anywhere near the top 2 ?

Meanwhile, we have transformed the stadium and built a new up to date training complex. Do you think this is the actions of a club not planning for the future and "going backwards" ..... and similar to the shite board that you think is the same that ran the club from the 1950's up until 1992 ?