Crouch in january

Guest toonarmy1810

I think Crouch is a good player but a pretty woeful goalscorer. Wouldn't suprise me if Shola has a better record.

Now if we go gung-ho with Crouch in the middle of a front three with Owen & Martins then I might listen.  :cool:

Dalglish got a lot of joy second half of the 96-7 season when he played all 3 of Asprilla, Shearer & Ferdinand, so could work.

Crouch isn't good enough. For being almost 7 foot tall he doesnt score nearly enough headers imo. I'd keep the money and go for Ashton either now or at the end of the season. Crouch would cost what about 7-8 million? Could get another striker in Jan, not a bank breaker then go for Ashton in the summer whe hopefully West Ham are being relegated or not doing so well. A front 4 of Ashton/Owen/Martins/Ameobi would be pretty damn good.

CROUCH'S ROED OUT OF ANFIELD

NEWCASTLE will offer Peter Crouch an escape route if his frustrating time at Liverpool continues.

United boss Roeder believes Crouch would be perfect with the pace of Obi Martins and Michael Owen.

But Roeder added: "I'm sure Rafael Benitez is very happy with him and I don't know if we'll even close to bringing him here."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=crouch-s-roed-out-of-anfield%26method=full%26objectid=18337704%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

I'd prefer Ashton as well  - just think the chances of us signing him are slim-to-none with Curbishley and West Ham's new owners around. He'd certainly set us back over the £12m mark and is arguably less proven than Crouch at this point in time, while coming off a severe injury to boot.

As for Darren Bent, I still maintain that he's too similar a player to what we already have to be bought now. Might be a better bet to wait for Charlton to go down before making our move, and again I'm fairly sure he'd cost more than £10m.

Not sure if waiting until summer is a great idea, also, as we still have 3 competitions on the go.

I probably would be delighted with any of the three, though, hypothetically.

I dont understand some people saying they wouldnt be happy with Crouch, hes a regular for England and scores regularly for England, given a run in the Liverpool squad im sure he would score 20 a season. At Newcastle he has the height our wingers are crying out for, the only problem would be Owen or Martins would have a different playing style, they like through balls, while Crouch prefers long balls. Im pretty sure he would be good here, with Luque gone id be delighted with Crouch, £7million is a good tag, especially when Luque was £10million

Crouch has been scoring regularly for England in crappy friendlies where we batter some out of sorts team. In the World Cup he was rubbish.

He's done better at Liverpool than I thought he would, but I still don't think he's that good. For Crouch to score takes quite a lot of work from the rest of the side IMO, you sacrifice a lot as you have to play a different kind of game.

He'd improve us simply because he's better than Sibierski and Ameobi. But there are plenty other tall fuckers out there who can hold the ball up and score the odd goal, Sibierski is proof of that. For £7m - £10m I think we could do much better.

I dont understand some people saying they wouldnt be happy with Crouch, hes a regular for England and scores regularly for England, given a run in the Liverpool squad im sure he would score 20 a season. At Newcastle he has the height our wingers are crying out for, the only problem would be Owen or Martins would have a different playing style, they like through balls, while Crouch prefers long balls. Im pretty sure he would be good here, with Luque gone id be delighted with Crouch, £7million is a good tag, especially when Luque was £10million

He's started 39 and made 13 sub league appearances for Liverpool, and still not scored regularly. Anything but. And who cares how he does for England? Again, half of those goals were against the likes of Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and a poor Greece team. Although as I pointed out with a front 3, if we went the Bolton route and mimicked their Diouf-Davies-Anelka front 3 with Martins-Crouch-Owen, it might work. But I don't see us, and wouldn't like us changing formation just to accommodate him.

Currently one of the top scorers in this seasons champions league.

The lad is massivley under-rated, and under appreciated, by unevolved knobheads who can't see past his appearance.

bluelaugh.gif  haha crouch for 12mill. you've got to be shitting me! for anyone who watched the bolton game you could see that our strikers didn't have service. and service is honestly the only way that crouch survives in a match.  if we're not on top of our opponents then i would be a better asset than crouch, i would at least be able to chase some players down and maybe hurt a lad or two.

dear glenn,

you had better be thinking the same thing i am.  crouch for 12 mill when my shit turns sparkly purple and smells of blueberries!

I don't get believe that its a given he's off this Jan. Liverpool don't have to sell him as they're still in the Champs league so unless they intend to get someone in who isn't cup-tied and decent (Villa?), they'd be left with just Kuyt & Bellamy as their main strikers with Fowler (scouse Pav tbh) as back up. They're no nearer to winning the league so the champs league is probably their main focus for this season, and for that one reason alone i'd wager that they'll keep/need him until at least the summer when all the major shuffling occurs.

And (to cover me arse) if he does go in Jan, it'll be double figures as it's going to be a sellers market for anything half decent.

Currently one of the top scorers in this seasons champions league.

The lad is massivley under-rated, and under appreciated, by unevolved knobheads who can't see past his appearance.

Shame we're not in the CL then isn't it, btw Fernando Morientes is the joint top scorer in the competition and he didn't score many in the Premiership either.

The main problem with Crouch is that he lacks both pace and movement, which means you need to play it straight to him otherwise he's not going to get onto the end of it, I wouldn't be happy if we paid £7 million for him let alone £12 million.

Guest eyeball_tickler

LIVERPOOL will sell striker Peter Crouch to Newcastle for £12million —- but insist they need a replacement first.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder wants the England star to boost his injury-hit strike force.

Kop chiefs now admit they are ready to let their 6ft 7in hitman go — but have warned they first need to land long-term target David Villa from Spaniards Valencia for £22m.

And if that bid fails, Kop boss Rafa Benitez will need to look elsewhere for a replacement.

Crouch, 25, only signed from Southampton in a £7m deal 18 months ago but it is understood he would be prepared to sign for Newcastle.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006600311,00.html