Crouch in january

Guest toonarmy1810

The best buy would be Beattie imo (Premiership proven)....Would be quite cheap..And when in form he scores quite a few. He's tall and strong. I believe that a club change for him would be really good. I do believe he could do well here with some more creative players with pace around him.  And owen is coming back as well..

There are better players out there, but we need to build a team/squad

Instead of putting £10m+ on Bent invest the money in a LB and RB. And if money available put it on a good CB (if there even is that kind of money of buing bent for 10)

Beattie is proven to be shit imo.

The best buy would be Beattie imo (Premiership proven)....Would be quite cheap..And when in form he scores quite a few. He's tall and strong. I believe that a club change for him would be really good. I do believe he could do well here with some more creative players with pace around him.  And owen is coming back as well..

There are better players out there, but we need to build a team/squad

Instead of putting £10m+ on Bent invest the money in a LB and RB. And if money available put it on a good CB (if there even is that kind of money of buing bent for 10)

Beattie is proven to be shit imo.

I would rather have him or another cheap striker and use the rest of the money to build a good team/squad to begin with. Then after the summer having a look at it which strikers too keep and which to get rid of of...

I would rather have two good fullbacks instead of a expensive striker..That would be the best deal for the club at this moment i think.

Two good fullbacks would be better for our team than one expensive striker and poor fullbacks (yes i know solano has done really well)

It's hard to find fair prices on players in the middle of a season, ESPECIALLY strikers..

Roeder on Red alert for Crouch

Dec 12 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are keeping tabs on Liverpool's England beanpole striker Peter Crouch.

And while they accept it is going to be difficult to prise the 6ft 7ins striker away from Anfield, no-one knows just how the £450m takeover of Liverpool by the mega-rich Dubai International Capital Group is going to affect the red half of Merseyside.

United were actually alerted to the fact that Crouch (pictured) was not going to be an automatic choice in Rafael Benitez's side when they were beaten by Liverpool at Anfield in September.

And, sure enough, Liverpool have a three-into-two-won't-go situation with 25-year-old Crouch, United's summer target Dirk Kuyt and former Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy vying for the two front roles.

All United boss Glenn Roeder would say on the subject today was: "I am an admirer of the way Peter Crouch plays and the fact that he also scores goals."

Meanwhile, United were linked with a £2m move for Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka over the weekend.

But while they were desperate to sign the Aussie international forward at the end of the August transfer deadline - and the player was just as desperate to come to St James' Park - this interest is now dead.

With the January transfer window just 19 days away, Roeder knows that United are going to be linked with a host a players, and last weekend was no exception.

Middlesbrough's former United defender Jonathan Woodgate was mentioned, as was another of United's August transfer targets, Fulham's England international defender Zat Knight.

This follows hard on the heels of reports in the last couple of weeks that United were hoping to bring another of their former defenders, Sylvain Distin, back to St James' Park.

However, Roeder said simply today: "I am not interested in bringing Jonathan Woodgate, Sylvain Distin or Zat Knight to Newcastle United."

As in the case of Knight and Viduka, United made a last-gasp effort to bring Blackburn defender Lucas Neill to St James' Park in the last 48 hours of the August transfer window.

But at Ewood Park on Saturday, Neill blotted his copybook with a poor performance against United in general and Charles N'Zogbia in particular, and Newcastle will not compete with Liverpool for the Aussie defender at the turn of the year.

Meanwhile, Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is convinced he and attacking partner Andriy Shevchenko can be a hit.

The Ukrainian has struggled for form since his £30.8m move to west London from AC Milan in the summer, and was substituted in the Blues' 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Sunday. But Ivory Coast striker Drogba, who in contrast has banged in 14 goals this season, added: "He needs to adapt to the way the team plays and to the league.

"That is not the most easy thing to do. But it is going well, he makes them for me to score and I make them for him to score."

Chelsea's draw with Arsenal leaves them eight points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United, a gap they can cut to five if they beat Newcastle at Stamford Bridge tomorrow night.

Cant say im keen.

Wouldnt turn the signing down, but i think we can do better for that kind of money. Plus im pretty sure Liverpool wont sell him.

We know he can work with Owen, likewise surely with Martins. He can hold up the ball very well, is reasonable in the air and would certainly be close to the type of player we need.

He doesnt really have the power, strength and heart I think we need.

But he would bring us something, im just not sure what...

wes brown would be welcome addition. he has been inconsistent at manU but a change of scenery and slightly less pressure to perform b/c the lack of depth we have/no champions league or premier ambition would benefit his confidence.  i'm absolutely baffled that glen says he has no interest in distin!! what the hank is that about...he must have some magic trick up his cuffed sleeve.

as for the striker situation....shit i dont know

crouch nahhhh please no, if we could lure viduka away from borough for the last 2 or so years of quality he has left would be a quality signing.  as long as it's not another LUQUE!!!!

count your eggs that we didn't invest any money on saviola, or tavano in the summer, would have been a waste

If we actually needed a new, long-term striker, and Bent was going for £7m, i'd be creaming. Guarantee of goals, simple as.

But we don't need a new long-term striker. We need a stop-gap in January, then Owen and Shola will be back and we'll have a cracking striking squad.

Owen

Martins

Shola

Sibierski

Viduka/Beattie/Davies/whoever we get in Jan

Are you serious ? Shola is now considered part of "CRACKING STRIKER TEAM" !!!! Owen is injury prone and Martins is not better either, if any of these 2 gets injured for lengthy spell then we are fu*ked again...

We need a 3rd main striker so as to push Owen and Martins and challenge them for their place and also when injuries happen we will be in a better position to cope with the situation...

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the general thinking between fans? Is this talk shite or do you think there is some foundation.

Ive heard reports that Benitez is lining up a bid for David Villa and will launch a £25m bid (dont shoot the messenger)

Personally, I think Crouch will be contempt at his position at Liverpool at the moment, He will probably wait unitil the summer before deciding his future. Also, if we have a reported £10m to spend this January, how much will Crouch cost!? considering that we are keeping close tabs on Upson and the two youngsters from Southampton and Derby! These two lads have been given high price tags by their clubs.

I hate to be overly optimistic, really I do, but I genuinely believe that at this exact point in time a prospective (and fit!) forward squad of Owen, Martins and Crouch is potentially as good as anything else in the league when you have a look around. When Larsson goes to Man Utd they look fairly formidable and Arsenal obviously have Henry, while Chelsea have Drogba and Shevchenko and Liverpool will be left with Kuyt, Fowler and Bellamy - until Crouch is replaced.

Maybe I'm mental, but on paper and not taking Owen's injuries into account then a pool including the three aforementioned as well as Dyer, Ameobi and Sibierski gives us a mass of options in the striking positions. In an ideal world we'd soon see Ameobi and Sibierski replaced by another quality striker (hopefully one with a bit of youth about him), but for where we are right now then I think the Beanpole could be a fantastic addition.

Aye, he's a freakshow and he hasn't scored enough goals for Liverpool, but he's one hell of an option to have in certain games where things aren't quite going our way. I can see why we'd be interested, but I'm not sure whether he'd fancy it because surely he won't be getting picked ahead of Owen/Martins if they're ever fit together. He's proven he can do it at the top level in a shoddy Southampton team and put into a direct, attacking lineup (which is what we are and have been/aiming to be since the Keegan days - width, crosses and goals) I think he could thrive again.

Obviously I wouldn't break the bank for him, but the bloke's an England international and is only going to get better, anything less than £7m would be great business. We're crying out for some aerial presence of some description (although I'm not advocating we play route one football), but that would be my worry: if Crouch comes does it automatically keep us on the same arsey lines of whacking it up front at every given opportunity?

I hate to be overly optimistic, really I do, but I genuinely believe that at this exact point in time a prospective (and fit!) forward squad of Owen, Martins and Crouch is potentially as good as anything else in the league when you have a look around. When Larsson goes to Man Utd they look fairly formidable and Arsenal obviously have Henry, while Chelsea have Drogba and Shevchenko and Liverpool will be left with Kuyt, Fowler and Bellamy - until Crouch is replaced.

Maybe I'm mental, but on paper and not taking Owen's injuries into account then a pool including the three aforementioned as well as Dyer, Ameobi and Sibierski gives us a mass of options in the striking positions. In an ideal world we'd soon see Ameobi and Sibierski replaced by another quality striker (hopefully one with a bit of youth about him), but for where we are right now then I think the Beanpole could be a fantastic addition.

Completely agree with this :thup:

Remember how well worked Shearer-Bellamy striking force!

Shearer was good in the air and Bellamy had the pace

Now its the same with Crouch and Martins(Owen)

Aye, he's a freakshow and he hasn't scored enough goals for Liverpool, but he's one hell of an option to have in certain games where things aren't quite going our way. I can see why we'd be interested, but I'm not sure whether he'd fancy it because surely he won't be getting picked ahead of Owen/Martins if they're ever fit together. He's proven he can do it at the top level in a shoddy Southampton team and put into a direct, attacking lineup (which is what we are and have been/aiming to be since the Keegan days - width, crosses and goals) I think he could thrive again.

Obviously I wouldn't break the bank for him, but the bloke's an England international and is only going to get better, anything less than £7m would be great business. We're crying out for some aerial presence of some description (although I'm not advocating we play route one football), but that would be my worry: if Crouch comes does it automatically keep us on the same arsey lines of whacking it up front at every given opportunity?

He hasn't proven he can do it in the Premiership at all. He was sh*t at Villa, was 3rd choice striker in a team that got relegated for half a season (behind Phillips & Beattie) until Beattie left. Yeah he had a good second half of a season that year, but you can say the same about Ricketts, Harewood, etc. And at Liverpool, he's scored just 10 in 40 odd Premiership games (in which 36 were starts).