What would happen if Gateshead were promoted to the Football League

Would love to see it happen. Given the size of Tyneside I'm sure they could draw a pretty decent support aslong as their home games were scheduled for when Newcastle are away. The exposure would bring in many more people. I'm sure of it.

It'd be tough to balance Toon/Heed/Scum, if Heed get more fans, police wise. Toon Scum already alternate home/away, not sure what would happen with a third team in the mix, probably Monday Night home games for someone.

I thought about this but surely Northumbria Police should be able to cope with the Scum and Gateshead playing on the same day? If not then they could draft in officers from Cleveland Police or somewhere.

They wouldn't come up here to police... Not enough processed chicken and cheese baked food stuffs to maintain their calorie intake

I think their lack of being able to pull in crowds is the problem - same for Blyth really. Non-league teams in the NE are geographically isolated from the rest of the country, which brings rise to a couple of problems. The ability to attract better players and also greater costs when travelling to away games.

I think their lack of being able to pull in crowds is the problem - same for Blyth really. Non-league teams in the NE are geographically isolated from the rest of the country, which brings rise to a couple of problems. The ability to attract better players and also greater costs when travelling to away games.

i know a few,myself included, that would be temptrd to go if they played at a proper football ground and not some place that would have the atmosphere of the moon even when full.

i know a few,myself included, that would be temptrd to go if they played at a proper football ground and not some place that would have the atmosphere of the moon even when full.

If it was a reasonable price I totally agree.

Could Sunlun and Heed not just play same day considering Newcastle is a skipping distance from Gateshead, and more toon fans would probably watch Gateshead

This is what would probably happen I guess, although their ground will hold about 9000, I think realistically they'd get between 2=5000 depending on the opposition. Would there actually be that much of a police presence? I've been to Hartlepool once or twice and they don't have a huge police presence

Football should not be played at athletics stadiums. Period. It doesn't matter where they are or who is playing. It's just not right. Are you listening Rotherham!!

Football should not be played at athletics stadiums. Period. It doesn't matter where they are or who is playing. It's just not right. Are you listening Rotherham!!

Brighton anarl, their ground grinds my gears.

Rotherham's old owners fault that. They have a perfectly good ground they can't use because he was being a dick about something or other.

Guest neesy111

they would get decent crowd's if nufc we're not playing on that day, would be a great achievement if they got into the football league

they're going professional for first time in 50 years, and they've got a very good chairman (despite being a mackem)

Gateshead have applied for planning permission for a new ground and had some design drawn up

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/2475/gateshead-fc-unveil-new-stadium-site

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/content/Image/stadium/GFC_New_Stadium_1.jpg

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/content/Image/stadium/GFC_New_Stadium_2.jpg

9,000 capacity with 2,000 seats. capable of going allseaster with a capacity of 6,000.

There's definitely a cap on their prospects due to the fact pretty much all Gateshead 'fans' would primarily be toon or sunderland fans.  I'd go and see them occasionally if I was back living in the area and wasn't at toon game, maybe more often if I was in Gateshead.

It's funny how we want them to do well because they're rubbish, but if they were good we'd despise them.

I'm from Gateshead too, my uncle was a season ticket holder for about 30 years, and I used to go to games when I was at school.

Ironically, Newcastle's lack of success (meaning tickets are available and cheaper) actually harms Gateshead more than if they were doing really well.

The new stadium plans look great though (and realistic, unlike Darlo's mental building). I'd definitely go to a few games when the new ground's open. I think the North East catchment area is big enough to support a team that offers 'real football' for decent prices.

Guest Phil K

At least you spelt the notoriously difficult to spell League wrong in the title to save your grace.

Why the hysteria from some of you ? (FFS indeed - but not how the person saying it meant it)

It WAS League 3 once, you know. It may be next season for all you know !

It was the 4th Div before that. Its not going to be that again in a hurry though.

As for Gateshead - attendances increase with level playing at, when they were in the old 4th, they didn't have great attendances to start with to be honest.

I think the old SOUTH SHIELDS League 4 team moved there. even Durham City were in the Football League once.

The design of the stadium has slightly changed from those pictures, the main stand will now be on Prince Consort Road.

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/content/Image/stadium/New_Stadium_1.jpg

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/content/Image/stadium/New_Stadium_2.jpg

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/content/Image/stadium/New_Stadium_3.jpg

There's an article here on how the club plans to finance it and run it - Gateshead FC Website

Guest thenorthumbrian

I'm from Gateshead too, my uncle was a season ticket holder for about 30 years, and I used to go to games when I was at school.

Ironically, Newcastle's lack of success (meaning tickets are available and cheaper) actually harms Gateshead more than if they were doing really well.

The new stadium plans look great though (and realistic, unlike Darlo's mental building). I'd definitely go to a few games when the new ground's open. I think the North East catchment area is big enough to support a team that offers 'real football' for decent prices.

At least they've been realistic  - unlike the Reynolds arena.

And the new Gateshead FC stadium will have office accommodation built into the stands which can be leased out to help with the finance of the club.

I never thought that Darlo would be playing a derby V Gateshead on equal terms.   

Gateshead were only kicked out of the football league in 1960 by southern teams because they didn't like travelling this far north to play games (before automatic promotion) to be replaced by Peterborough.