Hughton: Carroll could be the new Crouch

Thespence

He has about 6 or 7 goals with his feet this season, he's proved nowt but it's something he badly needs to work on.

I wouldnt say it was something he 'badly needs to work on'. Its not like if he doesnt practice his shooting in training over the summer and puts some extra curricular shooting in as well that he's going to stop being a good footballer and the rest of his future is doomed.

He doesnt get too many chances with his feet, we put crosses in for him, so he scores headers. He is inexperienced in front of goal, his thinking time and decisions aren't like Rooneys, Torres etc. But look at Defoe, he only started scoring in the last couple of years.

He's a good prospect, a very good header of the ball, competent with the ball at his feet (he may not carry the ball as far as Jonas but he still looks like he has it under control at least) decent touch and learning well.

I don't get your disdain with Carroll.

He has about 6 or 7 goals with his feet this season, he's proved nowt but it's something he badly needs to work on.

I wouldnt say it was something he 'badly needs to work on'. Its not like if he doesnt practice his shooting in training over the summer and puts some extra curricular shooting in as well that he's going to stop being a good footballer and the rest of his future is doomed.

He doesnt get too many chances with his feet, we put crosses in for him, so he scores headers. He is inexperienced in front of goal, his thinking time and decisions aren't like Rooneys, Torres etc. But look at Defoe, he only started scoring in the last couple of years.

He's a good prospect, a very good header of the ball, competent with the ball at his feet (he may not carry the ball as far as Jonas but he still looks like he has it under control at least) decent touch and learning well.

once he's made his mind up....thats it.

once he's made his mind up....thats it.

I wish I could ignore it but it gets my back up every time.

The lads been put in the Championship team of the year in his first full season....apologies, half a season!

He is a mainstay of the England U21's, Stuart Pearce is a huge fan, he is wanted by Prem clubs and Levein for, just scored 19 goals..... Please stop me if Im wrong.

Such a bad example man, sorry. :lol:

Defoe only started scoring in the last couple of years? :lol:

Of course it's something Carroll badly needs to work on, he's a striker.

Defoe was notorious for not scoring enough goals, not taking his chances, swinging his feet at the ball..... Then he got a run of games in a good team and showed his ability. He was always a good prospect but he hasn't been considered a finished article until the last couple of years, and he's 27!

I know he needs to shoot to be a striker, but its not as if he has a ticking clock against him.... just relax. If he has it he'll be good if he doesn't he wont, he doesn't need people on forums he needs to be working on his shooting....its not like he's going to listen even if it would help, Im sure he must have been advised against growing corn-rows...

I'm sure if you watched a video of 'Jermain Defoe 04-08 at Spurs' you'd agree more.

Or dig out forum posts on defoe in 05/06.... much the same I would bet.

Defoe was notorious for not scoring enough goals, not taking his chances, swinging his feet at the ball..... Then he got a run of games in a good team and showed his ability. He was always a good prospect but he hasn't been considered a finished article until the last couple of years, and he's 27!

I know he needs to shoot to be a striker, but its not as if he has a ticking clock against him.... just relax. If he has it he'll be good if he doesn't he wont, he doesn't need people on forums he needs to be working on his shooting....its not like he's going to listen even if it would help, Im sure he must have been advised against growing corn-rows...

All I said was is shooting is a weakness and needs to be worked on. :lol:

I'm sure if you watched a video of 'Jermain Defoe 04-08 at Spurs' you'd agree more.

No he wouldn't.

I'm with you on Carroll to an extent, I just think Defoe's a terrible example. He's doubtless scored a lot more goals than he has on average this year but looking at his Wiki he's got 24 this season. He got 22 with Spurs in 04-05 (when he was 23?) He's always been a goalscorer with a decent return and 168 goals in 393 career appearances doesn't really support the idea that he's just came into goalscoring form this season.

As for Carroll I had my doubts before Christmas, but you can see that he's improving all the time. He's only 21 but if he comes on at the same rate that he has this year then he's got a lot of potential. Even more so given the lack of strikers in his mould in today's game.

No he wouldn't.

Haha.

Surely you must agree... Jermain Defoe was criticised for his inconsistency, wild shooting, not scoring enough, being quick and getting into positions and not taking them after showing promise.... Pretty much the same arguement you are putting forward for Carroll, but they are different players with different abilities. Thats all I'm saying, and look at him now, considered a quality goal scorer and that hasn't been the case for very long!

I just dont think we should be hounding a 21 year old for weaknesses in his abilities.

No he wouldn't.

Haha.

Surely you must agree... Jermain Defoe was criticised for his inconsistency, wild shooting, not scoring enough, being quick and getting into positions and not taking them after showing promise.... Pretty much the same arguement you are putting forward for Carroll, but they are different players with different abilities. Thats all I'm saying, and look at him now, considered a quality goal scorer and that hasn't been the case for very long!

I just dont think we should be hounding a 21 year old for weaknesses in his abilities.

I wasn't hounding anybody.

Defore scored over 100 goals between 2003 and 2008 according to espn, it's a poor example.

No he wouldn't.

Haha.

Yes but there was most probably similar craic about Francis Jeffers at one point or another, and look at him now.

Not having a go at all like but if your point is that young players sometimes get a lot better when they're older then I hardly think that needs to be said.

Carroll has made dramatic strides this season - if he maintains his improvement at shielding the ball and getting more savvy in the box for half chances he is going to be one of the best CFs in the UK.

There are very few currently playing that have his strength - he is going to be MUCH stronger than Crouch who is a lanky player - and not many CDs are going to enjoy playing against him. He is getting more like the young Duncan Ferguson all the time and he was a major threat to any defence. Even the Germans were terrorised by him in one of his early internationals.

However, as with most things, there is a BUT...in this case, it is whether he improves as a person and keeps out of trouble ; also, whether his feet can be kept on the ground so he continues to work at his game. This is where the manager comes in, but in the end, its down to the player.

If he does the business next season - and many will be watching to see if he does - he will be the target of most top clubs.

In fact, in terms of simply heading a ball (I'm not talking about movement, intelligence, skill, touch, etc), just heading the ball, I don't think there's many better in the country.

I don't think there's any better. The best current comparison is Carew, but I wouldn't put him in a different class.

Carroll has the ability to get clean headers on goal, even when closely marked and under physical pressure. That could be a very important weapon to have.

Inevitably, with a player of that physique, his movement around the pitch is going to be a bit cumbersome. He's not going to get on the end of many chances if we're breaking swiftly out of defence, for instance. It's a matter of accepting the package he's offering.

Where Crouch is better is as a target man not just down to his height, he is great with his back to goal and that is where Carroll will have to improve, I get the feeling we will play a lot of away games with him and Nolan up top.

I think he has came on leaps and bounds this season and will be a big player for us next season.  but sadly some people on here have time for us to develop players, they think they should be the finished article.

Where Crouch is better is as a target man not just down to his height, he is great with his back to goal and that is where Carroll will have to improve, I get the feeling we will play a lot of away games with him and Nolan up top.

Sensible post.

Guest toonlass

I think this year will have done Carroll's confidence a load of good. He has scored goals consistantly, and I think he can make the step up to the next level. Yes he has work that he has to do on his game, but he is still young and will improve.

Mmmm long ball.