José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I believe Mourinho is a little over-rated tactically but he got yesterday spot-on. More than a few times at Madrid he looked like he had been sussed. I still think his teams struggle against others that are equally as athletic and his last couple teams are overly reliant on counter-attacks.

The big difference for me yesterday was the gulf in quality between Matic/Mikel and Fernandinho/Demichelis

I agree he has won many things, a CL twice and league titles in 4 different leagues but you've got to call a spade a spade. What's the difference between the Mata and Ben Arfa situation? How come their top assister and 2nd top scorer in the league last season couldn't get a game under Mourihno?

Excellent post.

He's basically replaced Mata with someone physically far superior but technically inferior. A Sissoko.

Jose Mourinho is a superb manager but he has his weaknesses. Stylistically he likes his teams bigger, stronger and faster than his opponents... and he's shown he'll scarifice a little skill and technique because of that.

HOWEVER I do think the Mata thing is partially personal. Ozil has no engine and he was a mainstay. Although I reckon he believes you need that extra guile in La Liga while in the prem you can bash teams over with strength and power.

In how many of the games did Chelsea miss Mata like?

Shite question. Our best results this season have come without HBA and we are better this season than last where HBA played whenever fit.

And they could've done with Mata against Wham. I do think Chelsea will struggle to break teams down that come to defend.

People are very quick to abuse me on here, you would think I have insulted their family.

Yes, I mean the difference between the players highlighted. Demichelis was awful. Doesn't have the legs to cover the defence well, weak in the challenge and slowed down the pace of attacks. Yaya had to get the ball off his toes too many times. In comparison Fernandinho can do his own and 50% of Yaya's defensive work and he's much quicker and sharper on the ball than Demichelis. The same is true of Mikel/Lampard/Essien compared to Matic but in reverse. Chelsea looked so much stronger and quicker in the middle than City and it was largely down to that difference.

Surely Rodwell is  better than Demichelis in midfield?

Wait a f***ing minute.  Ozil has no engine? You serious?

Errrr.. yes. Ozil's fairly quick but he's a poor athlete. His stamina is clearly lacking.

Physically and work-rate wise he's no better than Mata. I do think Mou values athleticism and work rate more in the PL as his Madrid side included Cronaldo and Ozil who had little defensive responsibility.

Playing Demichelis in CM in the Premier League is basically suicidal. Absolutely awful selection. He can barely cope at CB.

That's a bit OTT. He's a classy CB.

From what I saw from him in Spain aye. But he's looked shaky in the PL so far. He hasn't had enough games to get up to speed and he's not getting any better physically.

Wait a f***ing minute.  Ozil has no engine? You serious?

Errrr.. yes. Ozil's fairly quick but he's a poor athlete. His stamina is clearly lacking.

Physically and work-rate wise he's no better than Mata. I do think Mou values athleticism and work rate more in the PL as his Madrid side included Cronaldo and Ozil who had little defensive responsibility.

Alright, agree with that then. But like what you say, it is probably personal problems instead of tactical. Mata's case actually reminds me Casillas.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tactically Mourinho is as good as it gets, he is a genius in that respect. However, he doesn't really need to win most games tactically, his players are so tough mentally and so dynamic the opposition often just run out of steam or ideas, as City did last night. He for me is a great coach, a great manager, a master tactician and in football he is rare in that he guarantees trophies, wherever he goes. I reckon he would even win a trophy here, that's how good he is.

That said, his football philosophy isn't my cup of tea, its not exciting or aesthetic, its very similar to how the old Italian and German national sides played. which is strange given he was number 2 to Sir Bobby and van Gaal, two attack minded managers with an emphasis on exciting the crowd and playing good attacking footy.

His success can't be argued though or denied, it must be great to play for him.

RE Mata, I reckon he went into Chelsea, targeted their two time successive player of the year and deliberately dropped him as if to say I'm Jose, I'm the boss, I can do what the fuck I like and still win games. Having the likes of Oscar and Hazard helps being able to make such decisions of course as does the ability to bring in Matic for x millions, but its the kind of thing Mourinho will do.

Tactically Mourinho is as good as it gets, he is a genius in that respect. However, he doesn't really need to win most games tactically, his players are so tough mentally and so dynamic the opposition often just run out of steam or ideas, as City did last night. He for me is a great coach, a great manager, a master tactician and in football he is rare in that he guarantees trophies, wherever he goes. I reckon he would even win a trophy here, that's how good he is.

That said, his football philosophy isn't my cup of tea, its not exciting or aesthetic, its very similar to how the old Italian and German national sides played. which is strange given he was number 2 to Sir Bobby and van Gaal, two attack minded managers with an emphasis on exciting the crowd and playing good attacking footy.

His success can't be argued though or denied, it must be great to play for him.

RE Mata, I reckon he went into Chelsea, targeted their two time successive player of the year and deliberately dropped him as if to say I'm Jose, I'm the boss, I can do what the f*** I like and still win games. Having the likes of Oscar and Hazard helps being able to make such decisions of course as does the ability to bring in Matic for x millions, but its the kind of thing Mourinho will do.

Agree with the first bit, but the second is that Mata does not fit into a mourinho style team. Mou likes very fast counter attacking forwards and a powerful/fast striker backed with some stoic midfielders and marauding wing backs. Mata is much more elaborative in his play and likes to take his time which is the anti-system to Mourinhos.

I love the guy, all his ridiculous bullshilt he comes out with to divert the attention and his circus antics, really makes for good entertainment. Whilst his teams impress me they aren't normally great on the eye...

He's not as good as it gets tactically though.  Barcelona had lost their edge before he started beating them with Madrid. Rafa Benitez bested him several times in 2 legged affairs with an inferior side. Not once did he outclass his opposition tactically in his Madrid CL semi finals.

He has a great approach to management which is great at getting the best out of individual players over the course of a season.  He also makes quick decisions for substitutes which helps.  But purely tactically? He has a default approach based on organisation, athleticism and counter attacking.

He's not inept by any means in that area. But it's not his greatest strengths and there are better out there.