José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think his record speaks for itself. League titles in 4 different countries. The things he says in the press are mind-games to give an edge, and more often than not, they work.

Jose Mourinho "a plague on football" :lol:

boring football despite basically huge resources at every club except Porto, repeatedly guilty of being a complete bastard and saying some very nasty stuff. Yet the morons in the English press repeatedly laud him for it and his horrible football and clap for more.

Guardiola only lost against Mourinho once.... and that happened in Guardiola's final season when he decided to leave and kept using that god awful 3-4-3 with Alves in a back 3 :lol: well twice if you include the extra time cup win.

When i said Clasico after Clasico i meant all competitions.... not just La Liga, he usually got the better of him in those cup, CL games and league games.

People will say he had Messi etc etc blah blah.... but go back and watch those games it was Guardiola's ideas, tactical adjustments and subs which meant he hardly lost.

Not a coincidence that the following season without him Mourinho won practically every Clasico.... including one with a reserve team and no Ronaldo :lol:

Guardiola only lost against Mourinho once....

I remember Guardiola's last season at Barca when Real won against Barca 3-1 (?).

I also remember Jose knocking out Guardiola's Barcelona in the CL with Inter.

That's already twice (without including that extra time win btw). Get your facts right.

Edit: Just checked. It was 2-1 what I meant

Guardiola only lost against Mourinho once....

I remember Guardiola's last season at Barca when Real won against Barca 3-1 (?).

I also remember Jose knocking out Guardiola's Barcelona in the CL with Inter.

That's already twice (without including that extra time win btw). Get your facts right.

That was his once.... ( i did say twice if you include the extra time defeat) and we are talking about Barca vs Madrid we all know about Inter.... change the subject if you wish to suit your needs though.

Even if you wanted to include Inter that season Inter faced Barca 4 times and only beat them once.... the one that mattered but if you really want to go there.

That wasn't the point and you know it.... Guardiola consistently got the better of him in H2H games to avoid any confusion it took him until a month before Guardiola's resignation to beat him in 90 mins with Madrid.

Something like half a billion spent and something like 15 games to figure it out but he finally did it, congratulations to him.

Some of the vitriol Mourinho came out with in the press towards Guardiola and his Barcelona team whilst at Real Madrid has absolutely no place in football iyam.

He also eye gouged Tito Vilanova iirc

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/20/jose-mourinho-emotion-manchester-united-chelsea

José Mourinho is all about emotion – and United would have loved that

The memory that will linger in the mind was of turning to the next table, where José Mourinho was sitting beside his wife, Matilde, and their perfectly turned out and brilliantly named children, José and Matilde, and the sudden realisation that he was actually wiping tears from his eyes.

Frank Lampard had just delivered a speech that was so powerful and emotive that Louis van Gaal, this giant bear of a manager, could also be seen dabbing at his eyes on the top table, blowing out his cheeks and saying he had never heard anything quite like it in almost 50 years in the sport.

Van Gaal spoke beautifully, too, at Sunday night's event recounting his first meeting with Mourinho in one of Barcelona's finer restaurants, having taken Sir Bobby Robson's job at Camp Nou, and being struck by the audacity of this smallish Portuguese guy - shouting, creating a scene, remonstrating with the club's president, Josep Lluís Núñez, for his treatment of Robson despite the presence of the new manager. That was the moment Van Gaal, struck by this outpouring of passion and loyalty, realised he had just found the ideal assistant, by complete accident.

That man, he said, was now the outstanding manager in the business and, if you know what Van Gaal thinks of himself, that is some statement. "I am always the 'arrogant Louis van Gaal' but now I am humble," he said. "Now, he is better than me." A video montage was played, with tributes from past and present players, colleagues and rivals. The last time we saw Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo together it was that photograph of them standing in a corridor of the Bernabéu like two strangers, avoiding eye contact and barely on speaking terms after the disintegration of their relationship. Now Ronaldo was on the screen acclaiming Mourinho. Sir Alex Ferguson was next. There was old footage of Robson and tributes from John Terry, Wesley Sneijder, Didier Drogba and many others. "I'm in trouble," Mourinho said. "Big trouble." His voice was cracking with emotion as he started his own speech, and it was rare to see the Chelsea manager so humble, the family man rather than the football man.

That the Football Writers' Association (FWA) put on this tribute dinner will probably just confirm many people's suspicions that there are members of this industry who are in thrall of Mourinho. Another argument could be made – indeed Mourinho made the point himself – that there was not one writer present who had not heavily criticised him at one stage or another.

Either way, it is worth pointing out the FWA hold this event annually, with previous recipients including Ferguson, Arsène Wenger, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs, Thierry Henry, Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker. Paul Scholes is another, which probably shows that it is about the great and good of football, rather than someone who just generates decent copy.

Maybe in time David Moyes will be the subject of this kind of event as well. As it is, the guests at the northern FWA dinner can probably still recollect the horrendous awkwardness when the compere asked everyone to rise to their feet to mark his "courage" taking the Old Trafford job. The day before, United had conceded an 89th-minute equaliser at home to Southampton. In their previous home game they had lost to West Bromwich Albion. It was a sympathy vote – a well-meaning one, but a sympathy vote nonetheless.

Three months on, the worry lines on Moyes's face stand out like contours on a map. The defeat at Stamford Bridge on Sunday was United's seventh in 22 league fixtures, leaving them 18 points worse off than at this stage last season. There is a 35-point turnaround with Arsenal over the same period, 20 with Manchester City, 26 with Chelsea, 30 with Liverpool, 21 with Spurs and 22 with Everton.

Mourinho, in his thank-you speech, reflected on his 100th Premier League victory and talked about being "never nervous, enjoying every moment". Straight after the match, before whizzing across town to The Savoy, he had killed United with compliments in the press conference. Mourinho talked about Moyes in the same friendly tone with which Ferguson eventually came to speak of Wenger: respectful, bordering on patronising, and with the overwhelming sense that there is no point picking a fight with someone who doesn't particularly matter to him right now. For the team in seventh position, a point above Newcastle, it is unfamiliar territory. A club with United's ambitions want to be under Mourinho's skin, bringing out that spiky, competitive streak, not listening to him saying he is more concerned about Everton and Spurs.

Moyes has stopped enjoying press conferences and will not be giving one before the second leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final against Sunderland on Wednesday, where United trail 2-1 from the first tie. "If this was another club, if it was at Man City, or Chelsea, or a few others, this would be a crisis, wouldn't it?" he was asked on Sunday. Moyes would not budge an inch. "That's your word, not mine."

Around the same time, Ferguson was making his way across the Stamford Bridge pitch with two of the other directors, Sir Bobby Charlton, and Joel Glazer, shaking Roman Abramovich's hand on the way and ending up in the tunnel outside the dressing rooms. A Belgian television journalist with access to that area reported Ferguson going inside. United say it was only Charlton who had that privilege and, for Moyes's sake, it has to stay that way. Ferguson, despite all the old urges, cannot be dragged into trying to help out when doing so would mean undermining the new man.

For now, however, there is no apology to be made for asking again whether United were right to allow Ferguson to handpick his replacement when Mourinho, the "trophy machine" to use a line from the commentator Martin Tyler, was available and making it crystal clear that he quite fancied the idea of taking over what Moyes has taken to calling the "project".

Lampard talked about someone who could "make the hairs on your arms stand up" during his team-talks and who single-handedly "drags every individual up a level," shaking his head with mild disbelief as he cited Eden Hazard's sudden enthusiasm for chasing the opposition's right-back. He thought back to Chelsea winning the European Cup under Roberto Di Matteo and made the point that the ethics of that team had started with Mourinho. "I might be biased, because I love the man, but he does it instantly. He brings instant success."

More than that, Lampard talked about the death of his mother, Pat, and how Mourinho, then at Internazionale, had helped him through it. "As soon as I hit a bad time, he rang me every day. Every single day. He is the most loyal, the most caring manager I have ever worked with." Lampard gave the impression he would run through a plate-glass window for Mourinho. And, again, the same thought came to mind: they would have adored this man at Old Trafford.

Passing over Mourinho looks to be the biggest mistake Man U have made, and the Moyes appointment looks more and more like a stitch-up from Fergie. I'm sure Fergie had good intentions, but this is the reason you don't appoint your mates to take your job.

Guest Howaythetoon

What good would hiring Mourinho do? He'd dismantle the team in his own image and leave after 2 years necessitating another minor rebuilt. He's not someone you invest in long term.

Its a legitimate POV but it surely has to boil down to what is the most important thing and surely that's trophies. Mourinho guarantees them. Yes he creates a circus and isn't about the long-term, but in football you're always a good manager away from success. Hiring Moyes will mean no circus and a bit of stability, but what if they fail to win things? It will have all been in vain, only this time they will be further behind the times.

Guest Howaythetoon

If they invest in a few new players they won't fail under Moyes.

They won't win the league or CL under Moyes because he simply isn't capable of managing a team to play the kind of football or game required to win it. He's a better version of Pardew. He worries about conceding and losing more than scoring and winning. He sets his teams up to not lose, to work hard, nick a win etc. He favours hard working players than flair players. Furthermore h lacks the character to manager them. He doesn't have the strength of mind, strength of conviction etc. I mean, he is an average manager to be fair.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa Benitez won the CL. Great boss but he's about as negative as they come. It's wrong to suggest a manager who sets a team up not to lose is incapable of going far in the CL, provided he has the platform.

I wouldn't say he is a negative manager, he is very tactical though and as a result one off cup games or two legged affairs are right up his street hence his success in cups. Moyes is tactically inept.

If they invest in a few new players they won't fail under Moyes.

They won't win the league or CL under Moyes because he simply isn't capable of managing a team to play the kind of football or game required to win it. He's a better version of Pardew. He worries about conceding and losing more than scoring and winning. He sets his teams up to not lose, to work hard, nick a win etc. He favours hard working players than flair players. Furthermore h lacks the character to manager them. He doesn't have the strength of mind, strength of conviction etc. I mean, he is an average manager to be fair.

100% :thup: