José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He’s an asshole but I still can’t help but admire the guy. One of the greatest managers ever.

Hope he takes some time off, finds a bit of humility, and comes roaring back with some less-heralded European club.

One of the greatest managers ever??.....absolute bullshit

Wherever he has been hes been handed open chequebooks to buy whoever he wants to buy, he then goes on to destroy certain players morale and confidence. He never lasts more than 3 years at a club as he gets found out and cant deal with dressing rooms

He never brings on youth or academy players as he cant work with them

To say hes one of the greatest managers ever is absolute nonsense they guy is an absolute self obsessed egotistical cunt...he is done with top clubs and will never get a top job again

• He won league league titles in four different countries
  • He won the Champions League with two different sides, one of which was a huge underdog.
  • He won the treble with Inter Milan.
  • 8 league titles, 8 domestic cup trophies, 4 major European trophies.

His style is no longer effective but if that haul doesn't qualify you as one of the greatest ever I'm not sure what does. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He’s an asshole but I still can’t help but admire the guy. One of the greatest managers ever.

Hope he takes some time off, finds a bit of humility, and comes roaring back with some less-heralded European club.

One of the greatest managers ever??.....absolute bullshit

Wherever he has been hes been handed open chequebooks to buy whoever he wants to buy, he then goes on to destroy certain players morale and confidence. He never lasts more than 3 years at a club as he gets found out and cant deal with dressing rooms

He never brings on youth or academy players as he cant work with them

To say hes one of the greatest managers ever is absolute nonsense they guy is an absolute self obsessed egotistical cunt...he is done with top clubs and will never get a top job again

• He won league league titles in four different countries
  • He won the Champions League with two different sides, one of which was a huge underdog.
  • He won the treble with Inter Milan.
  • 8 league titles, 8 domestic cup trophies, 4 major European trophies.

His style is no longer effective but if that haul doesn't qualify you as one of the greatest ever I'm not sure what does. :lol:

All of those that have won more presumably.

GD's post is OTT, but I think Mourinho's lack of longevity both overall and at each individual club takes him out of the GOAT discussion. Undoubtedly a trailblazer though. I think everyone's just a bit fucking exhausted with his bullshit now, possibly him included.

Aye he's had a great run. And if he can adjust he can continue. He's been one of the greatest ever.

If he wants to do club management he may have to go to a secondary tier type top European club. But even lots of those want good football. I'm thinking PSG, Dortmund and Napoli but even they have managers that usually play good football.

Think Perez still likes Jose. And nearly all the super anti-Mourinho brigade have left Real Madrid in terms of players. It would just be Ramos and Marcelo left from the main adversaries. And for better and worse, it's no coincidence Real Madrid have had their most successful period in the 5/6 years after he left. He brought Real back up to the very top of European football, competing in semi finals year in year out when they didn't do that for 6/7 years prior. While he provided the foundations of their success it needed someone else to take it to the next level. Less dour managers.

At his peak, his style worked at clubs that had the cash. That is undeniable. The game has changed, but he hasn't and now that there are much better managers who also have the transfer budgets, he's been found wanting, hence the sackings.

Good manager in his peak who did well given the circumstances - yes.  He was the right man at the right place at the right time.

Great manager? I think the last few years have massively tarnished the 'Great One' rep he'd built up and make it hard to say he was truly great.

He really needs some time away from the game - he seems a bit of a busted flush at the minute.

At his peak, his style worked at clubs that had the cash. That is undeniable. The game has changed, but he hasn't and now that there are much better managers who also have the transfer budgets, he's been found wanting, hence the sackings.

Good manager in his peak who did well given the circumstances - yes.  He was the right man at the right place at the right time.

Great manager? I think the last few years have massively tarnished the 'Great One' rep he'd built up and make it hard to say he was truly great.

He really needs some time away from the game - he seems a bit of a busted flush at the minute.

"Good" managers don't win 8 league titles in 4 countries man. He wasn't a flash in the pan, he's had what - 10/15 years at the very top of the game. Rafa's a GREAT manager and he had maybe 10 years at the very top.

It's also very difficult to get the very best players to perform the way you want. That's why Klopp and Simeone haven't joined superclubs imo. Their style suits less glamorous players. They couldn't manage Cristiano Ronaldo.

Wenger? Won plenty with not much cash.

Never won the Champions League. Had a competitive team for 10 years. 1 final. The same amount of league titles in the PL as Jose. Again, Arsene was a great manager but wouldn't put him above Jose. I think Jose wins the league or CL with a couple Arsenal sides between 05-15 imo. Jose was a better manager than Jose for at least a decade. Let's not pretend.

Wenger? Won plenty with not much cash.

Never won the Champions League. Had a competitive team for 10 years. 1 final. The same amount of league titles in the PL as Jose. Again, Arsene was a great manager but wouldn't put him above Jose. I think Jose wins the league or CL with a couple Arsenal sides between 05-15 imo. Jose was a better manager than Jose for at least a decade. Let's not pretend.

Two Jose's? No wonder he was good. No need for an assistant.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd probably go

Last 10/15 years

Guardiola, Mourinho, Zidane, Klopp, Simeone etc

Last 20/25 years

Ferguson, Ancelotti, Trapatoni, Lippi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Van Gaal etc

He does need a rest like. I'm intrigued if he had a good 6 months off, if that would help him re-cover his zest.

I love his achievement with Porto, UEFA Cup in 2002/03 and then Champs League 2003/04 - that was hugely impressive with that team.

He does need a rest like. I'm intrigued if he had a good 6 months off, if that would help him re-cover his zest.

I love his achievement with Porto, UEFA Cup in 2002/03 and then Champs League 2003/04 - that was hugely impressive with that team.

He had 5-6 months off before joining us. He's just done at the top level unless he changes his philosphy.

Klopp a man that has lost 7 cup finals in a row over Jose? Madness.

Short memories. Porto winning the UEFA Cup and Champions League in consecutive years is a bigger achievement than anything Klopp or Simeone have achieved. It's only behind Leicester and Greece in European football upsets in the last 20 years. And it's arguably the least "flukey" of the 3.

How can people try and say Leicester winning the league was flukey at all? :lol: There's 38 fucking games.

Flukey's the wrong word. It wasn't flukey at all. It just had the perfect set of circumstances to come to fruition. Like I think Rafa's best Liverpool side that finished 2nd that year would've won that league title in the Leicester year.

The point was moreso, that Porto side was legitimately a top side for those couple seasons under Jose. Even though they had their fair share of luck. Jose proved he could do similar and put together similar teams for the following decade (with nice big budgets).It wasn't a set of circumstances perfectly executed in a season or moment. But a methodology that would be successful for the next 12 years or so.

Who are you responding to? Genuine question before you kick off.

Whoever said Klopp has been a better manager in the last 15 years.

People ho are saying hes one of the greatest managers ever need to remember

He has been sacked from every club hes been to bar 1

I think that prevents him being discussed as the greatest ever imo. because his achievements puts him right up there. At one point he was trending towards "the greatest ever" but not anymore. Guardiola is still on that path.

There was a 12 year period where a top club hired Jose Mourinho, any league, he would win you the league within 2 seasons. And you would go deep into the CL. That was the task at Real, Inter and Chelsea. Good managers like Pellegrini and Emery failed to do so when tasked with similar jobs.

Rafa's won less in his career and I reckon he's top 10 in the last 10/15 years. So Jose has got to be top 5.

Guest firetotheworks

Who are you responding to? Genuine question before you kick off.

Whoever said Klopp has been a better manager in the last 15 years.

I meant specifically who, but never mind.