Michael Chopra blows £15k in two hours at the bookies

Tooj

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/800913/Soccer-ace-Michael-Chopra-blows-15k-in-two-hours-at-the-bookies.html

SOCCER star Michael Chopra blew an astonishing £15,000 in a TWO-HOUR losing streak betting on horses at the bookies.

Punters looked on in amazement as gambling addict Chopra peeled fistfuls of notes from a huge wad in his pocket to back a succession of losing nags.

Then the striker with Championship high-fliers Cardiff City began to lose it himself when horse after horse failed to come in.

One customer in the bookies said: "By the end of it he was getting really moody and cursing and swearing. He was banging his hand on a table and tearing up his slips. I don't blame him. I'd be gutted myself." Chopra, 26, went to the Cardiff bookies last Friday with team-mate Mark Kennedy. Their team has just won a place in the play-offs to decide the third team to be promoted to the Premier League.

The striker went into rehab two years ago - after the failure of his marriage to model Heather Swan - to try to beat his gambling addiction. But he seemed back in its grip last week. The punter added: "He was betting thousands and thousands on every race.

"He was only going back to the counter to put on more cash, not collect any winnings. He must have gone through £15,000 - if not more."

On the bright side Chopra can afford it. He's said to earn £20,000 a week.

This really gets on my nerves these stories painting the guy like some criminal so what its his money he can do what he wants with it...i didnt get my story in the news of the world when i blew 1000 at kempton in 3 hours

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wasn't it this that led to him falling out with Roy Keane/losing his place at Sunderland for a few months?

I'd be looking to get him banned from Cardiff's bookies if I was Dave Jones.

I doubt it's Cardiff's bookies that are the problem, he seems to be back in Toon every chance he gets.

NOTW in 'c*** acts like a c***' shocker.

Most seem to think he's a decent lad. :undecided:

For some reason I assume all footballers are cunts. Probably shouldn't really.

You can't just go assuming people are cunts because applying that label saves you having to think for yourself, man.

For some reason I assume all footballers are c***s. Probably shouldn't really.

You can't just go assuming people are c***s because applying that label saves you having to think for yourself, man.

He spent £15k in two hours ergo he's a cunt.

This really gets on my nerves these stories painting the guy like some criminal so what its his money he can do what he wants with it...i didnt get my story in the news of the world when i blew 1000 at kempton in 3 hours

he can probably afford too

I understand your point but gambling addiction is a very dangerous thing. No matter how much money you have. Having managed betting shops for 5 years I can tell you countless stories of people who have ruined their lives because they didn't know when to stop. I also know there is very little you can say to someone who has a gambling problem to make them stop. If Chopra wants to keep betting he will, no matter what measures Dave Jones tries to put in place.

For some reason I assume all footballers are c***s. Probably shouldn't really.

You can't just go assuming people are c***s because applying that label saves you having to think for yourself, man.

He spent £15k in two hours ergo he's a cunt.

He's rich. He has a gambling addiction. Not sure that makes him a cunt.

Guest Phil K

Silly lad.

Shouldn't they get some kind of guidance what to do with money rather than just shove loads of money towards them and walk away ?

A footballer isn't usually very bright to start with.

Gambling is seriously addictive, if I had that cash i would probably be doing the same. Except I'd be in Las Vegas. And I'd be smashed.

15k isn't that much to lose for a footballer, in context with normal people's gambling. My brother works in a bookie's and sees ordinary people come in and lose their whole pay packet every month.

• 1 year later...