Club statement

Magpie

sooooooooo beckford anyone?

It's time to stop mentioning him, the fact he wasn't even considered for the League one team of the season speaks volumes. He isn't premier league standard and never will be.

I understand that people think the statement is 'negative'. But where does it day we are not going to sign any further players?  I think that ashley and co have realised that it is better to under promise and over deliver rathe than over promise (as past boards have), raise expectations and then fall flat on our faces ( ie become a laughing stock). Get past the initial tone of statement and, as stated before, I really think it is a message more to agents and the media that we will not pay stupid prices for players.

btw, The above theory is based on the last transfer window so we will see if this theory is correct in a couple of months time. At this stage I say very smart statement. 

I've advocated not buying anyone in summer.  It's not about the disappointment of not spending money as far as I'm concerned.  I never expected us to spend ANYTHING given the experience of the last three years.  Anyone who did was very naive.

But that statement is an utter shambles from start to finish with no positives whatsoever. You can tell the media who to talk to when they contact the club.  you can tell agents we aren't buying when they contact the club too.  This is another in a long line of retarded statements that make the whole club look retarded.

I understand that people think the statement is 'negative'. But where does it day we are not going to sign any further players?  I think that ashley and co have realised that it is better to under promise and over deliver rathe than over promise (as past boards have), raise expectations and then fall flat on our faces ( ie become a laughing stock). Get past the initial tone of statement and, as stated before, I really think it is a message more to agents and the media that we will not pay stupid prices for players.

btw, The above theory is based on the last transfer window so we will see if this theory is correct in a couple of months time. At this stage I say very smart statement. 

I've advocated not buying anyone in summer.  It's not about the disappointment of not spending money as far as I'm concerned.  I never expected us to spend ANYTHING given the experience of the last three years.  Anyone who did was very naive.

But that statement is an utter shambles from start to finish with no positives whatsoever. You can tell the media who to talk to when they contact the club.  you can tell agents we aren't buying when they contact the club too.  This is another in a long line of retarded statements that make the whole club look retarded.

Did you say this before January?

Yes.

http://nufc-ashlies.blogspot.com/2010/01/following-on-from-this-recent-post.html

Bizarre, written by the same person who wrote the 'it is a fact' press release and who clearly shouldn't have anything to do with releasing statements.

For what it's worth I think it's just badly written resulting in a garbled message. I still expect to see two or three new players arriving and a few million spent in the process.

Depressing state which wasn't really needed. They have no idea when to speak and when to just shut the f*** up. We NEED to spend a bit of cash this summer. I can understand being careful, but I can't believe he hasn't seemed to have learned from the last relegation season.

Another thing, how the f*** is Llambais still in a job? I can't think of anything he has done or which has been good. He constantly puts his foot in it. Surely Ashley can find someone better for the job.

:facepalm:

Please explain how money spent is a barometer of success - specifically taking into account the fortunes of Leeds (2003 - onwards), NUFC (2005 - 2008) and Liverpool (2009/10).

If you think we'll stay in the league without spending anything, your in for a shock. To say we NEED to spend is a perfectly fair and valid point. Nobody's saying spending automatically constitutes to success, however it will go along way to determining weather we stay up or not.

Yes.

http://nufc-ashlies.blogspot.com/2010/01/following-on-from-this-recent-post.html

Routledge, Simpson, Williamson...

Let's be honest, it wasn't out of the realms of possibility that we'd spend a couple of million this summer, especially after we did in January.  It's a bit much to call people naive for thinking that we might have.

Yes.

Let's be honest, it wasn't out of the realms of possibility that we'd spend a couple of million this summer, especially after we did in January.  It's a bit much to call people naive for thinking that we might have.

There seems to be a lot of people in this thread saying the news from the statement is not anything we didn't already know.

Maybe, we're all especially cynical.

"truly represent the values of the Geordie nation"

Has to be one of the cringe worthy things they've ever said.  :facepalm:

They're taking the piss man.

It's a response to "Cockney Mafia".

They have nowt but contempt for their customers.

Do any other clubs 'break even' and run with no debt? No, because it's impossible, in all walks of life, to survive comfortably without some form of manageable debt. Why Ashley can't get this into his head I don't know.

Yes.

There seems to be a lot of people in this thread saying the news from the statement is not anything we didn't already know.

You said you didn't expect to spend any money in the summer and anyone who did was naive, due to what happened in the last three years.  

We SPENT money in January, why is it unreasonable to think we'd spend a little amount in the summer.  If you didn't think we'd spend money in  January then fair enough, but you were wrong and now you're saying others are naive despite the fact that we SPENT money in the last window?

I'm not defending Ashley before anyone jumps on that, I just resent people calling our fans naive, especially when its not true.

Guest firetotheworks

15 pages, so I'm sure its been posted before. But this is the definition.

'Funds used to acquire a long-term asset. A capital expenditure results in depreciation deductions over the life of the acquired asset. Also called  capital outlay.'

Aye, that clears that up then eh.  :cheesy:

Like I said in January after we signed Routledge, Simpson ect, Hughton was obviously given a choice by Ashley and Llambias "Spend money on new players now, or in the summer" and he took the option of spending money in January. This statement has not come as a shock to me, there was no chance that Ashley was prepared to spend money in January and in the summer too.

Guest neesy111

like i said to scott wilson from the northern echo which he agreed with on twitter, not doing due diligence is totally 100% his fault and he deserves to taking all the blame i.e. ashley (fat cockney cunt)

Yes.

You said you didn't expect to spend any money in the summer and anyone who did was naive, due to what happened in the last three years.  

We SPENT money in January, why is it unreasonable to think we'd spend a little amount in the summer.  If you didn't think we'd spend money in  January then fair enough, but you were wrong and now you're saying others are naive despite the fact that we SPENT money in the last window?

I'm not defending Ashley before anyone jumps on that, I just resent people calling our fans naive, especially when its not true.

Honestly, the pedantry around here is incredible.

Over 3 years at the club he's £20m in profit on transfers.  He spent £3m in January, I was surprised (and delighted) to be proved completely wrong, he seemed to have learned investment was required to guarantee Premier League football. In no way did that suggest to me it was the start of bigger things to come though or that he'd go the next step in the summer.  I've said all along, Ashley is following the WBA model.  Yo-Yo.

I never called our fans naive.  Most people I speak to never thought he'd be spending much.

15 pages, so I'm sure its been posted before. But this is the definition.

'Funds used to acquire a long-term asset. A capital expenditure results in depreciation deductions over the life of the acquired asset. Also called  capital outlay.'

Aye, that clears that up then eh.  :cheesy:

So all it's saying is we won't be buying any players on the provie like Owen or Luque.

Does no capital outlay also mean there will be no investment in the academy player wise?  Even the likes of Vuckic, Adjei etc. cost money.  If Ashley thinks he can build a PL team from just players from the North East he's in for a shock.   :rolleyes:

Probably been mentioned before as well...but what about our first five year plan?  We've made a few additions to the academy but its hardly been a complete makeover and it still seems like its jobs for the boys rather than bringing in the worlds best like Liverpool have done (bringing in Barcelona's youth team coaches).  It's just a complete mess.

Good positive statement.

Let the manager and players deal with getting results on the pitch, invest in the academy, and see the club stabilised and ready to move forward within a reasonable time frame.

:thup:

bluelaugh.gif

You're a card.

Ah, come on. Can you in all good conscience say that there are no positives in the statement. ???

Chin up like, fat Ash will be wanting the club to do well and this may turn out to be a genius move by the board. A masterstroke of confusion.

O0

Like I said in January after we signed Routledge, Simpson ect, Hughton was obviously given a choice by Ashley and Llambias "Spend money on new players now, or in the summer" and he took the option of spending money in January.

What a load of cobblers.

Yes.

Honestly, the pedantry around here is incredible.

Over 3 years at the club he's £20m in profit on transfers.  He spent £3m in January, I was surprised (and delighted) to be proved completely wrong, he seemed to have learned investment was required to guarantee Premier League football. In no way did that suggest to me it was the start of bigger things to come though or that he'd go the next step in the summer.  I've said all along, Ashley is following the WBA model.  Yo-Yo.

I never called our fans naive.  Most people I speak to never thought he'd be spending much.

So basically, to sum up,

- You said we wouldn't spend anything this summer because of what happened in the last three years.

- These three years include January 2010, when we spent money on players (also the most recent window).

- You think anyone who thinks we'd spend money this summer is naive because of the last three years.

No pedantry, just showing that it's a bit much to call our fans naive (as a lot expected at least some money in summer, especially after January).

Like I said in January after we signed Routledge, Simpson ect, Hughton was obviously given a choice by Ashley and Llambias "Spend money on new players now, or in the summer" and he took the option of spending money in January.

What a load of cobblers.

Going off the statement released yesterday, it looks that way, too.  :rolleyes: