Club statement

Magpie

Surely if we dont have any transfer expenditure, we will end the year in profit?    Thus making the 'breakeven by 2015' redundant.

unless they mean 'break even' to mean 'all the debt paid off to ashley'

If thats what needs to happen, then we will have to do our best.

Surely they can see it would weaken our chances selling our better players, who are already happy and settled.

I'm sure we will have a modest amount for spending. I'd be shocked and angry if we saw anyone but fringe players moved on.

Was there any point to this other than to piss off fans who might be feeling just a little bit good about their club for the first time since these gimps (sorry gimp) took over?

Didn't they have a 5 year plan in the first place anyway?

Guest malandro

Don't we get a payout of around 50-60m from sky  for being promoted? Isn't that to help towards player purchases?

:facepalm:

Check it out

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641314775

'Can' be worth 'UP TO' that ammount. sky haven't gave the club the money and thats based on crowds going up (which ours may do slightly) extra sponsorship (ours is already sorted) etc. than finsishing high up to get better money which we probably wont.

Ok this is for the coming season and doesn't include sponsorships but still it is a tidy sum. The question is why can't we use it on new players.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-nets-16314bn-tv-rights-bonanza-1925462.html

i'd say why can't we use some of it on new players. to spend it all on new players would be to forget that the club has been running on a debt for years and at some point it will need to be paid back.

Which is what I’ve been slagged off for saying for some time.

Ok, lets say getting in the Premiership is worth 60m of TV money, the club last season had a debt of what?, £37.7 m. So assuming our operating costs don't go up, and bearing in mind some players have left, Butt, pancrate, Hall, and others at a lower level which will free up money for the wages of new players, this gives the club a total of £22.2m, though I'm not counting whatever we got as parachute payments, but we can assume £60m because of the new overseas deals aswell.

Now lets also add on the fact that we now have money from the Puma, and Northern Rock deals which we haven't had since before Owen signed, thats added revenue. Now lets also remember that the price of sponsorship around the ground will go up because of us going up a level. Now also consider not all of our advertising space was taken around the ground this season, which as a Premier League club next season would could easily be full.

This all mounts up, so I'm pretty sure that the club will have an increase of revenue beyond £22.2m, and if we are to assume that Ashley won't dip into his pockets for cash for players and he won't go and ask for loans either then we can assume that their is quite a decent level of money free, though I admit not all of that will be spent on players.

Guest neesy111

Ok, lets say getting in the Premiership is worth 60m of TV money

Why would we say that?

60M  :facepalm:

Why would we say that?

Because apparently we get presented with a maassive cheque at the start of every season from Sky for 60m.

Ok, lets say getting in the Premiership is worth 60m of TV money, the club last season had a debt of what?, £37.7 m. So assuming our operating costs don't go up, and bearing in mind some players have left, Butt, pancrate, Hall, and others at a lower level which will free up money for the wages of new players, this gives the club a total of £22.2m, though I'm not counting whatever we got as parachute payments, but we can assume £60m because of the new overseas deals aswell.

Now lets also add on the fact that we now have money from the Puma, and Northern Rock deals which we haven't had since before Owen signed, thats added revenue. Now lets also remember that the price of sponsorship around the ground will go up because of us going up a level. Now also consider not all of our advertising space was taken around the ground this season, which as a Premier League club next season would could easily be full.

This all mounts up, so I'm pretty sure that the club will have an increase of revenue beyond £22.2m, and if we are to assume that Ashley won't dip into his pockets for cash for players and he won't go and ask for loans either then we can assume that their is quite a decent level of money free, though I admit not all of that will be spent on players.

the club ran up a debt in the last accounts of that much (30 odd million)....then there was the year before and the one before that and the one before that..........

Was having a good day until I read the statement! As .com have commented, it's bizarre but in keeping with how the club has been ran over the last few years. Transparency is mentioned, but it seems the club is battening down the hatches and gonna work with a closed shop mentality where we (the fans) will get to know nothing (what's new there!) and will have to rely on the spurious media reports.

What's worrying is that the club isn't going to seem to spend any money in the summer so it's going to be a slog of a season with an inevitable relegation battle. So it begs the question - where is the s/t money going to go this summer, where is the TV/sponsorship money going to go? It'll be used to offset losses, but I also suspect that Ashley now wants to take back what he has loaned the club over the last year or so. Of course this is fair enough, but to risk it against a lack of investment in the side and another possible relegation (and becoming a yo-yo club) is just baffling.

The statement is hardly going to encourage season ticket sales and I for one would be holding fire with my cash until later in the summer (to see what happens), had I been able to afford one. In many ways, this has put a real dampener on a good season and does it's best to remove any hope that fans had for next. Mr Ashley sure does like to play a dangerous game.

In Stifler's defence, that post would have been perfectly reasonable had he not just pulled some £60m figure from his arse to start it off with. :lol:

It's well know that the TV revenue is worth around £60m, hench why the CCC play off final is the richest game in football.

Guest neesy111

In Stifler's defence, that post would have been perfectly reasonable had he not just pulled some £60m figure from his arse to start it off with. :lol:

It's well know that the TV revenue is worth around £60m, hench why the CCC play off final is the richest game in football.

No that's how much you get if you win the premiership

you get 30M for finishing last

Guest malandro

I find it terribly hard to believe we will be at only £5million less of a loss next season compared to this one.

And so you should. If we sell to buy the club should be making a profit of about £20m in 10/11.

No that's how much you get if you win the premiership

you get 30M for finishing last

so whats the problem. all we have to do is win the damn thing.

Why would we say that?

So, (just out of interest)

How much will each Club be entitled to before a ball is kicked.

Am I right in thinking that you get £800k more for every position you finish above bottom? (on top of entitled amount?)

Overseas rights are to be paid monthly to every Club at £1.7m per month?

How much does every live TV appearance bring in?

And finally, the new deal also brings in 4 year parachute payments of £20m per season for relegated Clubs as of the new TV deal coming into effect?

I'm likely miles out on quoted figures, if so, what are they?

Guest malandro

Why would we say that?

Am I right in thinking that you get £800k more for every position you finish above bottom? (on top of entitled amount?)

And finally, the new deal also brings in 4 year parachute payments of £20m per season for relegated Clubs as of the new TV deal coming into effect?

For the last time. Lambias (when he was harping out about how Ashley was our saviour) said that relegation had cost us £50m, a combination of TV money and reduced commercial activities. Since we finished in the bottom three it’s reasonable to assume going back up will boost the coffers by at least £50m.

Why would we say that?

For the last time. Lambias (when he was harping out about how Ashley was our saviour) said that relegation had cost us £50m, a combination of TV money and reduced commercial activities. Since we finished in the bottom three it’s reasonable to assume going back up will boost the coffers by at least £50m.

ahh i see so we choose to believe him when it fits our purpose.

I don't think it means that there will be no spend on players. I think it means that there will be no new money being put in specifically to fund player purchases. The word "basis", however, implies that the squad as it stands will be augmented, presumably paid for out of whatever can be freed up from income generated.

Was anyone expecting a big spending spree anyway? I wasn't.

Fuck knows why they can't produce a better statement, free of such ambiguities. As a professional in the field of corporate communications, it pains me to see them put out such crap.

Not read through much of the thread so don't know if it's been mentioned; but it makes you wonder why they disintegrated the core of the scouting system. I wonder if they'll pick it up again; they'd fucking better have.

They really did think we'd be safe and sound last season (08/09), didn't they. :nope: Shearer says drop the scouts. He'll keep us up and we'll get him on a permanent contract, bit of money to spend maybe. But no, we went down and now we ain't got a pot to piss in.

Just shows how a good season really hasn't glossed over the monstrous errors they've made in their time here.