Sell before we buy - but who to sell?

Dave

There are some very decent loan and free signings we could make, no need to sell a load of players really.

Are there? Even if there is, that alone wont be sufficient to keep us in the league.

Birmingham finished 9th(?) with Stephen Carr as a first choice RB.  I agree it's going to be a massive struggle but with a bit of luck the squad we've got now plus a couple of frees and loans we could still realistically finish 17th.

Guest The Enforcer

No point in selling Krul now with only a year left on his contract. He's expressed a desire to stay, he'll be much more valuable in a few years under a new contract.

Not that I want to sell him at all, of course.

There are some very decent loan and free signings we could make, no need to sell a load of players really.

Are there? Even if there is, that alone wont be sufficient to keep us in the league.

Birmingham finished 9th(?) with Stephen Carr as a first choice RB.  I agree it's going to be a massive struggle but with a bit of luck the squad we've got now plus a couple of frees and loans we could still realistically finish 17th.

Stephen Carr has been class for Birmingham this season, they also spent around 16M this season and thats before fee's for the loans of the likes of Hart, Chucho, Vignal and Tainio. If we spend 16M If we spend anywhere near 16M I'll be massively shocked.

I spoke to John Beresford when I saw him in Dubai some months ago, he said you cant rule out investors coming in for the club, theres a possibility of a new owner, as unrealistic as it sounds.

I dont see it happening in this financial state at the moment tho and the club isnt even for sale anyway, with the current squad , they are close and the team spirit is high, some quality freebies and loans and we could manage to survive, remember, we only have to be better than 3 other teams, its not impossible, as long as we dont completly dismantle our squad.

Stephen Carr has been class for Birmingham this season, they also spent around 16M this season and thats before fee's for the loans of the likes of Hart, Chucho, Vignal and Tainio. If we spend 16M If we spend anywhere near 16M I'll be massively shocked.

Carr may have been class (never watched them really) but that's my point, hopefully Simpson can be class for us.  Carr was **** when he left us 4(?) years ago.  I checked before and they spent £5m on Johnson and £1.5m on Ferguson and that was it (excluding sales as well).  Our squad is better than Birmingham's championship squad as well IMO, so as I say, I don't think its unreasonable to think we'll finish 17th.

It's a matter of guessing which players may be a bit over-rated by other clubs, and where we could actually spend the incoming fee on a player who's either better or who plays in a position that needs strengthening.

My main over-ratees - Colo, Steven Taylor, Enrique.

I'd be loath to lose Carroll and Jonas, but they may go for big money and may have to be sacrificed.

Guest je85

It doesn't matter. If this is how the club is going to be run it just shows Ashley has learned nothing.

It shows the opposite, doesn't it? The throwing money at expensive players on the assumption that they'll keep you in the league obviously didn't work, this seems a more stable route.

If we're not signing anyone, we must make sure that we keep the few players that are able to compete on this level. New players, proven in the PL, will not come cheap.

I'd sell Best, R. Taylor, Shola (not going to happen) and Smith. That could give us about £5m. Buy a striker for the money.

It doesn't matter. If this is how the club is going to be run it just shows Ashley has learned nothing.

It shows the opposite, doesn't it? The throwing money at expensive players on the assumption that they'll keep you in the league obviously didn't work, this seems a more stable route.

Going to the other extreme isn't likely to work either. We don't need daft money thrown around but some sensible investment to safeguard our premier survival should have been pursued.

Carr may have been class (never watched them really) but that's my point, hopefully Simpson can be class for us.  Carr was **** when he left us 4(?) years ago.  I checked before and they spent £5m on Johnson and £1.5m on Ferguson and that was it (excluding sales as well).  Our squad is better than Birmingham's championship squad as well IMO, so as I say, I don't think its unreasonable to think we'll finish 17th.

Dann came in too.

Add Dann; 4m, Gardner; 3.5M and Michel 3M and thats where I got the around 16M from. Of course it's not unreasonable to say we'll finish 17th but you can forgive me and many others for fearing the worst if we spend next to nowt.

I must be wrong about the money spent.  My point still stands though.  I reckon our team now is still better than Birmingham's after those signings, on paper at least.  As for Hull's team that stayed up in 2008/09, that has to be one of the worst in PL history and much worse than ours now.

Add Dann; 4m, Gardner; 3.5M and Michel 3M and thats where I got the around 16M from. Of course it's not unreasonable to say we'll finish 17th but you can forgive me and many others for fearing the worst if we spend next to nowt.

Agreed.  :thup:  I was just playing devil's advocate really.

Guest BooBoo

Krul would be a sensible sale as he'd fetch us a few quid and unfortunately we really can't offer both him and Forster a long term playing career. If it came to a choice, I'd keep Forster.

Not that I agree with the reaction to the club statement, but just for fun:

S. Taylor (£8m), Best (£1m), Smith (£3m), R. Taylor (£2m), Xisco (£1m if we're lucky). Theres £15m to play with!

I spoke to John Beresford when I saw him in Dubai some months ago, he said you cant rule out investors coming in for the club, theres a possibility of a new owner, as unrealistic as it sounds.

I dont see it happening in this financial state at the moment tho and the club isnt even for sale anyway, with the current squad , they are close and the team spirit is high, some quality freebies and loans and we could manage to survive, remember, we only have to be better than 3 other teams, its not impossible, as long as we dont completly dismantle our squad.

I have absolutely no idea why John Beresford would know.

Smith

Best

Raylor

Ameobi,

As far as i am concerned losing these we only need to bring in 1 midfielder and 1 pacy striker. Should get £5m for the players listed. On this point i think it is important to use younger players to cover positions, i cant see any point of bringing in Best or Pancrate, who are no better than average, instead of developing Ranger and LuaLua.