The German Steve McClaren

Guest Geordiesned

Guest Geordiesned

According to George Caulkin on twitter he's signed a 2 year contract to be the new Wolfsberg manager. I can't wait to hear his German accent!

Guest elbee909

According to George Caulkin on twitter he's signed a 2 year contract to be the new Wolfsberg manager. I can't wait to hear his German accent!

I fully expect him to grow a Hitler moustache and goose-step into any TV interviews.

Guest elbee909

snell snell snell, obafemi zieg heil!!!!

Oh, for a re-subbed Downfall vid when you need one.

I fully expect him to grow a Hitler moustache and goose-step into any TV interviews.

:lol:

He'll probably just rehash his Dutch accent by making it a bit more aggressive; 'for sure Zees iz a football clube!'

Fair play to him tbh.

could've stayed in the comfort zone in the Dutch league but taking on a more difficult challenge in a tougher league.Certainly earns more respect from me. It's a pity other British managers and players don't have the balls or get out of their comfort zone and try their luck abroad.  :thup:

Guest Reyrolle

"British managers and players don't have the balls or get out of their comfort zone and try their luck abroad"

hear hear.  British coaches moan about being denied the top jobs (Redknapp, Fat Sam to name two) but wont take their particular brand of football abroad.  Hope McClaren is a success.

hear hear.  British coaches moan about being denied the top jobs (Redknapp, Fat Sam to name two) but wont take their particular brand of football abroad. 

Fat Sam would get hounded out of any European club he tried his hoof-it tactics, whereas no chairman in the world outside of Real Madrid could afford Redknapp's mammoth bankrupcy-inducing spendathons that he needs in order to obtain modest success.

"British managers and players don't have the balls or get out of their comfort zone and try their luck abroad"

hear hear.  British coaches moan about being denied the top jobs (Redknapp, Fat Sam to name two) but wont take their particular brand of football abroad.  Hope McClaren is a success.

The reason i think they don't go abroad is because they don't get offered to. Big Sam mentioned a few times in his period where he was out of work, that he would love to work abroad especially spain.

Good on him. I hope he is a success.

I was a big critic of his time with England, as were many people, but I think he was the wrong man for the job at the time as he really wasn't ready for that sort of role. As a result he was always on to a loser but I do believe he was let down by the poor performance of the players in that qualification period. You can't always lay the blame at the foot of the gaffer, even though his selections and tactics certainly didn't help. And getting El Tel in to assist, bad call from day one there, but not entirely his fault and he seems to be restoring his reputation abroad.

Interesting move for him. Would've thought he'd goto HSV if he moved to Germany. Especially with Wolfsburg liable to lose their best player (Dzeko) over the summer.

Guest Phil K

hear hear.  British coaches moan about being denied the top jobs (Redknapp, Fat Sam to name two) but wont take their particular brand of football abroad. 

Fat Sam would get hounded out of any European club he tried his hoof-it tactics, whereas no chairman in the world outside of Real Madrid could afford Redknapp's mammoth bankrupcy-inducing spendathons that he needs in order to obtain modest success.

Applaud this post.

Saying what Ive been thinking for long enough

If Redknapp hadn't been at a Lahnden club, he'd have been pilloried for "buying success" "only fourth ?" and his 2nd hand car salesmen financial record and tax record - the 2 million for his success got a strangely heated reaction from him didn't it ? He seemed to be saying "Where did you get that you b*stards ? I'ts supposed to be secret" but it came out the safer "Thats disgraceful" If it wasn't true he'd have laughed. The reaction is because he'd no doubt been thinking he wouldn't have to pay tax if he could keep it secret.

But if he HAD of come to Newcastle, and did what he did, he'd have been SLAUGHTERED by the press for buying success, just as they have IGNORED the ££££'s spent because it's a London club. (Mind - full marks to Spuds for getting there, IMHO. Its less money spent than gross wages. Can they afford so many big earners ?)

Interesting move for him. Would've thought he'd goto HSV if he moved to Germany. Especially with Wolfsburg liable to lose their best player (Dzeko) over the summer.

Wolfsburg has much more money than HSV. Magath got there about 50 million to spend in his time there. HSV only sell their best players to Bayern or nowadays to Man City for much money.

That Wolfsburg has more money comes from the fact that VW is fully behind that club.

Wolfsburg has much more money than HSV. Magath got there about 50 million to spend in his time there. HSV only sell their best players to Bayern or nowadays to Man City for much money.

That Wolfsburg has more money comes from the fact that VW is fully behind that club.

I know about the money issue but I think most would still regard HSV as the bigger club would they not? Plus as they haven't won much recently if he did so he could achieve legendary status. How come HSV stuggle so badly for money, they've raked in a fair bit recently for De Jong & Kompany and probably Boateng & get decent crowds. If they don't get much money they should stop giving away the likes of Olic and soon to be Guererro on free's.

I know about the money issue but I think most would still regard HSV as the bigger club would they not? Plus as they haven't won much recently if he did so he could achieve legendary status. How come HSV stuggle so badly for money, they've raked in a fair bit recently for De Jong & Kompany and probably Boateng & get decent crowds. If they don't get much money they should stop giving away the likes of Olic and soon to be Guererro on free's.

HSV won't play in Europe next season (as Wolfsburg) so no reason to think they're the bigger club. Probably they still are because of their history and all that.

But still I think McClaren does the right thing here because Wolfsburg is a much more stable club than Hamburg. As I've said some time ago - Hamburg are a bit like the "German Newcastle"

HSV won't play in Europe next season (as Wolfsburg) so no reason to think they're the bigger club. Probably they still are because of their history and all that.

But still I think McClaren does the right thing here because Wolfsburg is a much more stable club than Hamburg. As I've said some time ago - Hamburg are a bit like the "German Newcastle"

Surely that's Schalke?

Think Hamburg are more similar to us tbh. Great supporters and stadium. One manager per season and so on. Schalke had won the DFB Pokal (sim. to the FA Cup) only few years ago as well. Don't think they're too similar to us.

Gelsenkirchen is twinned with Newcastle n all.

It is indeed.

Think Hamburg are more similar to us tbh. Great supporters and stadium. One manager per season and so on. Schalke had won the DFB Pokal (sim. to the FA Cup) only few years ago as well. Don't think they're too similar to us.

Have you been auf Schalke? It's a fantastic stadium, with one hell of an atmosphere.

At any rate, the cities of Gelsenkirchen and Newcastle have a lot more in common than Newcastle and Hamburg, I'd wager. I've never actually been to Newcastle, but I've lived in both Hamburg and Gelsenkirchen. HSV always struck me as a bit of a prawn sandwich brigade (St Pauli for the real fans), while I'll never forget the 2000 Schalke fans waiting at the train station in 2001, who all started singing "shove the league trophy up the Bayerns' arse" the second the team arrived.

Hamburg:

http://www.kartliga-hamburg.de/phpcms/cont/grafix/hamburg_alster.jpg

Gelsenkirchen:

http://www.kellergrundbau.com/sitedesign/images/content/services/big/keller-specialgrout_gelsenkirchen_big.jpg

HSV fans:

http://www.n24.de/media/_fotos/bildergalerien/09_uefahsvwerder/hsv_fans_dpa.jpg

Schalke fan:

http://www.flingern-schickeria.de/wp-content/2007/05/schalke_fan.jpg