The Guardian: Newcastle fans held racist protests about Andy Cole's signing

Paully

Guest Heneage

In my 3 seasons as a Steward, I only ever saw one incident of racism, and the bloke quickly apologised after realizing what he'd said.

In my 3 seasons as a Steward, I only ever saw one incident of racism, and the bloke quickly apologised after realizing what he'd said.

Heard loads & still here the odd black cunt remark when Shola fucks up.

Heard loads & still here the odd black c*** remark when Shola f***s up.

Not saying it's acceptable, because of course it isn't, but in those instances "black" is used to describe him, with cunt being the actual insult, and the insult is being issued purely for footballing reasons and nothing to do with race.

It's like calling Le Tissier a big nosed twat or Dennis Wise a midget prick.

Not saying it's acceptable, because of course it isn't, but in those instances "black" is used to describe him, with c*** being the actual insult, and the insult is being issued purely for footballing reasons and nothing to do with race.

It's like calling Le Tissier a big nosed t*** or Dennis Wise a midget prick.

Sorry mate but that is the bog standard excuse trotted out by the racists in the 70s and 80s.

If he was ginger/fat/big nosed/dwarf/cemetary teeth/ludicrous haircut he would get stick from the crowd because of this, but if he's black you can't say anything.

Both terms are the insult not just one.

Not saying it's acceptable, because of course it isn't, but in those instances "black" is used to describe him, with c*** being the actual insult, and the insult is being issued purely for footballing reasons and nothing to do with race.

Sorry mate but that is the bog standard excuse trotted out by the racists in the 70s and 80s.

If he was ginger/fat/big nosed/dwarf/cemetary teeth/ludicrous haircut he would get stick from the crowd because of this, but if he's black you can't say anything.

Both terms are the insult not just one.

Agree entirely.  To say the term "black cunt" is ever understandable never mind acceptable is pretty shameful as far as I'm concerned, soz Chris.

No it's not

But when you call someone a doubled barreled insult like that, the first word is never neutral, it's always picked because it's being infered by the person shouting it that it's a negative trait to have, isn't it?  Fat, ginger, ugly, spotty, talentless, midget, black... You never hear someone call Peter Crouch "You tall prick" it's always "Lanky prick".  You don't hear "Rooney, you muscular arsehole" or "Barton, you brunette shitbag" do you?

If Michael Carrick puts a two footed challenge on an Arsenal player they might call him a northern wanker, would Newcastle fans do that, even though he's northern and it's a valid description?  Why do you specify "southern twat" rather than just twat?  It's inferring that you don't like southerners, that being southern is a bad trait to have and so forms part of the insult.  So what's the implication of calling Shola a black cunt rather than just a cunt?  Why not Geordie cunt?

But when you call someone a doubled barreled insult like that, the first word is never neutral, it's always picked because it's being infered by the person shouting it that it's a negative trait to have, isn't it?  Fat, ginger, ugly, spotty, talentless, midget, black... You never hear someone call Peter Crouch "You tall prick" it's always "Lanky prick".  You don't hear "Rooney, you muscular arsehole" or "Barton, you brunette shitbag" do you?

If Michael Carrick puts a two footed challenge on an Arsenal player they might call him a northern wanker, would Newcastle fans do that, even though he's northern and it's a valid description?  Why do you specify "southern twat" rather than just twat?  It's inferring that you don't like southerners, that being southern is a bad trait to have and so forms part of the insult.  So what's the implication of calling Shola a black cunt rather than just a cunt?  Why not Geordie cunt?

:clap:

Point extremely well made!

Guest toonlass

:clap:

Not saying it's acceptable, because of course it isn't, but in those instances "black" is used to describe him, with cunt being the actual insult, and the insult is being issued purely for footballing reasons and nothing to do with race.

Without wanting to rip off a Stewart Lee joke millions of people weren't oppressed because of their nose or their stature.

Guest elbee909

I wouldn't say its widespread but I do occasionally hear "black c**t" or "paki"" with regards to our players or opposition e.g. Jason Roberts.

Often the most stupid people are the most vocal.

To those who report to the stewards/club, etc - keep on doing it. Banning these folk from the grounds is the only way to get the message home that it's unacceptable behaviour.

That doesn't happen though....

"We can't do anything about it"

"it would just be your word against his"

Two phrases I heard last year at the Cardiff game.

Guest Heneage

To those who report to the stewards/club, etc - keep on doing it. Banning these folk from the grounds is the only way to get the message home that it's unacceptable behaviour.

That doesn't happen though....

"We can't do anything about it"

"it would just be your word against his"

Two phrases I heard last year at the Cardiff game.

Actually I tell a lie there was one incident where I heard Dyer referred to as a 'Black B******'. As I turned round to see who said it everyone went quiet and refused to say who had said it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wonder what Isaiah Rankin makes of all this! He has to be amongst one of the first Asian parentage footballers?

I didnt think he was a Asian I thought he was black

Aye, you're right. Hmm, sure Bradford had an Asian guy on their books in the late 90s.

Wonder what Isaiah Rankin makes of all this! He has to be amongst one of the first Asian parentage footballers?

I didnt think he was a Asian I thought he was black

Aye, you're right. Hmm, sure Bradford had an Asian guy on their books in the late 90s.

Bury had Indian international Baichung Bhutia play for them