Let's discuss penalties

Ishmael

This is inspired by a debate I've had on another forum in regard to Lampard missing his last 2 penalties and my belief that with goalkeepers now aware that Lampard only ever places his penalties one way, it makes Lampard's task to score far more difficult.

As a designated penalty taker, would you only have one system or would you have a few options?  Lampard only has one - should he have more in his arsenal?

As a goalkeeper, would you take note to previous attempts of opponents players.  Would you have a set plan for each one and a predetermined dive direction?

Guest firetotheworks

I think history has told us that you can prepare mentally and on the pitch for hours with penalties. Come the stepping up, the majority goes out of the window.

Unless you're Shearer.

Shearer missed penalties too. I've heard him say in interviews on more than one occassion that he'd pick his spot every single night before the game.

You can only prepare so much for penalties.

Guest firetotheworks

Shearer missed penalties too. I've heard him say in interviews on more than one occassion that he'd pick his spot every single night before the game.

You can only prepare so much for penalties.

Yeah, but in shoot outs he was dependable as fuck. Top corner every single time. Did he ever miss a penalty in a tournament? (aside from that one he skiied in the CL in 02/03, we were already 3-1 up or something anyway)

Shearer seemed to always take the first pen in shootouts. Think he did so vs Partizan on that awful night too (which is the one you're probably thinking of Icarus). Never missed for England in a shootout.

More than happy to have Lampard take them. Nothing can be more traumatic than events that happened when Beckham was the designated taker.

Guest firetotheworks

Everyone should just do what Mendietta used to do tbh.

Fight in the Falklands?

Aye, range war the ball into the goal.

Guest neesy111

I will never forgive shearer for that miss v the mackems made my life a wreck for 2 days  :dave:, only one fault in 10 years not bad though!

Guest Stephen927

Pick which way you want to go before you run up then just smash it. Only way to go, you don't want to be caught in two minds.

The England team want Le Tiss giving them penalty coaching. 48/49 scored, far surpasses Shearer.

I saw him talking about that the other day. His advice was to picture in advance the ball ending up in the back of the net, the cheering crowds and the hugs from team-mates. In other words, it was about approaching the kick in a relaxed and confident state.

What probably helped him though was the gift that he had naturally - a hard and accurate shot.