Let's discuss penalties

Ishmael

I will never forgive shearer for that miss v the mackems made my life a wreck for 2 days :dave:, only one fault in 10 years not bad though!

His penalty miss against Wolves which led to us crashing out of the CL race with a week to go - My first PL game at SJP too :angry:

Shearer missed penalties too. I've heard him say in interviews on more than one occassion that he'd pick his spot every single night before the game.

You can only prepare so much for penalties.

He missed loads, if it wasn't double figures for us by the time he retired, it was certainly close.

Shearer missed penalties too. I've heard him say in interviews on more than one occassion that he'd pick his spot every single night before the game.

He missed loads, if it wasn't double figures for us by the time he retired, it was certainly close.

Well even if it was, which would mean he missed 10 penalties, it wouldn't be a poor record. 10 misses in 10 years for us - certainly not bad.

Well even if it was, which would mean he missed 10 penalties, it wouldn't be a poor record. 10 misses in 10 years for us - certainly not bad.

He has a far better reputation for taking them than was the reality of the situation though. Always came across that he never missed when listening to commentators.

Shearer wasn't a great penalty taker, i'd have had Solano   Ameobi take every single one of ours. But your penalty taker is often little more than the team's golden boy.

Fixed.  O0

Shearer wasn't a great penalty taker, i'd have had Solano take every single one of ours. But your penalty taker is often little more than the team's golden boy.

Solano hit the bar from a peno late on against Boro when I went over once.  Cunt.

Shearer wasn't a great penalty taker, i'd have had Solano take every single one of ours. But your penalty taker is often little more than the team's golden boy.

I'm sorry but that's total rubbish.  Shearer not a great penalty taker?  How not?  He scored over 90% of his penalties.

Player Premier League penalties scored

Alan Shearer 58

Matthew Le Tissier 24

Thierry Henry 23

David Unsworth 23

Teddy Sheringham 21

Frank Lampard 19

Ruud van Nistelrooy 19

Peter Beardsley 18

Gareth Barry 17

Robbie Fowler 17

Gary McAllister 17

Decent record I'd say.

I can remember trying to count them before. I've got 8:

Everton H 99, Soton H 2000, Sunderland H 2000, Ipswich H 2002, Fulham H 2002, Partizan H 2003, Villa H 2003, Wolves H 2004

edit: 9 + Fulham A 2001

Am I missing any?

Ah yes, in that blue kit vs VDS! Felt like I was missing something.

Missed 1 for England (v Poland in 97) and I don't know about Blackburn.

Not to mention the newer football boots providing more power/accuracy. O0

But this offset by the fact the players are kicking a penny floater of a football now so the extra power makes player hit sky'ers.