Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another thing that did become apparent tonight was players not playing in the obvious man in space. There was countless times Johnson was on only for Gerrard or Barry to overcomplicate things or go through the middle.

I noticed that as well. I know if you're right footed, it's easier to pass the ball to the left, but on two or three occasions, Johnson was in loads of space in the second half, and they moved it the other way. As with the USA game, we looked more dangerous on the right, so I couldn't understand that.

Again, maybe it's unrelaxed minds at work.

Glad it wasn't just me. I can't fathom it because from my front room it looked absolutely clear as day that Johnson was not only the best ball but the easiest too.

Weird.

Drop back? They're attacking players, man. Just because they're more comfortable going forward doesn't mean they're incapable of 'the basics.'

Would you accuse Sneijder or Xavi of the same thing?

Anyway, if the players were playing to the best of their abilities they would've won tonight even if they are 'limited'. Our limitations might cost us eventually, but it's our inability to perform under pressure than will cost us in the short term.

We need to go all out, no restriction just go for it and it could be a landslide, we have the players. You have the feeling that the players didn't want to get injured or get blamed. Next match they have to go for it and it could end very well.

Drop back? They're attacking players, man. Just because they're more comfortable going forward doesn't mean they're incapable of 'the basics.'

If Capello is going to persist with playing 4-4-2 .. I pray there is no more of this Gerrard and Lampard combo.  It doesn't work, never has done. 

well that's the point - their skills are limited to playing attacking midfield and, crucially, having others cover for them, remove them from that position and/or take away their supporting midfielders and they look poor.

Xavi for instance can control a game from a deeper position and has done plenty of times, lampard or gerrard can't, so probably a bad example on your part. Iniesta would've been better as he is more of an attacker, yet he has no problem with some of the basics Sewelly and I have identified, neither did Scholes which is why in his later career he has adapted well to a role further back. Actually Kaka suffers from the same problem as Gerrard, he's basically invisible if you ask him to deviate from the niche role he is good at, he needed babysitters like Pirlo, Seedorf and Gattuso at Milan to do all the work for him.

Guest BooBoo

Capello did a Souness tonight. Ie noticed what was going wrong but steadfastly refused to change it. Knob.

Guest Heneage

Rooney's going to have to really put a performance in to win back the fans after his little outburst tonight. You NEVER criticize the fans, it's a footballing golden rule.

As for the formation, Heskey has had 2 games and bar one pass he's offered nothing. Time to change it and go 4-4-1-1. With the only changes being to drop Heskey for Cole and move Gerrard into that sortof attacking midfield/support striker role that him and Torres do so brilliantly.

1-1 draw. Capello doesn't have it in him to change it, the players are too scared to play. Out of the WC with a whimper.

Capello doesn't have it in him to change it?  Have you seen his achievements in his managerial career.  Jesus H...

His only serious mistake so far is thinking that the formation that has qualified so easily wouldn't need adapting right now.

Fuckn hell that was shite. Embaressing, stubborn tactics from Fabio. FA are fucked if we don't qualify, public will bay for blood & they've just given him a huge contract. NIce one

1-1 draw. Capello doesn't have it in him to change it, the players are too scared to play. Out of the WC with a whimper.

Capello doesn't have it in him to change it?  Have you seen his achievements in his managerial career.  Jesus H...

His only serious mistake so far is thinking that the formation that has qualified so easily wouldn't need adapting right now.

We'll see. If he sticks with this formation and these players, we're out.

Capello did a Souness tonight. Ie noticed what was going wrong but steadfastly refused to change it. Knob.

Someone the radio before the USA game (Colloymore?) said that Capello's one big weakness was his tendency to be stubborn. Couldn't have been more right.

Guest toonbaz

i couldnt believe when the last 2 changes were made that they left rooney on, for most of the second half he looked to be either carrying an injury, absolutely knackered or totally uninterested. should have been replaced.