Vuvuzela

Thespence

Maybe the Turkish fans should demand people respect their culture by allowing all fans to take a load of smoking flares or something into the stadium as well, then we can have people not seeing anything as well as not hearing anything.  Worth just seeing how far we can take it.

South Africa is hosting the world - in my eyes, a good host has empathy for their guests.

It is also interesting that the media all over the world is tuning in to this issue with "almost" universal condemnation. The casual coverage is bemoaning the traditional atmosphere that adds to the excitement of the match. Soccer/football is on of the few spectator sports that is enhanced by the crowds participation. The oohs and ahhs during particular passages of play are drowned out making this a passive viewer experience and the game is suffering for it.

The hardcore media over here is also condemning them as they want the excitement of the game to draw more people and make the game more popular.

When people are actually taking a pass on watching - this World Cup is being drowned out by the vulvazela.

South Africa is hosting the world - in my eyes, a good host has empathy for their guests.

It is also interesting that the media all over the world is tuning in to this issue with "almost" universal condemnation. The casual coverage is bemoaning the traditional atmosphere that adds to the excitement of the match. Soccer/football is on of the few spectator sports that is enhanced by the crowds participation. The oohs and ahhs during particular passages of play are drowned out making this a passive viewer experience and the game is suffering for it.

The hardcore media over here is also condemning them as they want the excitement of the game to draw more people and make the game more popular.

When people are actually taking a pass on watching - this World Cup is being drowned out by the vulvazela.

Too right. You don't invite a load of vegetarians around for dinner and then serve up steak tartar while showing 'em the photos from that bullfight you went to.

Its stupid, the world cup is in south africa, they blow horns and wear silly hats. The mongs who complain to the BBC about this really need to get a life.

And some South Americans pelt the field with missiles, then invade it and have mass punch-ups. Would that be okay, too?

The Vuvuzela's have got on my tits and destroyed what could have been a great World Cup, that and the shite football, but my last post in here took it too far; Africa do deserve to host it, and do it their way, but this atmosphere killer is a tragedy to what should have been a spectacular world cup and has lessened the experience for me.

In summary: I apologise for being a tit and taken it too far.

Sorry.

The Vuvuzela's have got on my tits and destroyed what could have been a great World Cup, that and the s**** football, but my last post in here took it too far; Africa do deserve to host it, and do it their way, but this atmosphere killer is a tragedy to what should have been a spectacular world cup and has lessened the experience for me.

Sorry.

We will buy you a vuvuzela.

The Vuvuzela's have got on my tits and destroyed what could have been a great World Cup, that and the s**** football, but my last post in here took it too far; Africa do deserve to host it, and do it their way, but this atmosphere killer is a tragedy to what should have been a spectacular world cup and has lessened the experience for me.

Sorry.

:lol:

currant.

You won't be laughing when you return to SJP next season to see this epidemic spread and the 5 charvers behind you pumping out 130dB of pure annoyance for 90mins.

Anyway, that's me done on the subject.

Guest Phil K

Its stupid, the world cup is in south africa, they blow horns and wear silly hats. The mongs who complain to the BBC about this really need to get a life.

Watch with earplugs do you ?

Blowing horns is one thing, these things are totally different.

They are DESTROYING not helping the atmosphere.

Sorry.

Don't apologize. people are entitled to their opinion.

The apologists for this atmosphere-killer deserve to have them anally inserted, or at least blasted in both ears for 90 minutes as f*****g penance for their pomposity.

Of course Africa deserve the World Cup. And their strikes and balls ups they have made are quite normal.

These Vuvu-whatsits are another matter entirely.

Sorry.

He can have mine. Bored of it.

Sorry.

No worries TT, and thanks. Sorry also for the over reaction to your post.

It really is unfortunate that the vuvuzelas are making the world cup experience so bad for some. It will be quite ridiculous if after all the fears regarding things being ready on time and the competition running smoothly, that the vuvuzelas will be what spoils everything.

"[vuvuzelas] reflect 'the sound of Africa'". If I were African, I'd be going spare at comments like that. It's like saying Chas and Dave reflect the sound of Britain. FFS.

That sounds shit anyway. Just commentary? We are complaining about the lack of atmosphere, so this doesn't really fix it.

However, well done to BBC for taking some action instead of the South Africans being stubborn.

"[vuvuzelas] reflect 'the sound of Africa'". If I were African, I'd be going spare at comments like that. It's like saying Chas and Dave reflect the sound of Britain. FFS.

That sounds shit anyway. Just commentary? We are complaining about the lack of atmosphere, so this doesn't really fix it.

However, well done to BBC for taking some action instead of the South Africans being stubborn.

Deffo, but it looks like the only action they can take is cutting out all of the stadium sounds, which will probably worsen the problem (except in the case of South Africa games). There was some article in the Spiegel about the technological difficulties of just filtering out the vuvuzelas. That surprised me, because I thought they'd be able to tune them out relatively easily given the monotonous, one-tone nature of the din.

Guest Phil K

That sounds s*** anyway. Just commentary? We are complaining about the lack of atmosphere, so this doesn't really fix it.

A constant cacophony of ONE note blasted incessantly is not amosphere. Its a health hazard.

Staggered by some dozy tits saying it should be respected because it's African culture.

Like saying drive by shootings are American culture.

there's some terribly thought out analogies in this thread, the sound is annoying but it's nowhere near as bad as shooting people or throwing things onto the pitch. it's not going away, just deal with it you whining maggots.

It will be quite ridiculous if after all the fears regarding things being ready on time and the competition running smoothly, that the vuvuzelas will be what spoils everything.

That's what is so insane about it, they have spent years wanting a World Cup, spent years preparing for it, spending so much money and time building new grounds, facilities, revamping whole cities etc etc etc

... and it's a stupid mass produced plastic horn that is ruining part of the experience.

there's some terribly thought out analogies in this thread, the sound is annoying but it's nowhere near as bad as shooting people or throwing things onto the pitch. it's not going away, just deal with it you whining maggots.

I'm sure we all agree that pelting players and mass brawls are wrong, but just because you draw the line a little further back other people doesn't mean they're "whining maggots" or "mongs".