Should England fail to qualify from the group?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll. :lol:

I would have Carroll all day over Heskey

Should we fail to qualify i would have a complete overhaul of the squad if i were the manager.

Heskey, SWP, Lampard, James, Carragher, Carrick, Defoe, Upson, Ferdinand would get nowhere near the squad.

My first line up would be

.............................................................Hart..........................................................................

Johnson............................Dawson..................................Terry...................................Cole

.............................................................Barry.................................... ...........................

AJohnson............................Wilshire..............................Gerrard..................................Cole

.........................................................Rooney....................................................................

Subs

Green

Lennon

Huddlestone

STaylor

Carroll

Walcott

Young

Milner

Looks like you've picked them names out of a hat tbh.

TBH not a lot of thought has gone into the subs, but i think the starting XI would has the potential to be exciting

:lol: Righteo then, ignoring your subs:

You've inexplicably sacked off Ferdinand, Lampard, Defoe and Carrick, which gives the indication that this is the work of a madman.

Wilshire is first choice centre mid when he hasn't proven himself at Arsenal yet by a long shot.

Dawson's first choice centre half.

Adam Johnson's barely had a kick for England yet and he's first choice.

Other than that, it's... erm... pretty much as it is at the minute then. :lol: Apart from Hart, who could end up being as big a disaster as the rest of them.

I'm a fan of Adam Johnson and Joe Hart for the record.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I admit its radical and probably too much too soon, but remember i said this would be the team should the worst happen

Dropping Lampard wouldnt be required i think he would retire. The rest are either not good enough or on the downward spiral.

I think what you would have in Wilshire is a talented player who noone knows who wouldnt give a shit about the opposition.

I would be really disillusioned to see Lampard, SWP and Heskey in an England shirt again. Frank will have another good couple of seasons for Chelsea but there is obviously a mental block with England so move on

Guest Mantis

If we fail, the whole board of the FA shoudl be sacked for giving Capello a new contract weeks before the tournament started.  This was lunacy on a grand scale.  As for the players, keep about half a dozen of the 23 and start over again with younger hungrier faces.

If you bomb out and Capello leaves, the media will no doubt undermine your new manager. If he drops old players like Lamps, Ferdinand and so on to focus on younger players, he'll be lynched for dropping the biggest English names. If he keeps the old players like Lamps, Ferdinand and so on, he'll be lynched for sticking to a recipe of players that hasn't worked out.

It's lose/lose for whoever becomes your next manager, you'd be a madman to take the job.

If you bomb out and Capello leaves, the media will no doubt undermine your new manager. If he drops old players like Lamps, Ferdinand and so on to focus on younger players, he'll be lynched for dropping the biggest English names. If he keeps the old players like Lamps, Ferdinand and so on, he'll be lynched for sticking to a recipe of players that hasn't worked out.

It's lose/lose for whoever becomes your next manager, you'd be a madman to take the job.

It's always lose/lose, the media are almost the entire problem with the England football team.

The players play like they've got the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Getting rid of the manager is pointless, the players aren't good enough.

Exactly this.  :sadnod:

the players are good enough to get to at least the quarters. poor tactics and organisation is the big failing here.

the players are good enough to get to at least the quarters. poor tactics and organisation is the big failing here.

They're struggling to control and pass the ball on a consistent basis. Doesn't help when the boss is chopping and changing the team, granted, but they're not getting the job done. Capello will get the stick but his players are letting him down badly imho.

They're struggling to control and pass the ball on a consistent basis. Doesn't help when the boss is chopping and changing the team, granted, but they're not getting the job done. Capello will get the stick but his players are letting him down badly imho.

true in that they are letting him down but only as much as he is letting them down. we've seen these players play a lot better in our domestic league against frankly better opposition.

if its true he not announcing the team till 2 hrs before then it follows that the team he wants to use isn't regularly working together in training. for all we say they are pros on stupid ammounts of cash so they should be able to play anywhere etc when really we know deep down that they need time to settle in and get used to new ideas. we all also know this squad isn't suited to 4-4-2. we know player for player we are better than the other teams in our group. right now i'm putting the majority of the blame on capello.

true in that they are letting him down but only as much as he is letting them down. we've seen these players play a lot better in our domestic league against frankly better opposition.

if its true he not announcing the team till 2 hrs before then it follows that the team he wants to use isn't regularly working together in training. for all we say they are pros on stupid ammounts of cash so they should be able to play anywhere etc when really we know deep down that they need time to settle in and get used to new ideas. we all also know this squad isn't suited to 4-4-2. we know player for player we are better than the other teams in our group. right now i'm putting the majority of the blame on capello.

That's all fair enough but the XI he has chosen have underperformed badly. Doesn't really matter what the formation and tactics are if the players can't perform the basics of the sport to a competent level.

The players have shown that they are not good enough to at least get to the quarters so far.

That's all fair enough but the XI he has chosen have underperformed badly. Doesn't really matter what the formation and tactics are if the players can't perform the basics of the sport to a competent level.

and why cant they do it when we know that they can when we see it week in week out. it seems to me that the whole team is uncomfortable the way it is set out.

Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA's head of football development, warned before the game of a talent gap between the seniors and European Championship-winning Under-17s. "World Cup 2014 will be difficult for England. I don't think there are the obvious quality ones coming through who can replicate what we have currently unless we can fast-track one or two of the younger ones," Brooking said. "You wait five years for them [the U-17s] to come through."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/19/england-world-cup-fabio-capello

The players don't seem to have the bottle to win games so far and I don't see how Capello can be blamed for that.  The players train together so I doubt that he just throws them together a couple of hours before the start of a game, even if that's when he tells them that they are playing.  The players have played well for Capello until recently, they've just got to the tournament and bottled it so far.

and why cant they do it when we know that they can when we see it week in week out. it seems to me that the whole team is uncomfortable the way it is set out.

That's the $64,000 question at the minute. Don't mind Capello getting a bit of stick when it's deserved but the players need to up their game drastically.

Guest Brummiemag

At the end of the day we can keep on blaming the managers, like we have done for the last 30 years or more, and yes Capello has made mistakes, but the root of the problem is that most english players are not comfortable on the ball and lack the necessary skill at the highest level.

Very few of them are prepared to try and beat a man and most want to get rid of the ball far to quickly.

Even Algeria looked more comfortable on the ball then we did

I think some of its down to the way we train the kids, its all about work rate, passing and not making mistakes rather than letting them enjoy the football and encouraging them to express themselves.